IGNORED

Has a shortage of space ever stopped you from collecting?

KAZ

I'm having this unusual problem, but maybe it happens to others.

I live in a one bedroom apartment, with one TV, kind of a small living room, and one bedroom (medium size, but my bed takes up alot of the room).

Whenever my friend stops over to play games, we play on the Playstation. I usually just take the console I'm using, and put it on my bed. The other is on a towel, on the floor.

I switch off frequently between the two, since I've been collecting for both at the same time.

I have all the 2600 cartridges in a plastic tub thing, and all my 5200 cartridges on my dresser.

For now everything is pretty good, I can probably indefinitely collect a more Atari carts provided I have tubs. But I'm almost at my limit for consoles

What I want I can't quite fit in my place.

I'm eventually going to want to collect an Atari 7800, an Atari Jaguar, a Colecovision, a 2 port Atari 5200, and a Heavy Sixer 2600.

Not to mention some accessories like a VCS adapter.

Course it'll take me 5 years to get it all (at least), but even if I had some money to use, I couldn't fit it in my place. Well maybe not 5 years, classic systems are frickin' cheap compared to modern systems that cost $200. Perfect for collecting!

Can anyone offer me any suggestions for storing several systems? Alternatives short of actually getting a larger place?

These tubs I have are very easily stackable, but I don't know if it is realistic to put consoles in tubs, but maybe.

Also, has anyone else had the problem where they might have the money to collect, but no space?

Thanks for responding!

I'm also having a problem. The only weird thing here is i just got half of a room for video games only! Me and my mom share a room, and i have half of it (that's were I sleep). I have to find a place to put my KISS collection. I have big dolls in that collection. I'm waiting for a new cabinet then it's gunna all have to be re-organized. If you were to go in there now there's tons of games on the floor. My Ms. Pac-man machine is in the basement though. My moms kind of mad because im suppose to eep it cleaner.

I have a decent amount of space, but my problem is that I'm a packrat and my wife hates having large collections of things lying around!

We literally have a couple of empty rooms in our house but they're off limits for video games and Star Wars items

However I am building a MAME cabinet that will be sweet.

When I first started collecting, I had almost no storage at all, just a small bed room in an apartment in Denver colorado where my bed and clothes and everything else I owned was. I used to just keep everything I got boxed up.. When I finally moved back home to Maryland and was able to unpack all my just, I was totally amazed I had amassed a vast Classic gaming empire..

We Atari people will put things in the SINK if we have to. It's too bad that people have to shower to not be gross, because...well, look at all the storage space in the tub!!!

I once rented a studio apartment, and I realized that all the cupboard space, normally meant for food and plates, easily housed my 2600 collection. Girls would come over and ask where the glasses were, and I'd have to tell them the truth: "At the restaurant. Wanna go get coffee?"

CF

I'm pretty much at my limit for systems set up at once as well (10 of them with minimal switching), and (although I didn't think about it until now) pretty soon after I maxed things out, I almost immediately started focusing on my Lynx collection, plus I'm working on getting a Game.com... so my advice I guess is to work on the smaller games/systems first until you find some room

I'm still not sure if switching to Lynx stuff was a conscious decision or not...

--Zero

It was fun to look at your website, and collection rooms. My goal is to someday have something close to your collection rooms (minus huge arcade games, but it depends).

If I ever get a large enough room, my goal is to have the 2600/5200/7800 all connected to separate TVs (MAYBE), so that they are all hooked up and immediately playable at any time. A couple luxury video game chairs, and posters would make this "dream room" perfect. I have this vision in my mind of what I'm after.

The place I lived in last year was just a 630 square foot, 52 year old cabin.In one of the very small rooms I had my computer and atari stuff crammed in.Now all the atari,odyssey 2,and sw cards are on the top shelves in a walk-in closet and in bookcases on one side of the closet.Now that I am concentrating on getting boxed games, it is getting filled up;but I do have room in the bedroom for more bookcases...

I got myself a small storage depot, put my bike and boxes with stuff I don't use (books, atari, computers parts, etc) I'm paying like 70 bucks a month, no bad deal eh? but now I'm gonna need a u-haul to move all my things to NC, dang, I hate moving :P

Osbo

[ 06-01-2002: Message edited by: osbo ]