• Bubble Bobble
    • super qix
    • plump pop
    • zoo keeper
    • return of invaders
    • arch rivals
    • timber

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I am not doing any programming this is just for fun. I want people to make a choice of wich one to pick. I hope this is better then the other poll I did.

Plump pop is a game that baby animals pop ballons in a breakout way. Timber is game that you cut down trees in a time limit while avoiding bees and bears. Return of invaders is space invaders 3 basically.

Arch Rivals is a basket ball game that you puch the other player in a two on two game. You are able shoot 3 pointers, dunk and steal the basketball.

I may do a third arcade port poll in the future. It will have games that include Rally x,and super off road,electric yo-yo and other games.

Edited by 8th lutz

For 2600, I'd pick Arkanoid. For 7800, I'd pick Bubble Bobble or Zoo Keeper.

Not sure for the 5200. None of those are a good technical fit. Well, Arkanoid is, but there is an A8 version already, so it seems kind of pointless to port it all over again to the 5200. Be nice to convert the A8 version to the 5200, I suppose.

I am not doing any programming this is just for fun.  I want people to make a choice of wich one to pick.  I hope this is better then the other poll I did. 

Plump pop is a game that baby animals pop ballons in a breakout way.  Timber is game that you cut down trees in a time limit while avoiding bees and bears.  Return of invaders is space invaders 3 basically. 

Arch Rivals is a basket ball game that you puch  the other player in a two on two game.  You are able shoot 3 pointers, dunk and steal the basketball.

I may do a third arcade port poll in the future.  It will have games that include Rally x,and super off road,electric yo-yo and other games.

1011524[/snapback]

Bubble Bobble, easily. Hopefully 2600 Zoo Keeper will eventually be found in its entirety, the sound code that has been found is pretty sweet. And Basketbrawl on the 7800/Lynx basically is Arch Rivals with even better fighting.

And you know that 2600 Electric Yo-Yo already exists, right? A faster version that wasn't so easy would be cool, though.

Bubble Bobble, easily.   Hopefully 2600 Zoo Keeper will eventually be found in its entirety, the sound code that has been found is pretty sweet.  And Basketbrawl on the 7800/Lynx basically is Arch Rivals with even better fighting.

And you know that 2600 Electric Yo-Yo already exists, right?  A faster version that wasn't so easy would be cool, though.

1011576[/snapback]

Thanks for telling me about Electric Yo-Yo. I am aware of basketbawl and like it for the lynx.

Edited by 8th lutz

7800´s Dragons Lair......

....would be a terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible idea.

1012987[/snapback]

Getting the license would probably be impossible. On the other hand, from a technical side I would think that the 7800 could probably do a pretty decent job given the right cartridge hardware. Wouldn't even have to be too ridiculously complicated. A small ROM, a SmartMedia card, and a 22V10. Might need an ADC as well, but I would think the audio timings could probably work out to use the TIA.

The trick would be to wire things so that accesses within a rather large address range would simply be seen as SmartMedia reads. During vertical blank, load a page address into the SmartMedia card and set up display lists to read from it. Then let Maria grab oodles of data directly from the SmartMedia card. With luck, the CPU would also be able to grab a byte each scan line and shove it out to AUDV0.

The 7800 version wouldn't be quite as good as the Amiga version, but I should think it would nonetheless be quite workable.

Getting the license would probably be impossible.  On the other hand, from a technical side I would think that the 7800 could probably do a pretty decent job given the right cartridge hardware.

Okay sure, if you cram a 7800 cart with megabytes of storage, it could be done in some fashion. But you still can't (AFAIK) get anything close to a general-purpose true-color display on the 7800. Let's not forget, the ONLY reason to play Dragon's Lair was to ogle the great animation. The actual "gameplay" is mindlessly deterministic.

The only way 7800 DL could work as a game would be to take the route of the Colecovision or NES versions, and create playable sequences loosely based on the original scenes.

Okay sure, if you cram a 7800 cart with megabytes of storage, it could be done in some fashion. But you still can't (AFAIK) get anything close to a general-purpose true-color display on the 7800. Let's not forget, the ONLY reason to play Dragon's Lair was to ogle the great animation. The actual "gameplay" is mindlessly deterministic.

You could have 160x200x16 color animation running at any desired frame rate (15, 20, 24, 30, or 60fps) or you could use 320x200x4 color mode with artifacting to create 16 colors at somewhat better resolution (but the color selection would be more limitted that way). Not quite as good as the Amiga's 320x200x32 colors, but not horrible either.

True, the thing would run through storage like water, but so what? Each frame would be one 16K page of flash. So 24 frames/sec would be 384Kbytes/second. I think the whole game has about an hour's worth of animation (counting double all the scenes that appear non-mirrored and mirrored, since there'd be no way to mirror them on the fly). So at 24fps, that would be 1.4gigs. At 12fps, that would be 720MB.

Getting the license would probably be impossible.  On the other hand, from a technical side I would think that the 7800 could probably do a pretty decent job given the right cartridge hardware.

The only way 7800 DL could work as a game would be to take the route of the Colecovision or NES versions, and create playable sequences loosely based on the original scenes.

1013149[/snapback]

Yeah,.....i agree........but the NES DL version,Good graphics,but it could be more"easy to control"the Knight during the game...NES port is very difficult to play......try it at you own risk....

You could have 160x200x16 color animation running at any desired frame rate (15, 20, 24, 30, or 60fps) or you could use 320x200x4 color mode with artifacting to create 16 colors at somewhat better resolution (but the color selection would be more limitted that way).  Not quite as good as the Amiga's 320x200x32 colors, but not horrible either.

Argh! I just remembered there's a Gameboy Color version of Dragon's Lair that was released back in 2001. It appears to be running a 160x96, 16-color display, with each scene using an optimized palette. If the IGN review is to be believed, it's a 4MB cartridge. Probably uses a CPU-heavy video codec though. 6502s can barely blit an entire bitmapped screen in realtime, let alone run a codec at the same time.

http://media.gameboy.ign.com/media/014/014300/imgs_1.html