IGNORED

Easiest way to open 2600 carts?

8bitclassics

I have a bunch of old combat carts that will be using to make new carts, and for the most part, I can open without much incident, but once and a while, the internal plastic clips break. Not that big of a deal as there are many in there holding it together. But wondering, if somebody has figured out the easiest way to open these things with the least amount of damage.

Thanks,

Corey

I bet Al has a few tips! :P

When you are ready to open the cart push the gate fully back. You will see the clips on the bottom. Pull the top off on one side away from how the clip is locked. It should snap off without trouble. The best Combats to strip are those text ones that have a flat black look to 'em. The label is made out of some type of plastic, and not paper. They come off pretty easy and clean without leaving to much glue behind.

you may have to blast.

1007484[/snapback]

That is about it :x I understand to push the pc board cover thing back, with the two clips. But are you saying break them off? I can actually get them both unhooked at the same time, but it doesn't help me with the others.

As for labels, I like the ones with the plastic type label material. But I have a heat gun also, and that works well also.

Corey

I think I've described this before somewhere in the forum, but I'll describe it again here. After some practice, opening 2600 carts will become second nature. First, you obviously need to remove the screw, hiding under the label. That's the easy part. There are six tabs holding the two halves of the cartridge shell together, three running against each of the long edges. In order to get the cartridge apart, you need to apply pressure along one edge of one half, which will release the tabs allowing you to pull the cart apart.

Using both hands, hold the cartridge with the dust cover facing up towards your face. Place the fingertips of your left hand along the bottom half of the cart facing away from you, and your right fingertips along the top (label) edge of the cart facing away from you. Then use the palm of your left hand (near your wrist) to push the bottom half of the cart away from you, while at the same time using your fingertips on your right hand to push the top half of the cart towards you. This will usually release the tabs and you can then "pivot" the cart open. If it doesn't work at first, trying moving your right fingertips to different positions along the top half of the shell.

Just takes a little bit of practice. :)

..Al

• 2 years later...
Did a search but came up with nothing. I figured it might have been discussed.

Anyway, you should do a tutorial with pictures :) Right now, my hands/fingers feel like pretzels. Will keep working at it though.

Thanks!

Corey

I just finished taking apart 7 old carts to use the housings. Damn you dirty apes! ;)

I have heard of the flathead screwdriver pop-up trick but I think that just ruins the housings. Albert's method works but is very sore on the fingers.

Edited by Atari Charles

I have heard of the flathead screwdriver pop-up trick but I think that just ruins the housings. Albert's method works but is very sore on the fingers.

You may be pressing too hard with your finger tips. You should be pressing against one edge of the cart with some force while you push in the top side of the shell (to release the tabs) with the tips of your other hand. It doesn't require that much force. If your fingers are sore after only seven carts, you are applying far too much force. I have opened literally hundreds of carts in the past few days and my fingers are fine. I've opened at least 100 in the last two hours.

..Al

You may be pressing too hard with your finger tips. You should be pressing against one edge of the cart with some force while you push in the top side of the shell (to release the tabs) with the tips of your other hand. It doesn't require that much force. If your fingers are sore after only seven carts, you are applying far too much force. I have opened literally hundreds of carts in the past few days and my fingers are fine. I've opened at least 100 in the last two hours.

..Al

Come on now, some "guys" have girly hands, give her it a break.

I'd say the most hated cart to work on are those damn E.T. carts. I've gotten some tips on how to easily remove the tin foil section of the label using Packing tape and then tearing it off. Goo Gone is a lifesaver as is good ole' Windex.

Those silver labels are terrible to work on but can be done. If someone doesn't step up and start manufacturing new cart housings, then in time we will be looking at those million E.T. carts strip for cart housings.

• 1 year later...

I think I've described this before somewhere in the forum, but I'll describe it again here. After some practice, opening 2600 carts will become second nature. First, you obviously need to remove the screw, hiding under the label. That's the easy part. There are six tabs holding the two halves of the cartridge shell together, three running against each of the long edges. In order to get the cartridge apart, you need to apply pressure along one edge of one half, which will release the tabs allowing you to pull the cart apart.

Using both hands, hold the cartridge with the dust cover facing up towards your face. Place the fingertips of your left hand along the bottom half of the cart facing away from you, and your right fingertips along the top (label) edge of the cart facing away from you. Then use the palm of your left hand (near your wrist) to push the bottom half of the cart away from you, while at the same time using your fingertips on your right hand to push the top half of the cart towards you. This will usually release the tabs and you can then "pivot" the cart open. If it doesn't work at first, trying moving your right fingertips to different positions along the top half of the shell.

Just takes a little bit of practice. :)

..Al

Yay! It works!! :D :thumbsup:

I useually use a hammer, with good results. Oh...you said without damaging.... :P

Well, for the most part, after getting the screw out, you just kinda squeeze one half of the cart together, the back half, and the other half should just pop right off. Be sure to remove or cut the end label it can be a pain to get it open if the lable is still intact. (thoug it is possible)

Ha! Okay use it very carefully...100+ combat carts and counting. I wonder if I can use them for siding on my shed????

You would need a lot of carts to make siding for your shed, but if you ever do it, post some pictures :)

I've seen a table made out of Combat carts. The 4 table legs and table top were all carts. It did have a piece of glass on top, which made it look extra nice.

Edited by seanhq

There's 6 tabs holding those stupid Atari carts together? :? :ponder: That's so unnecessary.I'm surprised they or anyone else didn't GLUE carts together back then,Better tabs than glue though ,that's for sure.Leave it to Atari to make things difficult for folks,that they're famous for :D

Edited by Rik

There's 6 tabs holding those stupid Atari carts together? :? :ponder: That's so unnecessary.I'm surprised they or anyone else didn't GLUE carts together back then,Better tabs than glue though ,that's for sure.

Back then they built things to last, so 6 clips was probably being light on what they originally wanted to do ;)

There's 6 tabs holding those stupid Atari carts together? :? :ponder: That's so unnecessary.I'm surprised they or anyone else didn't GLUE carts together back then,Better tabs than glue though ,that's for sure.

Back then they built things to last, so 6 clips was probably being light on what they originally wanted to do ;)

True,like i said they could have glued them shut,which is MORE secure imo.Some of my carts are so loose and the sides you can pass a playing card through.I just wonder why they didn't do that,glad they didn't though.

Edited by Rik