IGNORED

Pro-Play Home Arcade unit Found!

Rob Mitchell

I found this item at a thrft recently. I just picked it up and hauled it home in my trailer today.

It's a Pro-Play Home Arcade unit.

"Upright Cabinet For The NES! Rare and hard to find these days, it makes your NES into a full upright arcade machine !"

Here's a page about it: http://robotron.freeservers.com/proplay.html

1980s arcade style cabinet made for the NES. It features a space for a 20" monitor and two arcade sticks with 2 buttons each and Start and Select. It has a space for a front loading NES as well as 2 controller cables. Sold as a kit from California for $249 in the late 1980s. Solidly built with particle board. Mine needs cosmetic attention. Here's an ad for one:

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

post-1638-1138420990_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Congrats. those are cool looking. I remember that Orphan Games I think had one and it was very heavy to ship (he wanted pick up only). Keep us posted with pics on how it looks, cleans up, works, etc. Were there any other arcade units for consoles like this (or maybe plans on how to make one in the magazines of the era)?

Take care,

RG

Solidly built with particle board.

1008320[/snapback]

Interesting contradiction. :P

1008363[/snapback]

Well :) :) It's alot more solid than any other 2 joystick Robotron or Battlezone setup I have tried so far !! :P This thing weighs more than 200 pounds without the monitor.

Wasn't particle board the material of choice for arcade unit builders?

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Edited by Rob Mitchell

I remember Toys R Us had them back in the late 80's. I thought it was the coolest. Also did not know it came with the tv. Thats pretty slick :)

Congrats on the find. I did not even know what to call it to look one up!

FTWIW, cabs were made from MDF, particle board and plywood (5/8 on the imports and 3/4 (17/64 to be exact) in the US.

Cassidy

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

UPDATE yesterday i picked it up and was surprised by some bonus' she threw in with it. A pac man lunchbox and thermos a pac man board game a pac man glass tumbler a pac man card game a pac man puzzle and 2 mario bros 2 glasses. PS running like a dream after an extensive cleanup last night will have some new pics up soon

• 1 year later...

Very old Bump!

If my memory serves me well... Isn't there a Black version of the Pro-Play Home Arcade for the Sega Master System??

I too have the NES one although it currently is not in the best shape. Missing front panel, bezel, plexi and all stickers.

• 1 month later...

very old thread I remember these had a friend that had one only bad thing I ever remember on them was the controller cables would come undone in play.Random thought one of these plus a powerpak would be a ultimate machine in a game room to bad they are hard to find.

• 1 month later...

very old thread I remember these had a friend that had one only bad thing I ever remember on them was the controller cables would come undone in play.Random thought one of these plus a powerpak would be a ultimate machine in a game room to bad they are hard to find.

Hard to find. Yes. Hard to repoduce? Surely not.

It wouldn't be the same, but it would achieve the same effect. A few measurements and some work and its a done deal. Now if only I knew someone that had one to measure. Maybe someone on the internet that would post some picks with measurements laid over it. You know just the basic stuff...

If I were to build one would that take away from the real stuff? I think of it like a MAME. There is room for both in the world. Just saying is all.

Hard to find. Yes. Hard to repoduce? Surely not.

It wouldn't be the same, but it would achieve the same effect. A few measurements and some work and its a done deal. Now if only I knew someone that had one to measure. Maybe someone on the internet that would post some picks with measurements laid over it. You know just the basic stuff...

If I were to build one would that take away from the real stuff? I think of it like a MAME. There is room for both in the world. Just saying is all.

One of the machines I operate is a CNC router so if someone could send me the dimensions (preferably pre drawn in a .dxf file but not required) I can cut them to exact CNC specifications. Shipping might kill the deal but I am willing to cut them/bring them to the PO for free and can do as many as people would want. Let me know...

• Like 1

I bought one of those brand new from Circus World back in the day. $200 or something like that. Might have gotten it for $100 on closeout come to think of it. Anyway, I wasn't impressed with playing my NES in an arcade cabinet with a smallish TV. Console gaming is best experienced with a couch, coffee table and large screen :)

• 2 months later...

I always wanted to take a gutted arcade cabinet, and make it a 2 player nes cabinet. I think it would have a more classic feel than these pro play home arcades...

I remember seeing them advertised, but I didn't have an NES at the time, so it was just neat to see what they came out with. :)