IGNORED

Show pictures of your collection.

Ross PK

Cool! So how's that MyIDE+flash&compact flash working for your? So, you just shove a stick or something down in the power-switch hole to keep it on with the 800's coor open?

Cool! So how's that MyIDE+flash&compact flash working for your? So, you just shove a stick or something down in the power-switch hole to keep it on with the 800's coor open?

1028926[/snapback]

I had my knife stuck there. I cropped the image for you. Holding Start does not get me to the disk images. Its probably something simple like flash upgrade. Other than that it works fine. I think warerat is talking to Mr-Atari about the Slot3 MyIDE card(I will try to convince him to make it CF so it will be all internal).

The MyIDE w/CF is great on my 800xl! I will probably try to get 800+ version of the MyIDE that warerat will make. I dont like having my 800 door open.

post-7833-1141662971_thumb.jpg

Edited by Almost Rice

1028926[/snapback]

I had my knife stuck there. I cropped the image for you. Holding Start does not get me to the disk images. Other than that it works fine. I think warerat is talking to Mr-Atari about the Slot3 MyIDE card. Its probably something simple.

1028938[/snapback]

That will be nice to have the MyIde in the 3rd slot.

In the meantime I got the MyIde + flash cart and as you can see it does not fit under the hatch of the Atari 800. So I'm thinking about taking that and removing the IDE connector and putting a header in it's place. We'll see if that gives the clearance needed.

The MyIde is working ok with the Atari 800 with the CX802 (XL OS board). I tried to load the TRON demo yesterday that Mr. Atari has for his movie player, but the image once loaded showed four images, blurred, side by side. Sound worked though. Anyone run into this with the movie player?

(Assembler option was loaded at the time that was played.)

In the meantime I got the MyIde + flash cart and as you can see it does not fit under the hatch of the Atari 800.  So I'm thinking about taking that and removing the IDE connector and putting a header in it's place.  We'll see if that gives the clearance needed.

The MyIde is working ok with the Atari 800 with the CX802 (XL OS board).  I tried to load the TRON demo yesterday that Mr. Atari has for his movie player, but the image once loaded showed four images, blurred, side by side.  Sound worked though.  Anyone run into this with the movie player?

1028940[/snapback]

Do you load disk images via the Start button at boot? I cant get my MyIDE cart to do that on the 800. I like dubbing it the CX802. Are you going to make a label for it?

I think warerat is finished getting the kinks out of his design. He told me the Slot 2 card had some power problems that he fixed last week. His card has the XL OS with Basic and Self Test. Mine does not have basic as I told him I did not want to hold option. Does anyone have an XL/XE OS with reverse Basic and Self test? If I can find such a beast, I could get him to put that on my board or maybe I should just get Steve's 32 in 1 OS. Then you would not need to change the CX802 for a CX801 to run 800 only games.

Edited by Almost Rice

Do you load disk images via the Start button at boot?  I cant get my MyIDE cart to do that on the 800.  I like dubbing it the CX802.  Are you going to make a label for it?

1028942[/snapback]

Hmm... I was able to bring up the MyIde menu on start up, and when the disk tells me it is ready, I hit the shift+cntl+D to disable the hard drive. I load up Mr. Atari's new avi16.atr image that he has on his demo site. Load that up to the turbo dos menu with the red background. I load the avihdV.atr program, and before I type in run 8000 I hit shift+cnrt+r to resume the IDE drive.

I make sure that in a "PC" (I do this on a Mac) :) mirrored drive designated drive 2 that I have "Atari.mov" and "Atari.raw" from the renamed mov and raw files of whatever movie I've downloaded from Mr. Atari's demo site.

The downloading process loads sectors 800 through 873 on the .mov file. Then you run a similar process with the avihds.obj file, which loads in the sound.

The process only takes maybe 40 minutes total for the TRON demo to load. However, as mentioned, I have sound currently working, not video yet.

But then I'm glad the Atari 800 is able to do this at all. :D (And the CX802 is a early beta so that might have something to with it, maybe).

As for the CX802 labels, I've already got some drafted up, and Warerat seemed to like them. The CX802 name was Warerat's idea, and based on his idea I've started working on labels for the ram modules as well (CX-858 for the 512K module for example).

So I'll try to make those labels available soon.

Ok. Here is my latest mod..

myxe.jpg

Used super low profile, heavy duty momentary pushbutton switches that I had left over from when I rebuilt my Guitar foot controller about a year ago.

Had holes for the additional function key guide posts precision milled through the keyboard mech, and then mounted the switches, and wired them (with 30ga kynar, inside the keyboard mech) to the appropriate pins to get the (1200XL) F1 - F4 decoder combinations.

Upper case half was precision milled (by my buddy, CHris) for extra function keys at 3c Machine & Instrument Co. in Houston.

Shortened the 130xe nameplate and cut the adjoining end of it to the exact profile of the edge of the Fuji symbol, so you cant see the seam.

WHat you guys think?

THey are functionally equivelant to the F1-F4 keys found on the 1200XL.

No, it is an original top case. The function key area has been milled out to accomidate the 4 extra keys. SHortening of the name plate was described in my last post, above.

There is an area where a piece of textured grey plastic from another XE case had to be precision fit and pressed in, in order to make the leading edge of the nameplate look right, but its not noticable at all.

Btw, the keys are blank. Im wondering if F1-F4 keys from an ST would fit the same footprint. THe keys I have now are from an XE, with the printing removed. ANybody got a junk 520 or 1040 ST they wanna sell me some keys off of?

THey are functionally equivelant to the F1-F4 keys found on the 1200XL.

No, it is an original top case. The function key area has been milled out to accomidate the 4 extra keys. SHortening of the name plate was described in my last post, above.

There is an area where a piece of textured grey plastic from another XE case had to be precision fit and pressed in, in order to make the leading edge of the nameplate look right,  but its not noticable at all.

Btw, the keys are blank. Im wondering if F1-F4 keys from an ST would fit the same footprint. THe keys I have now are from an XE, with the printing removed. ANybody got a junk 520 or 1040 ST they wanna sell me some keys off of?

1029703[/snapback]

I believe they do have the same exact footprint, as a matter of fact, almost any ST key would work on an XE except for one thing; the male&female keycap and plunger key are different, so it's not really possible to just pop it off the ST and plug it in the XE, but since you are using custom momentary switches anyway, this may not be a concern. As a matter of fact, PM me if you don't have extra ST keys, I do; I wouldn't want you pulling them off a working ST. I have a totally broken ST keyboard that is only good for some of it's keys.

PM me if you don't have extra ST keys, I do; I wouldn't want you pulling them off a working ST. I have a totally broken ST keyboard that is only good for some of it's keys.

1029902[/snapback]

And as we look for our ST keys for the strangely more noble purpose of sticking on a Atari 8-bit, :) I have some great news for the beige side of the Fuji.

Last night on the Tuesday Atari Chat...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...opic=81463&st=0

I managed to get some help from Stephen and after putting our heads together, managed to get the avi16 movie player that Mr. Atari made working on the Atari 800. I realize this is not the first Atari 8-bit to show the TRON demo Mr. Atari coded, but maybe one of the early times a beige 800 has gotten it to work (thanks to Warerat's XL upgrade).

Thanks to all the above who helped make it possible. Now to translate some movies of my own. ;)

post-4709-1141828750_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1141828760_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1141828860_thumb.jpg

post-4709-1141828967_thumb.jpg

Edited by doctorclu

1030056[/snapback]

Well, you know how we Atari 800 users have had to have the cartridge hatch open to use the MyIde + Flash? Well, after getting with the skillful soldering iron of my dad, we discovered that once you open the MyIde cartridge case (held together very firmly by pegs and columns... broke two getting it open, those two might have been glued) you find that the IDE connector is at the edge of the board, but that there was a way to mount the IDE connector ON the board. Nice stuff! So with a process I'll explain more later, the IDE connector was removed from the end, and soldered on the board, and one jumper wire soldered into the appropriate place. The cartridge now fits in the 800 so that the cart hatch can close, and the cable can carefully be run through the module area and out the back of the 800.

More pictures later. Just wanted to let it be known that it can be done.

When I get the upgraded CX802 (XL OS) board back with full upgrade, I'll let you know how well it works then too.

1030056[/snapback]

Well, you know how we Atari 800 users have had to have the cartridge hatch open to use the MyIde + Flash? Well, after getting with the skillful soldering iron of my dad, we discovered that once you open the MyIde cartridge case (held together very firmly by pegs and columns... broke two getting it open, those two might have been glued) you find that the IDE connector is at the edge of the board, but that there was a way to mount the IDE connector ON the board. Nice stuff! So with a process I'll explain more later, the IDE connector was removed from the end, and soldered on the board, and one jumper wire soldered into the appropriate place. The cartridge now fits in the 800 so that the cart hatch can close, and the cable can carefully be run through the module area and out the back of the 800.

More pictures later. Just wanted to let it be known that it can be done.

When I get the upgraded CX802 (XL OS) board back with full upgrade, I'll let you know how well it works then too.

1031593[/snapback]

Cool. I'm glad you found a solution. Though I did not know it wouldn't fit with the door closed. I thought the door was just open in the pictures merely becuase you did not take the time to feed the cable through the 800 yet.

I'll keep that in mind in case I decide to ad the IDE cart to my 800. But for the meantime I'm satisfied with having the 8Mb flash cart for the 800 and my IDE cart for the XL/XE. I'm more concerned with getting an my OS board modified to the XL. So, is there any update yet on any kind of general release for the CX802 instructions/kit/finished product?

Edited by Gunstar

In the meantime I got the MyIde + flash cart and as you can see it does not fit under the hatch of the Atari 800.  So I'm thinking about taking that and removing the IDE connector and putting a header in it's place.  We'll see if that gives the clearance needed.

The MyIde is working ok with the Atari 800 with the CX802 (XL OS board).  I tried to load the TRON demo yesterday that Mr. Atari has for his movie player, but the image once loaded showed four images, blurred, side by side.  Sound worked though.  Anyone run into this with the movie player?

1028940[/snapback]

Do you load disk images via the Start button at boot? I cant get my MyIDE cart to do that on the 800. I like dubbing it the CX802. Are you going to make a label for it?

I think warerat is finished getting the kinks out of his design. He told me the Slot 2 card had some power problems that he fixed last week. His card has the XL OS with Basic and Self Test. Mine does not have basic as I told him I did not want to hold option. Does anyone have an XL/XE OS with reverse Basic and Self test? If I can find such a beast, I could get him to put that on my board or maybe I should just get Steve's 32 in 1 OS. Then you would not need to change the CX802 for a CX801 to run 800 only games.

1028942[/snapback]

Yes, the 32-in-1 is probably the best bet to have 800&XL (and beyond; APE WARP+ OS is fantastic, plus, there are MyIDE OS's on it too! Or, if you contact CSS he may still have his Ultraspeed+ OS upgrade still available which includes the highspeed OS like Warp+ and 800, XL and maybe one more OS on it. I know he still sells black boxes, so he may still have the OS: http://nleaudio.com/css/index.htm

PM me if you don't have extra ST keys, I do; I wouldn't want you pulling them off a working ST. I have a totally broken ST keyboard that is only good for some of it's keys.

1029902[/snapback]

And as we look for our ST keys for the strangely more noble purpose of sticking on a Atari 8-bit, :) I have some great news for the beige side of the Fuji.

Last night on the Tuesday Atari Chat...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...opic=81463&st=0

I managed to get some help from Stephen and after putting our heads together, managed to get the avi16 movie player that Mr. Atari made working on the Atari 800. I realize this is not the first Atari 8-bit to show the TRON demo Mr. Atari coded, but maybe one of the early times a beige 800 has gotten it to work (thanks to Warerat's XL upgrade).

Thanks to all the above who helped make it possible. Now to translate some movies of my own. ;)

1030056[/snapback]

I've never seen this TRON avi demo, where can I download it? Does it need an avi player of some type for the 8-bit or is it an all inclusive demo? looks cool on the montior there...

I've never seen this TRON avi demo, where can I download it? Does it need an avi player of some type for the 8-bit or is it an all inclusive demo? looks cool on the montior there...

http://mr-atari.com/demo/

Good instructions are in the readme file there. Basically you have .mov images you have to load, then .raw images and then the player. Mr. Atari suggested that this one get used and I would have to say it is very refined compared to the last movie player he had.

Showed Docrot and Dave B the Yars Revenge and TRON demos tonight. Was fun to let them see that.

Cool. I'm glad you found a solution. Though I did not know it wouldn't fit with the door closed. I thought the door was just open in the pictures merely becuase you did not take the time to feed the cable through the 800 yet.

LOL... there was that too, but yeh the MyIde+ flash cart was designed for computers without a hatch. Now that there is a chance for the 800 to use it, they might want to consider at least making MyIDE boards in the way they used to be made.

I'll keep that in mind in case I decide to ad the IDE cart to my 800. But for the meantime I'm satisfied with having the 8Mb flash cart for the 800 and my IDE cart for the XL/XE. I'm more concerned with getting an my OS board modified to the XL. So, is there any update yet on any kind of general release for the CX802 instructions/kit/finished product?

1031640[/snapback]

The CX802 is really coming a long. Warerat has a further developed CX802 and extended memory, and working on PCB designs, so patience, he is making headway! ;)

Howdy Gunstar, folks

Always wanted the "Black box" and other items from CSS too, but couldn't afford them back in the day and can't find them now.

CSS still sells all kinds of stuff. I just recently was informed that they have enough material to build another batch of FloppyBoards. So if anyone wants them/something, just contact css at www.nleaudio.com/css

greetings

Mathy

Howdy JR

The more interesting device is the one sitting between the 2 monitors. It is the MPP/Supra Micronet and it allows you to share one SIO chain among up to 8 computers.

Can you tell me more about the Supra Micronet? All I know about it, comes from an article in Analog Computing, which wasn't very positive about it.

greetings

Mathy

This is my ATARI 320HD, based on an ATARI 800XL, but with MyIDE OS 3.1 ext, 256kB RAM-Disk "Mega-RAM III", 5x16MB on a Notebook-HD.

Beside an AMD K6-III 400 with debian-Linux without keyboard / monitor, connected via sio2pc

if I work with my ATARI, I use my BOSS-X - Desktop to start games, TextPro, write programs, if I work with debian, I use the Ice-T Terminal-Emulator to surf the web, chat in IRC, run atari800 emulator with --target curses, even watch video files (via aalib)

post-8369-1143043991_thumb.jpg

post-8369-1143044003_thumb.jpg

post-8369-1143044014_thumb.jpg

post-8369-1143044034_thumb.jpg

Howdy JR

The more interesting device is the one sitting between the 2 monitors. It is the MPP/Supra Micronet and it allows you to share one SIO chain among up to 8 computers.

Can you tell me more about the Supra Micronet? All I know about it, comes from an article in Analog Computing, which wasn't very positive about it.

greetings

Mathy

Well, that article is accurate. It does allow you to share one SIO chain among up to 8 computers. The downside is that it really doesn't do anything to arbitrate that access. Therefore if you had several users, they would have to be very careful that no one else was using any of the SIO devices before they attempted to access one. So as a multiuser device it is very limited.

For the purpose I use it for, it works great. It allows me to have access to the same set of SIO devices from any of my computers, so I don't have to swap cable around every time I want to try something on another computer.

This is my ATARI 320HD, based on an ATARI 800XL, but with MyIDE OS 3.1 ext, 256kB RAM-Disk "Mega-RAM III", 5x16MB on a Notebook-HD.

Beside an AMD K6-III 400 with debian-Linux without keyboard / monitor, connected via sio2pc

if I work with my ATARI, I use my BOSS-X - Desktop to start games, TextPro, write programs, if I work with debian, I use the Ice-T Terminal-Emulator to surf the web, chat in IRC, run atari800 emulator with --target curses, even watch video files (via aalib)

Very cool setup. I m familiar with Ice-T since I use it all the time to connect to telnet BBSes. But can you give me info on surfing the web and using IRC. I don't have Linux on my PC but I may be getting an old laptop - I'd love to chat on IRC with the Atari.

Thanks.

Stephen Anderson

I woulkd just like to point out something... that the warp spped o/s and ultraspeed o/s mod's will only work on happy/usd/lazer/duplicator/isplate or hyperdrive/SA/SA2 and compatible 1050/810 upgrades

It will not work on any european 1050/810 upgrade that follows the speedy/super or turbo speedy protocols as these upgrades do not conform to USD or ultraspeed format/sector skewing

Hey anyone who was interested in how I did the 130XE F1 - F4 key hack, heres a pic of how I did the keyboard.

keyhack.jpg

The part where the microswitches are mounted was cut from another XE keyboard.

The wire near the bottom is my Hardisk Activity LED and has nothing to do with the F-keys mod.