IGNORED

Rent-A-NES

Anyone remember when the business of Video Stores renting NES games and machines began and approximately when it ended? Many of the NES games I buy at thrifts are old renter games and the NES which I use is an old rental machine (#11 written in perm marker on top and the video store sticker on the loading gate) however the NES has a sticker on bottom written "Sold April 2002, no Warranty" Surely no one was renting the NES as late as 2002 :? Why would a store keep it in stock that long? Best I remember as soon as the Genesis and SNES came out most video store in my are no longer rented NES games, am I remembering wrong?

Depends on the store. I know a few mom-and-pops around here in Alabama that rented NES games into this decade (one actually rented out Game Boy/Game Boy Color games as well, I bought a lot of their unlicensed/rare stuff for those).

The big chains pretty much dumped the older systems as soon as the new generation was firmly entrenched. I doubt you could get NES stuff at Blockbuster or Hollywood after 1995 when all the carts got shoved off the shelf and replaced with Playstation and Saturn CDs.

A few stores actually rented 2600 games out as well during its heyday. I never saw that myself, but someone here (Rick Weis???) has a few carts that came in VHS-sized rental boxes from a store somewhere in NY.

Depends on the store.  I know a few mom-and-pops around here in Alabama that rented NES games into this decade

1008627[/snapback]

That may be the case with my NES as it is from Pharoah Video in Arab, Alabama, I'll bet my machine MORE than payed for itself :)

I grew up renting since my parents wouldn't buy me one and wouldn't let me buy one with my own money either (funny it's my money, but whatever that's parents for you). Noble's Video and Electronics in Jewell, IA. My buddy Chris and I would rent a system and 2-3 games for a weekend and play them to death. We played Battletoads so many times we made up a song we could sing along to the lyrics. We left Super Mario Bros. 3 on between meals and got so excited when we beat it the cord accidentally got tripped and we didn't see the ending. Renting was how I got hooked on Mega Man games.

I grew up renting since my parents wouldn't buy me one and wouldn't let me buy one with my own money either (funny it's my money, but whatever that's parents for you).

1008845[/snapback]

Really? With my parents it was my money and my responsibility. I probably would have bought stuff and kept it hidden when they were around if it was like that.

Depends on the store.  I know a few mom-and-pops around here in Alabama that rented NES games into this decade

1008627[/snapback]

That may be the case with my NES as it is from Pharoah Video in Arab, Alabama, I'll bet my machine MORE than payed for itself :)

1008632[/snapback]

One of mine (the one I cannibalized to get the one I got NIB in '88 working again) is from Scott's Video Rentals in Ragland, which was an awesome store when they still carried old cult B-movies on VHS and NES/Game Boy games, but now is like every other store around here: Nothing but recent DVDs, PS2/XBox/GC games, and a tanning bed (Bet Pharoah has one of those too now).

my machine MORE than payed for itself :)

1008632[/snapback]

Good Lord! Look at how I spelled "Paid" :? Either I made a mistake or in a brilliant flash of insight discovered the true spelling of the word!

1010063[/snapback]

Actually, both spellings are correct.