IGNORED

Final run for original Protector

Songbird

FAB! You are every developers ideal supporter!

:D

I'll admit it, I'm addicted.

...addicted to my platonic love for developers and homebrewers! :love:

Homebrew developer rating for:

FABombjoy

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

the highest!

For all of you others out there as well...thanks!!! We do appreciate the support.

Agreed, Steve, it's awesome when you know there are fans who really enjoy these obscure releases and actively support the developers of the games.

OK, so here's the scoop: this is still going to happen. Hopefully before summer. I have built the ROM with the fixes it needed, we need to do some final tests, then I can build the carts. I will post here and on my Songbird mailing list when the carts are actually being built.

Unfortunately I have already bought the original Protector so that won't happen again. However, it was a fantastic game and I am still going to buy the SE eventually. Just wanted to say thank you Carl for supporting the Jag community like you have. It is definitely appreciated even if it is only by a small subsection of the public.

It's nice knowing your appreciated at least somewhere

in life. :)

put me down for a protector :D

That request should be to Carl...His comapny, SongBird

publishes that title. :) You'll want to look out for other titles

from us like Surrounded, Mad Bodies, Might Frog and what

ever Gorf 3D is actually called.

Unfortunately I have already bought the original Protector so that won't happen again. However, it was a fantastic game and I am still going to buy the SE eventually. Just wanted to say thank you Carl for supporting the Jag community like you have. It is definitely appreciated even if it is only by a small subsection of the public.

Thank you, I really appreciate that. It's been great supporting these systems for nearly a decade (!), and I look forward to a few more surprises in the near future. :cool:

Edited by Songbird

I have a suggestion. You should call that game "D3 Frog"... hehe.

I have a suggestion. You should call that game "D3 Frog"... hehe.

Something Frog is still a possibility. Gorf is indeed FROG backwards

if you dont already know the story behind it. Jamie(then Jay) Fenton

was nick named froggy and it some how got to Gorf. Stranger things

have happened. ;)

• 1 month later...

We have 16 carts built, and they should be ready to sell in about 7-10 days. I will post again once I've updated the catalog and am thus ready for orders.

I need to count again how many carts I can do based on the number of boxes I have left. I think it was about 25, but it may be a few more than that. Either way, this is the last run of the original Protector I ever anticipate doing.

Forgive me, but I'm interested in Protector SE and it seemed better to ask a question in this thread than to start a new one.

I noticed that Protector SE mentions it's a cart which comes with a CD to run "new Jaguar games". Does this mean I need a Jaguar CD and this demo or "key" CD to play the game? I just have a plain ol' Jaguar.

I was initially interested in hunting down Defender 2000, but between looking at videos of D2K in action and some reviews from Video Game Critic as well as the enthusiasm shown on AtariAge, I think I've changed my mind and would rather consider Protector SE.

PSE is a completely self-contained game. I have played the original version and thought it was a very good update of Defender - better than Defender 2000.

PSE allows one to load unencrypted CDs if one has a Jag CD drive. If you don't have a Jag CD it doesn't impact the playability of PSE.

Does this mean I need a Jaguar CD and this demo or "key" CD to play the game?
No, you don't need a JagCD to play the game. This just means that the P:SE cartridge can also be used as a bypass to boot unencrypted CD games (typically, homebrews released before the encryption key was recovered).

I was initially interested in hunting down Defender 2000, but between looking at videos of D2K in action and some reviews from Video Game Critic as well as the enthusiasm shown on AtariAge, I think I've changed my mind and would rather consider Protector SE.

I like reading reviews too, but you know what they say about opinions, everybody's got one! :) Doesn't mean anything.

ProtectorSE is great, especially for Defender/Stargate fans. However, you are wrong about D2K it has three modes many people find the Tempest Plus mode very enjoyable. Your making a mistake passing up on famed Atari coder Jeff Minters' work though, and even if he said improvements could have been made with the D2K mode, it's still very nice work. Pick up a cart only D2k on ebay! You won't be disappointed. :)

Edited by ovalbugmann

• 3 weeks later...

The original Protector, first released in 1999 for the Atari Jaguar, is back in stock! This game has been out of production since 2002, but due to fan demand is now available for a limited time. Once the supply runs out, it is unlikely this game will ever be produced again. Visit the Songbird online catalog at:

http://songbird-productions.com

and click on Order / View Catalog to order your copy today!

When comparing the screenshots from Protector vs. Protector SE, I see differences, and I have two questions.

The original Protector seems to have more "hills" in the landscape, and the background seems to have a more grainy look with more meteorites and stars, making it more realistic, then the "plain" colorful backgrounds of Protector SE.

-Is this the case, or am I being fooled by the screenshots?

-Is the music in the original Protector different then Protector SE? And if so, also done by you, Carl?

When comparing the screenshots from Protector vs. Protector SE, I see differences, and I have two questions.

The original Protector seems to have more "hills" in the landscape, and the background seems to have a more grainy look with more meteorites and stars, making it more realistic, then the "plain" colorful backgrounds of Protector SE.

-Is this the case, or am I being fooled by the screenshots?

-Is the music in the original Protector different then Protector SE? And if so, also done by you, Carl?

Thanks for the questions. I did all the music in both Protector and Protector SE. Prot SE features a variety of ground and background graphics, not just the ones shown in the screenshots on the web pages. Original Protector has a very limited set of background graphics. In both games, the ground and background scroll (parallax scroll, naturally :) ) and it gives a nice impression of speed in my opinion.