IGNORED

I need a programmer.

E4Bobashotmace

Hello, I am Bobashotmace of the E4,I used to make atari games (I have a few somewhere lyin around but I can't find them), I came up with ideas and my partner programmed, however my partner no longer works with me, so, I now have ideas, no one to make them into code and stuff, and no way to get them onto carts, AA could make carts but, as I don't understand most all of the 2600 programming tutorial, I need a programmer. I have many ideas, one very similar to Maze Craze and an Adventure-ish game off of a story I wrote a few years back, I have more but those are the 2 I'd most like to see on cart, I can give more details once I have a programmer.

small third party thing ya. uhh, 2 games I had made for fun a few years back and'd like to make a lot better, are dis one boxin thing, and this one drivin thing, huh, nice descriptions eh? And I know that odds are nobodys gonna say yes, but ya never know and I am lookin other places too but hey, what could it hurt to put up a wanted ad.

About the name- very long story but just a hope after ep II, Boba forever man.

Edited by E4Bobashotmace

Hello, I am Bobashotmace of the E4,I used to make atari games (I have a few somewhere lyin around but I can't find them), I came up with ideas and my partner programmed, however my partner no longer works with me, so, I now have ideas, no one to make them into code and stuff, and no way to get them onto carts, AA could make carts but, as I don't understand most all of the 2600 programming tutorial, I need a programmer. I have many ideas, one very similar to Maze Craze and an Adventure-ish game off of a story I wrote a few years back, I have more but those are the 2 I'd most like to see on cart, I can give more details once I have a programmer.

1006633[/snapback]

What 3rd party? What are the EXACT names of the games you made?

I'm going to try to definitively answer this type of post once and for all (yeah, right):

(Ahem)

To All Non-Programmer Idea Peddlers:

Programmers already have more ideas than they know what do do with; without any of yours.  They don't need your ideas.  Probably most of them don't want your ideas.  Most game programmers have more ideas already than they have time to begin, let alone complete.

That said, a good, well-thought out, well-presented idea is worth looking at, always.

So if you want a programmer to even consider your idea for 30 seconds, here's what you need to do:

1. Present a concrete, good idea with lots of visual aids.  Writing a game takes hours and hours of work.  If you want a coder to even consider, for a minute, dedicating that kind of time, you had better put in some serious time of your own preparing your idea.  Time measured in hours.  Make mock screenshots.  Design some sprites.  Learn the capabilities of the machine you want the game written for and fit your idea to them.  It isn't easy to understand the Stella guide if you aren't a coder, but if you want somebody to even glance sideways at your idea you better be willing to put in the time to at least understand a little of it.  Do some legwork and demonstrate it.  Spend some time working out your idea on paper; playtesting it to make sure it works.

2. Present a compelling reason why a coder should take on the project *other* than the fact that you think it would be really cool.  Does your idea fill an underserved niche in the 2600's library?  Is it a completely unique concept?  Are lots of people clamoring for a game of this type?  Does it present a unique, fun challenge?

3. Be humble.  You are asking for far, far, far more than you are giving or will ever contribute.  Coders already work for pennies/hour working on their own ideas, if that.  You want the programmer to do something for you, essentially for free?  Don't make demands.

4. Be flexible.  Be willing to put in yet more time reworking screenshots, rethinking game mechanics, designing different sprites.

The gold standard here is Adam Tierney (salstadt here at AA).  Find some of the threads he started to publicize his own ideas and see what he did.  See especially the Prince of Persia thread, and see how much work he put into that, over a period of weeks.  You don't have to be the artist he is, but you better be willing to make up the difference in sweat.

What's a good idea?  Can't give an exact definition, but here are some starters:

1. It is unique.  Either absolutely unique or unique to the platform.

2. It has a tested, proven game mechanic.  Which is fun.

3. It uses the capabilities of the machine it is designed for well.

4. It is fun to more people than just you.

The most important thing is to DO SOME WORK.  If your idea doesn't have some mock screenshots, then it is worthless.  Period.

1006689[/snapback]

Well said.

1. ...Make mock screenshots.  Design some sprites.  Learn the capabilities of the machine you want the game written for and fit your idea to them.  It isn't easy to understand the Stella guide if you aren't a coder, but if you want somebody to even glance sideways at your idea you better be willing to put in the time to at least understand a little of it.

1006689[/snapback]

Someone should write a FAQ about the TIA's general limitations. I know that there are tricks do get around some of them, but having an easy-to-understand document that would say in 80% of cases whether a given mockup was realistic would be good.

I'd suggest starting with a description of the colors, screen resolution, and objects, and then noting that the 2600 can do about 6-11 "changes" per scan line (moving an object slightly is a change, but moving an object freely usually requires a whole scan line). So it's not possible to have single-line resolution on both players and their colors, both missile shapes and the ball shape, and playfield color, all while having a full-width assymetric (non-repeated) playfield.

The main part of the pitfall screen involves 6 changes per scan line (player shape, player color, enemy-object shape, enemy-object color, PF1, and PF2). Well within the 6-11 limit. Hunchy II requires 16 every two scan lines (player shape, enemy shape, PF1 four times, PF2 four times, Missile 0 nudge, size, and enable, and Missile 1 nudge, size, and enable). Donkey Kong requires 9 on the scan lines with the hammer (player shape, player color, barrel shape, PF1x2, PF2x2, Missile 1 enable, and Ball enable).

Thinking in terms of "changes" is a bit of an oversimplification, but I think it's useful from a feasibility perspective and also an initial code-design perspective (figure out how much time the most basic loads and stores will take, then figure how much extra time there is).

Someone should write a FAQ about the TIA's general limitations.  I know that there are tricks do get around some of them, but having an easy-to-understand document that would say in 80% of cases whether a given mockup was realistic would be good.

I'd suggest starting with a description of the colors, screen resolution, and objects, and then noting that the 2600 can do about 6-11 "changes" per scan line

If some programmer would be willing to write this up, I'd be glad to create mockups of various right/wrong screen combinations to illustrate it.

In other words... I need a programmer. (Sorry again.) ;)

But seriously, I'd be glad to help. I think something like that would be great to have.

Do yourself a favour and search the site for people having ideas, looking for a programmer.

BTW: You used to make Atari games? :ponder:

1006666[/snapback]

Hey moderator,why dont you send him a personal message about his conduct on the forum?,or delete my post?,and you Old Tom,try to be less ignorant and Help the guy to find a programmar.and...by the way.....your games could be better,try to make it better,if i would a Atari Dasm cuckoo,Ill do more that Coloured Squares dueling in front of a Black playfield........so...god bless you,and Merry Cristmas......god save the america,and god bless the queen.... :P