IGNORED

So I "fixed" one of my Atari 2600 controllers

KAZ

I opened up one of my standard Atari 2600 controllers, that I got in an auction.

I normally use a genesis 3 button controller, BUT I like to mess with electronics, and thought I'd try my luck in fixing on of my two partly working 2600 controllers.

The one I started on was not letting me move DOWN...all the other directions and the button worked.

So I open it up, look around a little bit, and notice that the crappy tape thing going on (pretty high tech stuff, rofl). So I removed the tape...after looking for a bit I notice that the plastic thing is actually broken in two different places. I first tried super glue, and then I just said, the hell with it, and I used tiny pieces of scotch tape.

I sprayed some electrical contact cleaner in there too for the hell of it.

I closed it back up, took it over to my system, fired up Pitfall! and tried to play. It actually WORKED. My scotch tape was holding! It no longer "clicked" when I moved the joystick around (it was before because it was obviously broken inside).

So now I have a jury-rigged controller, and one that I have yet to "fix".

My paddles work better too after went to work on them.

I wonder if there are replacements for that plastic thingie inside the controller.

Or "refurbished" Atari 2600 controllers, like 5200 ones, with NEW boards that function better or something.

I intend on picking up another sega controller, but I do kinda want to have two working original controllers, just for collection sake.

quote:

Originally posted by KAZ:

I wonder if there are replacements for that plastic thingie inside the controller.

Or "refurbished" Atari 2600 controllers, like 5200 ones, with NEW boards that function better or something.

By referring to "that plastic thingie" are you talking about the white plastic handle that is is cover in the black rubber?

You can buy brand new joystick handles, boards, etc. at http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's talking about that part (the "actual" stick itself, under the black handle cover that your hand grabs while playing). When one of those white handles breaks, I usually just throw the damn thing out. Good job, taping it up!

The inner circuit board's pretty simple: There are five little metal contacts taped on top of their respective circuits (left, right, etc.). These contacts are the silver things you can see upon initially opening up the controller.

These contacts should be shaped like little "bubbles." The prongs at the bottom of the white handle press down on the contacts, depending on which direction the handle's being "leaned," and the contact in question -- the bubble -- is therefore made to touch the metal circuit hidden underneath.

If the controller's old, an occasional metal contact might be too flat to register all the time. The bubble shape is gone. This is easy to fix: Carefully remove the tape that's already on there (it covers the entire circuit board), take out the contact, and bend it twice (making one bend perpendicular to the other). This will make a little "tent" shape. Now replace it exactly over the circuit like it was before and tape it back down (using extra tape if necessary); you should be back in business.

(pant pant pant...INHALE...)

If THAT doesn't work, notice that it's very easy, using the colored wires, to trace which contact is leading to which metal clamp (to the extreme right). Remember that combinations of directions = diagonals.

Just follow the color from the direction that's not working -- the bubble itself -- to the column of clamps to the far right. Squeeze the offending clamp tighter around its metal contact (using fingers or pliers), THEN try the joystick. If that doesn't work, remember to unplug the joystick before you throw it in frustration, or it could come flying back and give you a nasty knock.

(Exhale.)

CF

Wow, nice repair tips....

yeah I was talking about that white thing that IS the actual joystick, and of course that black overlay thing goes over top of it.

I can already tell the joystick has been to hell and back, I see all these really white areas on the plastic part (meaning it has been played with many many many times making creases in the plastic, and at times actually breaking the plastic.

The super glue thing didn't work at all, and I had it all over my fingers. But i'm like, no sweat, I got some GOO GONE to get it off my fingers. So I greased them up, and it kinda sorta worked...and my hands were greasy the rest of the night, even after washing them rofl

The tape thing isn't the best way to keep the plastic thing together, some sort of really small sticker might do a better job. Maybe a tiny bandaid or something.

The whole thing looks fine except for the "plastic thingie" TM

Well I left the perpendicular tape thing on it, I just taped the joystick part to the button part, with that spring. If you don't tape it, the button won't stay put when you try to put it back together.

Maybe if I ran it over with my car....hmmmm