IGNORED

GETRIS - new game

tebe

There are a lot of Tetris games out there. A lot of terrible or mediocre Tetris games. This is a good one.

I like the use of non-traditional shapes. Changes the character of the game. Most importantly, the game mechanics are there. This is a Tetris game that can actually be played.

One thing missing though. There's no way to select a level.

yes, highscore system working right

1017365[/snapback]

No, there's definately a problem; if you score over 3000 points it doesn't move the three entries below you down and just overwrites the name and score for the third place so it just disappears. i've attached before and after screens (i'm working from the XEX, by the way).

post-3086-1139776889_thumb.jpg

Edited by TMR

Hello Tebe,

something off-topic here, but since your homepage has no e-mail adresses, I do not know how to contact you otherwise. Having just downloaded some of your programs, I noticed, that the download of "Via-Copy" does not work... maybe you can fix this...

And hey, this is really a good tetris !! I love it !!

-Andreas Magenheimer.

Thanks for a new game for my beloved Atari :-) I like the graphics (though perhaps it would be nice if the interlace could be turned off to save one's eyesight).

The concept is not so original, but the implementation of it is superb.

It's only a pity that the game doesn't have a dedicated set of game tunes rather than using ASMA entries. Are the musicians nowadays so lazy that they don't want to help you with game music? :)

My score for the first game:

post-6830-1139831618_thumb.png

Pretty, but needs work--

There doesn't appear to be a four-square line piece... meaning this is the first Tetris clone I've ever played where it's impossible to make a "tetris". Not good.

Lines just disappear without any flashing or indication of how many points you've scored.

The auto-rotate function when you hold the button down is more of a hindrance than a help. It doesn't even rotate at a regular speed. Pretty much useless.

There should be a numeric indication of how many lines are remaining in the current level. The bar graph is easy to overlook, too imprecise (it seems to just "jump" every dozen lines or so instead of filling up smoothly), and hopelessly vague.

Nice looking game - does it run on real hardware? On my NTSC 130XE it crashes, even though it plays fine in 60Hz mode on the emulator (AtariWin+ 4). I didn't bother to hook up my PAL machine since my monitor will only display black&white.

Stephen Anderson

Great implementation of a classic game. I only played it in an emulator, which was a bit jerky on my old PC, but look forward to playing it on real hardware. It's an amazing amount of color that you squeeze out of the A8s.

I also checked out some of your other games on your site. Equally impressive. I think it's very generous of you to include the source for your games so that others can learn from what you do. It's a shame I can't read Polish. ;)

Great to see the techniques developed in demos finding their way into real games. Keep up the good work.

that's actually a damn nice game - I like the way it makes me feel like a newbie and I'm having to rediscover how to play tetris again because of the new shapes.

If you asked me on my first attempt I'd have said it was a bad thing being set in my ways and being able to play the original subconciously but thinking about it and playing some more...

hmm,

the game is great - but quite long. Any chance to pack it (and make it unpack properly) ?!? I tried Dj Packer and Code3 Cruncher with no success (they packed it to less than 50%, but when unpacking the game crashed - the screen only displayed a vertical stripe)...

Maybe you know how to change and then successfully pack this game TeBe ?!? Afaik you were/are Madman of MadTeam - are you mad enough ;-) to pack Getris for me ??? greetings, Andreas Magenheimer.

It is good Tetris clone, but could there be another version without flickering? Ok, there will be probably less colors, but anyway. Just an idea.

1022349[/snapback]

I've only played it on an emulator, on an under powered PC. Does the game flicker as much when played on real hardware using a TV as a monitor?

The flicker you experience will depend on your refresh rate on the PC monitor, whether the emu is in PAL or NTSC mode, etc.

Real hardware will flicker too, TVs generally get less of it than monitors due to higher persistence of the tube.

Hint: some video capture cards have a "blend" option (and some do it by default). Blending merges 2 interlaced frames together and as such will eliminate flicker.