IGNORED

Show pictures of your collection.

Ross PK

(winces looking at my page...)

Ok, I need to give this page some love soon....

http://www.geocities.com/lady-aramis/Artcase.html

This was a site where the JYBOLAC chatters, which were on Thursday night now moved to Tuesday night, had their collections displayed. Cybernoid has moved his pictures to another server, so need to re-connect those. Rick D and my pictures are ok.

You'll get to see my original Atari 400 with 1200/1400 keyboard there, and a few other interesting things.

I've actually been cleaning up my collection and trying to put together a beige (CX-8XX Collection) that I plan to put on the revamped page. I have a bit of everything Atari, but I would mainly display the Jaguar and Atari 800 these days.

And speaking of the Atari 800, the MyIde800 that I have is best documented by Mr. Atari's site at...

http://www.mr-atari.com/hardware-A800.htm

I'll try to get better pictures up, (and please forgive the broken links on my page). I would love to see other people's hotrods... er.. Atari computers. :)

(My Atari 800 is to me what hotrodding is to car enthusiasts. Though I have been fixing up a Red 1985 Fiero SE as well.) ;)

The picture of my current setup is available here or at the website below :P

Actually, I have two additional 1050's (1 Happy - 1 Stock) not shown here attached via a ProSys cable to the Ape PC.

1017145[/snapback]

NICE! I really like the 3.5" XF-551 drive, I suppose that's a CSS uopgrade? I always wanted to do that too, but I never actually found an XF drive at a price-point I'm willing to pay yet. I do definatley want to get an Indus drive too. Always wanted the "Black box" and other items from CSS too, but couldn't afford them back in the day and can't find them now. :|

I'll be posting my 800/XL/XE collection soon myself, but I can't transfer the pcitures from my camera yet. I have a SanDisk 3.5" drive memory card "disk" adapter, but the batteries are dead so the PC won't read it. Picking some up tonight. I did post my collection in a thread I started about six months ago, but my collection/setups have changed drastically in that time, so an update is required.

Edited by Gunstar

here's the scans of my best of the 8-bit collection I loaded in Yahoo Photos a while back, for those newer members who haven't seen the posts a made back then...

http://photos.yahoo.com/geosteve_99

1017336[/snapback]

Hi geosteve,

nice collection. Could I use your photos for the abbuc software list? :)

http://www.atari-portal.net/modules.php?name=Reviews

Gunnar.

OK! Here's my latest, greatest setup. the first picture is my Atari 800 next to my oscilliscope, along with a composite monitor, 2 810 drives, a 410 recorder, CX85 keypad, 7800 joypad and ICD's P:R: Connection. the second picture is my XL/XE setup which is labeled on the picture. My APE '98 PC is out of the picture. Oh, and those boxes behind the left stereo speaker and under the right stereo speaker (speakers are shielded) are 5 boxes of brand new unopened DSDD 5.25" floppy disks! I found them all at the local thrift store! For $1.00 a box!

post-149-1139799543_thumb.jpg

post-149-1139799636_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

I'll have to take pics of my Atari computers one day.  I have many that are new, never used.

nobodz.jpg

1017479[/snapback]

You can tell that machine rarely see's the light of day, just by how cherry RED the Atari name is on the badge. If you look at my newly restored XE, you'll still notice the faded, almost orange Atari name. I'll have to look into getting a replacement badge.

post-149-1139807618_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

You're right - actually, it's never been out of the box at all. I only opened it for that photo, and that's it :)

I also have the following new in the box:

600XL

800XL

XF551

Lynx (model 1)

Some 5200 controllers

I have a 130XE and a 400 from when I was younger and several 1050 disk drives, printers, etc., that I'll set up and use again. :)

I'm still searching for a new in the box 1200XL. :)

Edited by Scream And Fly

I added a close-up shot of my 130XE to the post above. I bet you wouldn't guess that this baby was essentially brought back from the dead. I got it in non-working condition, which was a power problem, it had a yellowed case and a VERY yellowed keyboard broken keys. I cleaned it and upgraded&restored it inside and out. Just shows what a little love can do.

I really like your XE setup, River Patroller.

Heres mine:

MYSYSTEM.JPG

Heres what's under the hood:

PCB-TOP.JPG

Also notice the HD LED:

HDLED2.JPG

HDLED3.JPG

Oh yeah. I build these MyIDE-XE boards:

kits.jpg

And they work with SpartaDos.

(not to offend anyone but I can't STAND to use MyDos)

And as far as the XE case restration... I have to ask WHY?? Theres plenty of those systems selling on ebay all the time, brand new, still in the box, hardly seen the light of day (usually someone got it as a gift back in the 80s, never used it, and just recently found it in a closet or attic) You can usually pick them up new in box for anywhere from $20 to $50 (including shipping.) anywayze, I have alot of XEs with prestine perfect cases, and most of them I got for darned cheap.

What the XE systems REALLY need is all the cold solder joints fixed, the crap factory RAM chips replaced, sockets installed in a few choice places (if not everywhere), and the "ST FEEL" upgrade kit installed in the keyboard. Now THAT makes a really nice upgrade. (darned mushy XE keys, haha)

And as far as the XE case restration...  I have to ask WHY?? Theres plenty of those systems selling on ebay all the time, brand new, still in the box, hardly seen the light of day (usually someone got it as a gift back in the 80s, never used it, and just recently found it in a closet or attic) You can usually pick them up new in box for anywhere from $20 to $50 (including shipping.)   anywayze, I have alot of XEs with prestine perfect cases, and most of them I got for darned cheap.

Why? 1)Becuase I hate waste, especially when it's a classic machine. 2) Also, the paitn job cost me about $3.00. Compare THAT to your $20-50! 3) I LIKE to refurbish&repair equipment, it's my hobby&part-time business. 4) I'm the guy who restores the stuff and sells it for $20-50 or more on E-bay! I'll pick up a worn or non-working Atarior Commodore for $5 or $10 at a thrift or goodwill or other place, do the restoration and sell it for $50. 5) by the way, you WILL NOT find a MINT Atari XE on E-bay for$20-$50. Maybe if you get a 1 in a thousand auction win for that price point. You'll get the yellowed, broken-keyed, no power pack models for $20-$50, beleive me, they won't be in great shape for that price.

Edited by Gunstar

Well, it does look great. But I disagree on the prices. Ive picked up quite a few XEs for less than $20.00 that either were still in the original box, or had obviosly been stored in something since they were new because the plastic film was still intact over the name badge, and not even scratched. I remember when the XE series (and XL series, for that matter) came out, and it was like one year they were $139.00 and six months later, they were on clearance everywhere for $49.00. (Sears comes to mind as a big one) And this is when the systems were only a year or so old. Guys like me and you were buying them and cherishing them for what they were, but thousands of other people were getting them as cheap gifts, not knowing anything about them, and just putting them away in the closet. Now it is true that places like B&C Computervisions who bought ATARI's remaining inventory when they folded, are still selling BRAND NEW systems for over $100.00, and for a machine that is absolutely NEVER previously owned by a consumer, I'd say it's a fair deal. But Ive been watching ATARI stuff on ebay since 98 or 99, and I cant tell you how many nice systems Ive seen go for far less than it cost to ship them. Mostly from people who had no idea what they even had. Yeah, I agree that thrift shops are an awesome place to get stuff. Its kewl to find something for $5.00 that noone knows what it is, but that you remember reading about in Antic or Analog, back in the day and it used to cost hundreds of dollars. I got a prestine perfect rev 6a AMIGA 500 one time for $1.50 at Goodwill, laying in a stack of PC keyboards that were also marked $1.50. I also agree that there is alot of satisfaction to be gained in restoring something to factory original. I was just saying that I'd sooner dedicate my time to restoring it functionally (The XEs were built very cheaply compared to the XL line, and need lots of work on the board level to bring them up to par) than restoring a faded, worn, cracked, or discolored plastic case. Especially considering that anything that comes out of a spray can is not going to provide a durable finish. You can go with professional paint materials, but they require professional equipment, curing time, etc. And since the machines are so easily and cheaply available, chances are, you can find one with an awesome case, but not so awesome guts, and gut it for parts. I've done ALOT of XE and XL restorations. In fact, check this out:

http://www.rasterline.com

This is a site that I built a few years back and co-operate with a guy in california, who also has a huge stock of atari equipment. He builds machines to sell on EBAY, and I do the custom stuff that requires boards to be made, etc. and sell directly to people who are looking for something specific. The site is in drastic need of an update, but it's a good idea of the upgrade boards I make, and the level of restoration work we offer on ATARIs.

I've got quite a load of Commodore and AMIGA hardware as well. Most of it is either in as-new condition, or already refurbished/restored.

Well, it does look great. But I disagree on the prices.  Ive picked up quite a few XEs for less than $20.00 that either were still in the original box, or had obviosly been stored in something since they were new because the plastic film was still intact over the name badge, and not even scratched. I remember when the XE series (and XL series, for that matter) came out, and it was like one year they were $139.00 and six months later, they were on clearance everywhere for $49.00. (Sears comes to mind as a big one) And this is when the systems were only a year or so old. Guys like me and you were buying them and cherishing them for what they were, but thousands of other people were getting them as cheap gifts, not knowing anything about them, and just putting them away in the closet. Now it is true that places like B&C Computervisions who bought ATARI's remaining inventory when they folded, are still selling BRAND NEW systems for over $100.00, and for a machine that is absolutely NEVER previously owned by a consumer, I'd say it's a fair deal. But Ive been watching ATARI stuff on ebay since 98 or 99, and I cant tell you how many nice systems Ive seen go for far less than it cost to ship them. Mostly from people who had no idea what they even had.  Yeah, I agree that thrift shops are an awesome place to get stuff. Its kewl to find something for $5.00 that noone knows what it is, but that you remember reading about in Antic or Analog, back in the day and it used to cost hundreds of dollars. I got a prestine perfect rev 6a AMIGA 500 one time for $1.50 at Goodwill, laying in a stack of PC keyboards that were also marked $1.50.  I also agree that there is alot of satisfaction to be gained in restoring something to factory original. I was just saying that I'd sooner dedicate my time to restoring it functionally (The XEs were built very cheaply compared to the XL line, and need lots of work on the board level to bring them up to par) than restoring a faded, worn, cracked, or discolored plastic case. Especially considering that anything that comes out of a spray can is not going to provide a durable finish. You can go with professional paint materials, but they require professional equipment, curing time, etc.  And since the machines are so easily and cheaply available, chances are, you can find one with an awesome case,  but not so awesome guts, and gut it for parts.  I've done ALOT of XE and XL restorations.  In fact, check this out:

http://www.rasterline.com

This is a site that I built a few years back and co-operate with a guy in california, who also has a huge stock of atari equipment. He builds machines to sell on EBAY, and I do the custom stuff that requires boards to be made, etc. and sell directly to people who are looking for something specific. The site is in drastic need of an update, but it's a good idea of the upgrade boards I make, and the level of restoration work we offer on ATARIs.

I've got quite a load of Commodore and AMIGA hardware as well. Most of it is either in as-new condition, or already refurbished/restored.

1018015[/snapback]

I did mention that I retored it (and all I do) INSIDE and OUT. I have installed replacement plungers on the keyboard (by the way, I think you mean "TT touch" upgrade, not "ST feel" becuase I own tow ST's and I can tell you that they are identically mushy to the XE keyboards. I upgrade the ST plungers too, with the "TT touch"), and improving all kinds of functionality and upgrading them. I go the whole nine yards. But I see no sense in fixing the inside of a machine and leaving it look like crap. And I see not sense in forking over even $20-50 for a prestine condition XE when I can restore the one I got for dirt cheap, for, well, dirt cheap. But all I can say about your finding all these "prestine" XE's and such for dirt cheap is that you have been incredibly lucky or I'm incredibly unlucky, becuase I never see them going for the price points you say in top-notch conditionor new. Of course I wan't looking for extra systems selling out of bargain bins back in the 80's. Though I have had an XE in my life since the first came out in '85.

Oh, I forgot to mention the most important reason for restoring instead of ignoring and buying a mint/new machine: these machines are getting rarer and rarer all the time, especially NINT ones, and even if they are widely available still, now, it won't be long before they become near extiction, and every computer that ist restored and used, saves another MINT one in the closet for another day. Preservation of the species is at stake here!

by the way MEtalGuy66, when you said "I really like your XE setup RiverPatroller" where you refering to me? Since I'm a AtariAge designated "river patroller" but my handle is Gunstar. I'm not sure though, maybe someone else has an XE setup with my status that I missed...

Edited by Gunstar

Yeah I have to agree there. Still, it amazes me just how many i see popping up all the time. I dont know how closely you follow ebay, but I wish I had the extra cash to take advantage of all the deals I see on there.

The search strings I usually do are: ATARI XE, ATARI DRIVE, ATARI 130, XF551, etc. and I end up sifting through ALOT of related stuff to find the actual systems. But every time I get on there, I find myself adding items to my watch list just in case one happens to go for so dirt cheap that I can't pass it up. I never place a bid until the last 20 seconds of an auction.

Anywayze, this is kind of getting off topic. But maybe a few people will read this and if it saves them a few bucks on a system they want, then it's worth it.

I do know what you mean about using search threads on E-bay that steer away from the main stream auctions, for example, I picked up a NUON DVD/Console recently, the N501 series which generally command a price of around a hundred dollars, but I found mine under the DVD player catagory under only it's designation of Samsung DVD-N501 instead of the normal "Samsung NUON N501", so I won it for thirty dollars! I follow E-bay as much as I can, but i do confess that my time is spread thin when on E-bay between all the classic and neo-classic computers and consoles, so I'm sure I miss a lot in Atari land. For instance, I just won some auctions: Odyssey2, Vectrex and Bally Astrocade and I'm in the middle of auctions for a colecovison collection, ADAM computer collection, INTV III system, and numerous games and periphrials for the above. I've been buying Atari 8-bit stuff mostly directly from Best Electronics and B&C lately. B&C was E-bay auctions though. I got Atari lab starter set and light module kit from B&C. All my components for my upgrades came from Best E. and AtariMax. I've been a busy bee the last few months.

Oh, and I added to my last post, so check it out again.

Edited by Gunstar

MEtalGuy66 - that's one awesome XE you have there! I have a few questions. Can you give me some info on your memory upgrade. Is it just the "Scott Peterson" upgrade with forced banking selectable by the switch? Also, I like the HD LED you added. I want to so the same thing to my 130XE, but for the RAMdisk, not HD. How did you manage to get the little trapezoid cut so cleanly? BTW - how much are you selling the MyIDE XE boards for?

Gunstar - you also have a great collection there! It seems we are all doing the same mods (MyIDE, memory upgrades, stereo PoKeys, 32-in-1 OS, video upgrades). That case looks amazing too. I really need to do that to the 1040ST I got via EBay, but I've never been too great at painting. Any tips?

I haven't had this much fun with my little 8-bits since the late 80s.

Stephen Anderson