IGNORED

Help - Unknown Apollo Games

Game Rogue

Very nice find! These are both 2600 games right? I don't know what ones. Is there any other names written on the cart? Tempest might know more about them. There also is a Prototypes forum here in AA. One of the mods might move the thread over there so it can be in a better place. How did you pick these up?

Very nice find! These are both 2600 games right? I don't know what ones. Is there any other names written on the cart? Tempest might know more about them. There also is a Prototypes forum here in AA. One of the mods might move the thread over there so it can be in a better place. How did you pick these up?

1009057[/snapback]

I pretty sure they are 2600 games, but I am viewing them on my 7800 since my 2600 console doesn't work any longer, so I'm not 100% certain. There is nothing written on the cart.

Most game I've collected over the years (read 1980s) came by way of game testing for a few companies during that era.

Edited by Game Rogue

Wow! I don't recognize that second game, I think you've discovered some previously unknown prototype! The 3D maze one is particularly interesting as it seems to be technologically much more advanced than other Apollo games I've seen.

I send you a PM about these prototypes. You should preserve these in case something happens to them.

Tempest

The 3D maze one is particularly interesting as it seems to be technologically much more advanced than other Apollo games I've seen.

1009085[/snapback]

I'm not sure the maze game is technologically particularly advanced, but the screen shot suggests that Apollo might have been improving. There were two incomplete Apollo protos on your site that had also looked somewhat promising, right? Squoosh and something else?

Interesting irony, since Apollo is from what I understand one of the companies responsible for the crash (Skeet Shoot, anyone?)

The 3D maze one is particularly interesting as it seems to be technologically much more advanced than other Apollo games I've seen.

1009085[/snapback]

I'm not sure the maze game is technologically particularly advanced, but the screen shot suggests that Apollo might have been improving. There were two incomplete Apollo protos on your site that had also looked somewhat promising, right? Squoosh and something else?

Interesting irony, since Apollo is from what I understand one of the companies responsible for the crash (Skeet Shoot, anyone?)

1009112[/snapback]

I actually liked Skeet Shoot a little bit... :ponder:

Yes, I still wake up in the night to the sound of my own screams, and then I scream myself back to sleep.

I actually liked Skeet Shoot a little bit... :ponder:

1009116[/snapback]

It might be possible to hack it into a playable game, but in its present form it is either too easy or else impossible.

1009125[/snapback]

You are right of course. It's too hard to get off your shot when the clay pigeon launches. The only way I hit it is if I guess the right side it's on or it's dead above me.

Skeet Shoot came out in 81, so it certainly wasn't a crash-causer. Apollo never had a hot-selling title so they were always under the radar of most gamers. The company that caused the crash was Atari (with all the non-returnable carts they forced down retailers' throats in Xmas 82).

Why the hell are we talking about Skeet Shoot? There's a new proto in the air! Woooo!

Wonder what the game is called?

1009210[/snapback]

Exactly... both these games are unknown to the Atari community here?

The Apollo Maze game has you controlling the man while being chased by the robot and the blob like thing trying to follow your moves and shooting a laser pulse(s) every second or so. The laser pulse(s) and robot do not kill you if touched. I play about 10 min, with room colrs changing and door in different positions but can't seen to find whats supposed to be done. Minimal sound effects.

The Apollo Shooting game has alot activity on screen but I can only make the two (upper and lower) ships fire a short laser beams, they can not move. The laser beam will kill the enemies that happen to drift into the beam. Minimal sound effects.

Here are a few more pix.

post-1612-1138585608_thumb.jpg

post-1612-1138585636_thumb.jpg

post-1612-1138585661_thumb.jpg

post-1612-1138585684_thumb.jpg

post-1612-1138585710_thumb.jpg

post-1612-1138585744_thumb.jpg

The shooter is Guardian, which was released by Apollo.

The maze game was unreleased, but I swear that I recognize that screenshot. The combination of that robot and the blob on the ceiling rings a bell. I'm guessing that I saw it or read a description of it in one of the old game mags.

I'm not sure the maze game is technologically particularly advanced, but the screen shot suggests that Apollo might have been improving.  There were two incomplete Apollo protos on your site that had also looked somewhat promising, right?  Squoosh and something else?

1009112[/snapback]

As far companies go for responsible for the crash, Apollo shouldn't be. I consider coleco, atari,Mattel, and Mystique. Mystique should be for their adult games and I read that some missinformered people thought that atari was making those adult games.

Coleco- for Adam computer. Final blow in the crash. I think celcovision could have survived the crash without the Adam computer.

Mattel- Mattel Aquarius and intellivision 2. My thinking of Intellivision 2 is that it for the intellivoice module for updates and removable controllers. I think the system needed to be updated in graphics and making it easier to do arcade ports and to be programed.

Atari-E.t,Pac-man and releasing games for the 5200 that were already released for the 2600, along with treatment of their employees that caused the lawsuit that Activision won.

Edited by 8th lutz