IGNORED

2600 problem

Atari freak 1

quote:

Originally posted by Atari freak 1:

well, I think I have a doorstop,

by the way I just bought it a week ago after a long time waiting to find one.

damn!

If you want to try to put in a new cartridge port you can get one for $3.00 - $3.50, depending on the Atari system you have. So it doesn't ahve to be a door stop after all

Take a look at http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/2600_Tech_Tips.htm

Towards the bottom of the page it lists these items --

Atari 2600 angled 24 pin female Cartridge Connector $3.00

Atari 2600A/2600Jr 24 pin female Cartridge Connector, straight $3.50

I wish you the best of luck getting your system up and running, or at least finding a replacement system

quote:

Originally posted by Atari freak 1:

I got a cartrige slot from a jr.

will that work in my vader?

It should work just fine. As listed at Best the 2600A and 2600Jr use the same one. Being a Vader (4-Switch 2600A) it should work fine.

Let us know how it turns out, and best of luck Atari Freak 1

• 2 weeks later...

Before taking it all apart, do you have a "hotel room card" of any kind? Like those thin things they use in hotels....

I think if you coat one with isopropyl alcohol, and slide it in and out of the cartridge slot it might fix it.

Unless of course it is entirely broken inside, which I suspect it ISN'T.

Or alternatively, take a crap cartridge, and drench the pcb part with isopropyl alcohol, and do the same thing. It probably won't even wreak the cartridge either.

Just some ideas, since the situation is so "serious".

And tho I think it might really break it, you could consider spraying electrical contact cleaner into the cartridge port.

If it is going to become a doorstop anyway, you might as well try it if you haven't got anything to lose...

Especially if you are intending to replace the cartridge slot anyways, what would it hurt then? There would be no loss either way if it already doesn't work.

• 6 years later...

Well I know that this reply maybe like 5 years too late lmao .. but i figured it may help you out Atari freak or anyone else that may need help with taking off the black plastic enclosure around the cartridge connector. I just performed this today for the first time ... Look on the back side of the 2600 board and there should be 2 "T" shaped holes .. Use a very small screwdriver and take out the phillips head screw that resides on each side. The screws are inside of the black casing .. heads facing slanted down towards the board. Take the 2 screws out and the black casing lifts off exposing the 24 pin female Cartridge Connector. Mine happens to be slanted because its a 6 switch .. but later models will be straight. Hope this helps..