IGNORED

Show pictures of your collection.

Ross PK

A fantastic set-up! I love those Magnavox monitors. :)

So do I. I have 3 or 4 of them, but just this one has the dark brown screen border.

I have the magnavox rgb 80, I love that one... would love to pick up some of the magnavox 40's tho

A fantastic set-up! I love those Magnavox monitors. icon_smile.gif

So do I. I have 3 or 4 of them, but just this one has the dark brown screen border.

I have the magnavox rgb 80, I love that one... would love to pick up some of the magnavox 40's tho

I'm not lucky enough to own a Magnavox, but I enjoy them vicariously. :)

• 2 months later...

I decided to give the two 1084Ss in the cupboard an airing tonight (since the LCD feels a bit... well... flat), and I was shocked to discover my 1084ST has started to yellow again, three months after being RetroBrited. I didn't have the anti-UV spray back then, which I suppose is a shame. It'll need doing again and treating.

Anyway: the 1084S-P is suffering no such problems and has the better tube. I thought I'd share since I tidied up the other night...

post-21964-128129348482_thumb.jpg

Edited by flashjazzcat

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to give the two 1084Ss in the cupboard an airing tonight (since the LCD feels a bit... well... flat), and I was shocked to discover my 1084ST has started to yellow again, three months after being RetroBrited. I didn't have the anti-UV spray back then, which I suppose is a shame. It'll need doing again and treating.

Anyway: the 1084S-P is suffering no such problems and has the better tube. I thought I'd share since I tidied up the other night...

post-21964-128129348482_thumb.jpg

Heheh. I see that after all that testing with LCDs, you finally decided that the best available display is still the good ol' commodore/magnavox CRT with chroma/luma inputs.. :pirate:

Heheh. I see that after all that testing with LCDs, you finally decided that the best available display is still the good ol' commodore/magnavox CRT with chroma/luma inputs.. icon_pirate.gif

In my case, LCDs still beat CRTs hands down for chroma/luma input with the stock Ataris. I couple the CRTs with my VBXE machine, which is what I use 99% of the time. I tried some of my modified non-VBXE Ataris with the CRTs and the results weren't good. Unmodified XLs and XEs are actually better than the SuperVideo models, which seem to overcook the display, and the unmodified machines are plagued with artifacts. VBXE looks best through the CRT, though: if I didn't have RGB output, I'd be using the LCD exculsively.

I'd be interested in improving the picture on the non-VBXE machines so they look better through the CRT. I'll take some photos later to demonstrate how grotty the picture is.

Edited by flashjazzcat

not much of a picture compared to some of the awesome collections some of you have, but here is a snap of my current set up

setup3.jpg

There is a lot of stuff in storage/hiding like my Jaguar,3DO,400,600xl,1200xl,FB2,PAL heavy sixer,NTSC 7800,Amiga 500+ and 1200,Saturn,Dreamcast,PS1etc etc etc

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I see the ST got relegated icon_smile.gif

Yep: it's in the cupboard with the other three (!). It hadn't been fired up in about three months and was merely collecting dust.

Hey, at least you had less dust in your room while it was collecting dust.

Never mind that, I just had a question since you know your ST monitors. I have this monitor that seems to change colors on its own. Any suggestion as to what got screwed up. I don't think Atari ST has an ATTRACT mode like location 77 on Atari 800. If it's an easy thing to trace down and fix, I won't have to trash this thing:

post-12094-128533626172_thumb.jpg

...I just had a question since you know your ST monitors. I have this monitor that seems to change colors on its own. Any suggestion as to what got screwed up. I don't think Atari ST has an ATTRACT mode like location 77 on Atari 800. If it's an easy thing to trace down and fix, I won't have to trash this thing:

Don't trash it! There's a loose connection on the green gun, either in the cable or in the monitor's signal jack.

Uhhh.. Theres a whole lot more failure points that can cause a reduction in amplitude on the green gun.. you HOPE it's just a loose connection.. The fact that it's intermitant doesnt necessarily point to a loose connection. Theres quite a few 20+ year old analog components present in the drive circuits for that gun that could be breaking down intermittantly. How does the thing act when its cold (first fired up) versus good & warmed up (been run for several hours)?

Uhhh.. Theres a whole lot more failure points that can cause a reduction in amplitude on the green gun.. you HOPE it's just a loose connection.. The fact that it's intermitant doesnt necessarily point to a loose connection. Theres quite a few 20+ year old analog components present in the drive circuits for that gun that could be breaking down intermittantly. How does the thing act when its cold (first fired up) versus good & warmed up (been run for several hours)?

Well, my knowledge is limted to fixing loose connections, of course... all I meant is it's the first thing I'd check. It's been the cause the two or three times I've had the same thing happen.