IGNORED

What voltage does the 2600 need?

BadBoy House

The power supply that came with my 2600 buzzes. i can get another one no problem i just need to know what power rating a new supply would need to be

The model number on the bottom of the console says CX-2600 U. There are no voltage details on the console or on the power supply.

thanks guys

1008528[/snapback]

Hi there. I had a similar issue, and the answers are this:

Input 120v 60hz 9w

output 9v DC 500 mA

That's directly from my powersupply.

The 2600 uses a 7805 voltage regulator, and needs at least 7 volts DC (technically up to 30 volts, but somewhere well below that it will overheat) and 500 mA or higher current capability. There is an input to one of the chips which controls the color output, derived in part from the unregulated power input, so you might notice slight color change if you use different input voltage from the original adapter, but this is nothing to worry about. The plug is a 2-conductor, 1/8 inch (3.2 mm) phone plug with tip positive.

To help keep my 2600s running cooler, I bought a wall wart that I happened to find with the correct plug, polarity, and a 7.5 volt 750 mA rating.

Edited by A.J. Franzman
  • Like 1

The 2600 uses a 7805 voltage regulator, and needs at least 7 volts DC (technically up to 30 volts, but somewhere well below that it will overheat) and 500 mA or higher current capability. There is an input to one of the chips which controls the color output, derived in part from the unregulated input, so you might notice slight color change if you use different input voltage from the original adapter, but this is nothing to worry about. The plug is a 2-conductor, 1/8 inch (3.2 mm) phone plug with tip positive.

1008716[/snapback]

AFAIK, 7805's maximum rating is 12V 1A, not 30V.

http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM340.pdf (yes, this datasheet covers the LM78xx parts too)

Top of page 3, absolute maximum DC input voltage = 35 volts.

This is a modern part, some older/other vendors parts are only rated to 30 volts.

My "overheating" comment was due to inadequate heat-sinking as installed in the 2600, not any limitation of the regulator itself.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

FYI "mAh" is a battery capacity rating (milliampere-hours), not a wall adapter rating. Drop the "h", because a wall wart does not have any particular number of hours that it will run before it is drained!

Did you actually measure the current being used by the Atari, and the voltage on the Vcc bus? 200 mA is definitely not adequate. Try running Pitfall II on that setup, see how long it works before something dies.

Edited by A.J. Franzman
  • Like 1

http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM340.pdf (yes, this datasheet covers the LM78xx parts too)

Top of page 3, absolute maximum DC input voltage = 35 volts.

This is a modern part, some older/other vendors parts are only rated to 30 volts.

My "overheating" comment was due to inadequate heat-sinking as installed in the 2600, not any limitation of the regulator itself.

1008722[/snapback]

Interesting, I stand corrected.

1008722[/snapback]

Given that feeding the regulator 13 volts will produce twice as much heat as feeding it 9, and feeding it 21 volts would produce four times as much, I think keeping the voltage lower is probably a good idea. There's not a 12 volt absolute maximum rating, but a 7805 that isn't well heat sinked can easily overheat at higher voltages.

• Like 1

I've good luck using any DC 9 volt supply rated at 1/2amp or higher with the correct plug/polarity. It's real easy to find those just about anywhere, espeacially at the thrifts for real cheap. If I necessary I'll even go so far as to solder the correct plug onto the end, about an additional $0.59 around here anyway.

there's people selling 2600 power adapters on ebay for 4.99 GBP - i'll get one of those. i can put up with the buzzing until then

1008949[/snapback]

CAUTION (I THINK!!):

Doesn't Europe use another electrical system (noticed gbp on the price).

I know the British use another type of electric plug than the U.S.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong??!?!!?

Edited by Wonder007

there's people selling 2600 power adapters on ebay for 4.99 GBP - i'll get one of those. i can put up with the buzzing until then

1008949[/snapback]

CAUTION (I THINK!!):

Doesn't Europe use another electrical system (noticed gbp on the price).

I know the British use another type of electric plug than the U.S.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong??!?!!?

1009236[/snapback]

You're right, and OP BadBoy House doesn't say where he's from... BUT - the model number from the console is a clue, "CX-2600 U"; the "U" is for Europe. He probably is in the UK.

yeh i'm in the uk

1009463[/snapback]

Different voltage outputs of 3rd party adapters is precisely why I don't cotton to using 3rd party power adapters. I used one when I got my 6 switch unit and within a few months the 6 switcher was fried. So rather than use another 3rd party adapter when I got new insides for the 6 switcher, I went and got a factory Atari adapter. From that point on I only use factory adapters that have the proper Atari specs on it. I don't do that "oh you can go over by a few amps or a few volts" gambling anymore. The best thing anyone can do is go through Best Electronics for the power adapter that he sells, and in the long run it will actually be cheaper than an over or underrated 3rd party adapter. Plus since all the stuff Best sells is Atari original (with the exception of the improved versions of the inner PCB's for the joysticks and a few other select items), you know that with Best Electronics you really can't go wrong with factory original NOS.

RichG1972

The different console versions came with different power supplies.

They were 9V (+ in the middle). But there have been 400mA

versions for the 6-switch and 500 mA for the junior IIRC.

9V and 500 mA is the best choice and should work for every console.

You also have to take into account that the cartridge you plug into the

Atari also needs power. When the console was designed, they didn't

think about Pitfall II cartridges which need a little bit more power than

a PacMan cart.

I would not buy anything below 500 mA. If the supply can handle more

current, that does not hurt the console. It is just a bit more expensive.

I am running my consoles with a 1000mA supply at 9V and never had

trouble with that.

• 16 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2022 at 5:05 PM, 8Ball said:

I have two atari power supplies. They both actually read (with multimeter)15 volts DC. Is this acceptable or am i sure to fry it?

Just a mulitmeter, no load? As Atari's PSU's for 2600 were unregulated you will probably see a much higher voltage than when it is actually being used (under load). The 2600 has the regulator bit inside the case to bring it down to 5 volts.