IGNORED

CinciClassic '06 Announced

MattG/Snyper2099

Here's a real blast from the past, a 'CinciCon' recap:

Date: Mon, Nov 9 1998 12:00 am

Groups: rec.games.video.classic

Hello,

We're all finished with Cincicon for the year. It was three great days of classic and modern videogames.

In the single player Tournament, Larry Scott cooked up a wicked score of 269,020 on coin-op Xevious, eclipsing the 2nd place score of 109,520 by Tom Zjaba. Larry received over a dozen boxed TG16 games for his winning score that beat out 12 other players.

In the head to head tournament, Mike St. Clair dominated a single-elimination bracket in 7800 Ballblazer and beat everyone to receive a set of Starpath software in the original shrinkwarp. Honorable mention to Bill Augustine who went to the final match with him.

In the team tournament, Bill Augustine and Adam Harvey beat everyone in 2 on 2 Bomberman '94 for Turbografx. The final match against Mike Gedeon and Check Bremer was close all the way and eventually ended in a 3-2 victory. Bill and Adam each received a NIB DINA 2in1 colecovision clone and six shrinkwrapped CV games apiece. (Note that Bill A. had not ever played Bomberman before, but still went on to dominate against several very experienced individuals).

Thanks to everyone who helped make the tournament a success, and especially to Craig Maloney for helping me plan and run each event.

As far as the con goes, I'm sure a few web pages will pop up with photos and everyone can see what it was like. What we did find out tho, for sure, is that you need to test your location. Every game system post NES that we plugged in would not function properly due to extremely high RF in the area. Certain perhiperals (TG controllers, Saturn 5in1 carts) we acting as antennas and causing the CPU's to bog, malfunction, or receive erroneous inputs from the controllers. After trying filtering UPSes (not yet realizing it wasn't the electricity), we located a large roll of tinfoil, and after duly coating most of the controller cables in it, we did get most systems working. (Unfortunately, a Neo CDZ never did work).

Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves, and if there's anything learned from the experience, it's that people make these fun. There were a few technical

issues, but I think everyone in attendance would agree that seeing people as excited about videogames as they are makes these the most exciting.

Thanks again to all the attendees, and Bill Augustine and Ted Bronner for setting everything up.

-Dan

Edited by Beer Monkey

Hey, how is that Blaster Master 2? Is it a true sequel to the NES classic?

sadly, i had to store all my classic era stuff in the attic when i moved in with my girlfriend a couple of months ago. i will probably drag out the nomad and check it out in a week or so, but ive got so much crap to go through it may take awhile

Now that it's over, what were people's impressions? Based on the newsgroups (people not active here), the show had a lot of people considering the size of the venue, but most venders had nothing set up to try and there were quite a few vendors from the Dreamcast era of games. How many vendors were focused on classic game systems?

EDIT: I'm wondering because next year I might be in Cincinatti around the time of Cinciclassic.

The 2006 show was much bigger than the 2002 show. There were plenty of vendors whose focus is classic gaming. I only collect for pre-NES systems and I got a good haul of stuff, as I posted earlier in this thread. For someone starting a 2600 collection, there were tons of common carts around. And a lot of uncommon to rare 2600 stuff too for collectors like me.

Since I don't collect for newer systems, I didn't notice the newer stuff getting in the way of the older stuff. Some vendors had wide selections that covered both classic and the newer games.

I was disapointed about the lack of arcade games. All that was there was a Moon Patrol and a cabenit with 17 priated arcade games. It wasn't a MAME machine. I know there were going to be more games, but there were strong thunderstorms in the area during Friday night set up, so I think that kept them from being unloaded. Still, would have liked to have seen them.

I hope the show will return to being an annual event. Three and a half years is too long to wait.

I was disapointed about the lack of arcade games. All that was there was a Moon Patrol and a cabenit with 17 priated arcade games. It wasn't a MAME machine. I know there were going to be more games, but there were strong thunderstorms in the area during Friday night set up, so I think that kept them from being unloaded. Still, would have liked to have seen them.

I can understand that there's little incentive for people to bring in arcade machines if they can't make any money off them. I understand that the sponsors of the show don't want it to just be a glorified arcade full of modern shoot-em-ups, but I'd rather have a Pengo machine I could play at $0.25/pop than no Pengo machine.

Actually, I have never been to a con where I was not charged for the arcades . I am unethical. I am a disappointment, and a major one at that.

There were one or two game vendors and I have no focus when it comes to classic/modern. I'd say none of the booths had games set up for me to play (a couple of booths wanted nothing to do with me) and I am not friendly and approachable.

i think the classic/modern ratio was really good. there were only a few booths with PS2/Xbox/Cube games. there was almost zero PSone stuff, and the DC games were mixed in with classics... the way it should be

in fact, ive never seen so many vectrex machines for sale in my life. that, if anything, should give you an idea of the variety.

i think what was lacking the most was the middle of the road stuff. i saw a ton of rare stuff, and a ton of common stuff.

i think what was lacking the most was the middle of the road stuff. i saw a ton of rare stuff, and a ton of common stuff.

If I had to pick any nits with the show, this is it. The OMG RARE stuff is cool to see, no question. But it's mostly out of my price range. The common stuff...well, I'm a good collector, I have it all :) What I'm looking for is that middle of the road stuff that would really fill some of the key holes I see in my collections. I know I left 2 of those middle of the road games behind (foolishly I may add), but opther than those 2, my want list was mostly absent (especially in the Sega Saturn / Playstation / Game Boy realms that I'm currently working in).

Of course, I'm thinking about having a table next year, and all I have is common stuff...so maybe I shouldn't complain :)

The middle of the road stuff is also hardest to find because it is usually mixed in w/ the commons. I had mostly commons but quite a few mid-range (4-6) games thrown in but they were mixed in w/ my commons which is what I saw at quite a few of the tables. It was probably a 5-1 (maybe 6/7-1) ratio though and w/ over 500 games there, they didn't really stand out, although a lot of them sold. The "ultra rare" you set aside and show off, thereby bringing a lot more attention to it even though there may be less of it. If I had to take a guess I'd say middle of the road and Ultra-rare were almost a 1-1 ratio. The ratio could have been higher but if you have limited packing room & time, most people would rather bring the ultra-rare over the semi-rare. Commons will always be there in large numbers because they're, uhm.., common :) . I have to agree that Trade-n-games and a Bill Augustine & his brother (and friends?) did have a nice selections w/ a fairly decent mix of common through rare. It was just a lot to go through though.

Originally I hadn't planned on selling what I did. I had 2 bins of duplicate games for sale and the rest I brought for people to play. I ended up selling from all the bins because people were interested even though most of them were not duplicates and now need to be replaced. But then, in a lot of ways, I enjoy the hunt as much as having & playing the games :) If I do this again I will definitely separate my games out better (based on rarity as well as alpha) and price them ahead of time. BTW thanks Jason (trade-n-games) you saved me w/ the collectors price guide, otherwise I would have been guessing on a large portion (especially non-Atari). As it was I let quite a few really good bargins go through and had a few that I asked too much for before looking them up. On average, I tried to go 10-20% lower than the price guide price.

I still haven't gone through to catalog what I bought, yet alone figure out what I sold. I know that I came out of there w/ 3 new systems and about 50 or so new games. I have a feeling that my ratio of commons to middle-rare is a lot higher now being that I think I sold most of my 4-6 rarity games.

Overall it was a great time and I want to thank everyone that was there for making it so. Let's make sure we do it again next year :D

Edited by glitch

• 2 months later...

Actually, I have never been to a con where I was not charged for the arcades . I am unethical. I am a disappointment, and a major one at that.

There were one or two game vendors and I have no focus when it comes to classic/modern. I'd say none of the booths had games set up for me to play (a couple of booths wanted nothing to do with me) and I am not friendly and approachable.

This seems to be a pattern with you brother.