IGNORED

DUAL "POKEY" SOUND CHIP STEREO UPGRADE BOARDS

MEtalGuy66

Hello pepax

I really would like to meet you guys again in Lengenfeld near Zwickau (from the 20th untill the 22nd of 2007) in Germany. (Did you notice I'm trying to convince other readers to come too. ;) )

Mega-Hz can re-layout PCBs and sometimes orders a bunch of PCB's. Check out http://mega-hz.no-ip.com/Angebote/angebote.html unfortunately, it's in German only.

We need more active programmers who know how to programm for the multilink interface. And Raster is active, innovative and good. Now all we have to do is convince him to write more software for the multilink interface. :-D

Greetings

Mathy

I will be more than happy if someone could re-produce the PCB for the multijoy interface, I want at least 2

Hello mimo

Mega-hz is looking into making smaller PCB's for the multijoy interface. The idea is that you might have multijoy interfaces that will only have 4 joystickport, but that can be connected together to form multijoy8, multijoy12 or multijoy16 interfaces. Since there aren't always a lot of people around that are willing (and able) to play the same game, you usually don't need more than 4 joystickports. But as I already mentioned, should you need more ports, the PCB's can be linked together. The main advantage is that the individual interfaces are smaller and probably cheaper. And not everybody who's into multijoy games needs to buy (an carry around) a multijoy8 or even multijoy16 interface.

As I said, mega-hz mentioned that he is looking into it. That doesn't mean that they will become available tomorrow, the next week, month or even year. So be patient.

If you really, really, really want this thing to become really, you might want to come to the Fujiama 2007 in Lengenfeld near Zwickau in Germany. For more details please look here: http://www.uncon.de And convince mega-hz yourself. He has expressed his intention to be their.

Greetings

Mathy (who is also planning to be there. Last year I arrived at 6am, the year before, when it was still called "unconventional" I arrived an hour earlier. After driving all night.)

PS budget companies will fly you to bigger airports for not a lot of money now a days. Shiuming Lai has there in 2004 or 2003. Check out his article in one of the older online issues at http://www.myatari.net

thanks for the news, being able to add blocks of 4 sounds like a great idea (so I need 4 PCB's!!)

I would really like to Germany, but with the state of my finances I really dont think it will be possible we will see though :)

I will be more than happy if someone could re-produce the PCB for the multijoy interface, I want at least 2

OK, the stereo PCBs will be probably available relatively soon. I'll also ask Raster (if I don't forget) if it is possible to order the Multijoy PCBs along. BTW: do you want MUltijoy8 or even Multijoy16? :)

And I shouldn't forget to mention an important piece of information: the producer accepts orders of at least 10 pieces!

We will hopefully bring the stereo PCBs to the Fujiama 2007 party.

Edited by pepax

I want two of the multijoy 8's please, and one of the Stereo Pokey PCB's

Sorry, I can't help you with the Multijoy. Raster told me he hasn't done any Multijoy PCB layout. All Multijoys owned by our club members are originals.

Try asking Mega-Hz instead.

The XE Stereo PCBs have been ordered and will be hopefully available at Fujiama Party in Lengenfeld.

I want two of the multijoy 8's please, and one of the Stereo Pokey PCB's

Sorry, I can't help you with the Multijoy. Raster told me he hasn't done any Multijoy PCB layout. All Multijoys owned by our club members are originals.

Try asking Mega-Hz instead.

The XE Stereo PCBs have been ordered and will be hopefully available at Fujiama Party in Lengenfeld.

Hi Pepax,

Don't forget the poor souls who can't make it. :| Let me know how much you need for the two XE Stereo PCB's I requested and their postage. I'll send it paypal. :D

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

resurrecting this thread again... :D i would be interested in getting one of these (either Metalguy's or Raster's) for my 600XL. anyone have any info on the status of these boards? any available anywhere? if not, what's the resistor value on that schematic and where is the A4 connection on the Dual POKEY board? thanks.

Edited by athleos

resurrecting this thread again... :D i would be interested in getting one of these (either Metalguy's or Raster's) for my 600XL. anyone have any info on the status of these boards? any available anywhere? if not, what's the resistor value on that schematic and where is the A4 connection on the Dual POKEY board? thanks.

I believe that everything you need to know is here.

As I said, Krupkaj still may have some boards left. Just ask him. :) Don't ask the authors though, they can't be bothered with any business matters. :D

If you really want to buy the C.P.U.'s stereo upgrade board think twice before ordering it:

a) if you really can make it fit in an XL machine, as it is meant for the XEs only (one capacitor stands in an unfortunate location and has to be "moved" somewhere, at least in the 800XL)

b) if you really know where to buy all the other parts (they are readily available here but it may not be the case in your location). If you can't ask the PCB seller if he can send you a "kit" instead (oh my, Krupkaj WILL thank me for saying that :D ).

Pepax

I believe that everything you need to know is here.

As I said, Krupkaj still may have some boards left. Just ask him. :) Don't ask the authors though, they can't be bothered with any business matters. :D

If you really want to buy the C.P.U.'s stereo upgrade board think twice before ordering it:

a) if you really can make it fit in an XL machine, as it is meant for the XEs only (one capacitor stands in an unfortunate location and has to be "moved" somewhere, at least in the 800XL)

b) if you really know where to buy all the other parts (they are readily available here but it may not be the case in your location). If you can't ask the PCB seller if he can send you a "kit" instead (oh my, Krupkaj WILL thank me for saying that :D ).

Pepax

thanks for the info Pepax! i'll check it out, but it seems that Metalguy's board is sort of taylored to fit more of a variety of machines as well as it seems simpler. if i can figure out where to connect the A4 signal and what value the resistor is, i should be able to reproduce the board without much effort. i'll contact Krupkaj and see what he has to say. thanks again.

thanks for the info Pepax! i'll check it out, but it seems that Metalguy's board is sort of taylored to fit more of a variety of machines as well as it seems simpler. if i can figure out where to connect the A4 signal and what value the resistor is, i should be able to reproduce the board without much effort. i'll contact Krupkaj and see what he has to say. thanks again.

You can install the upgrade without the board by piggybacking chips. It might be the way to go in a 600XL:

http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/atari/pokey.html

You can install the upgrade without the board by piggybacking chips. It might be the way to go in a 600XL:

http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/atari/pokey.html

Of course, but it often means that people cut the unnecessary pins off the poor Pokey. That's one of the reasons Bob!k and Raster devised the PCB. The others are obvious, too.

i think from the link puppetmark gave me, i can piece together the board that Metalguy was selling. thanks for the link puppetmark! i definitely don't want to be bending and cutting pins on any IC especially the POKEY! anyway, i'll still talk to Krupkaj soon. thanks guys!

i definitely don't want to be bending and cutting pins on any IC especially the POKEY! anyway, i'll still talk to Krupkaj soon. thanks guys!

I don't blame you. making your own board can be fun too. I just found a cool PCB / schematic design program. I just starting using this and I like it . There is even a freeware version with a huge library of parts. However, the freeware version is limited to 250 pins. good documentation too.

http://www.diptrace.com/download.php

questions: does the second POKEY usually mimic the first with programs that don't support it? i.e. the music composer cartridge, because my POKEY B does not make a sound. also, for some reason, the POKEY that is on, i.e. POKEY A, is EXTREMELY noisy. will the .01µf caps fix that? thanks.

questions: does the second POKEY usually mimic the first with programs that don't support it? i.e. the music composer cartridge, because my POKEY B does not make a sound. also, for some reason, the POKEY that is on, i.e. POKEY A, is EXTREMELY noisy. will the .01µf caps fix that? thanks.

If the software doesn't support the dual POKEY upgrade it will do nothing because it is not being addressed.

I am not sure what you mean by "noisy" What does it soundlike in the seft test (hold down option when turning on computer)? You should her nice clear tones.

If the software doesn't support the dual POKEY upgrade it will do nothing because it is not being addressed.

I am not sure what you mean by "noisy" What does it soundlike in the seft test (hold down option when turning on computer)? You should her nice clear tones.

by "noisy," i meant that when i powered on the computer, there was a very loud buzz around 50Hz or so, that would fluctuate when the computer would access RAM or load a cartridge, then when idle it would hum, not as loud but close. i accessed "DOS" through the music composer cartridge and did the "audio/visual" test and when the POKEY would play the notes on the screen, it would make a click instead of the tone. as i said before, the click was barely audible over the hum... i modeled my board exactly after metalguy's dual POKEY board and i've checked it with a multimeter. there are no mistakes on the board so, since i am installing the board in a 600XL and there are two Mylar caps and a RAM chip right next door, maybe it's receiving interference from the caps or the chip??? i don't know, i may have to go old school and piggy back the chips.

[edit] i guess self-test and accessing DOS from the cart are the same thing... i'm a noob. sorry.

Edited by athleos

by "noisy," i meant that when i powered on the computer, there was a very loud buzz around 50Hz or so, that would fluctuate when the computer would access RAM or load a cartridge, then when idle it would hum, not as loud but close. i accessed "DOS" through the music composer cartridge and did the "audio/visual" test and when the POKEY would play the notes on the screen, it would make a click instead of the tone. as i said before, the click was barely audible over the hum... i modeled my board exactly after metalguy's dual POKEY board and i've checked it with a multimeter. there are no mistakes on the board so, since i am installing the board in a 600XL and there are two Mylar caps and a RAM chip right next door, maybe it's receiving interference from the caps or the chip??? i don't know, i may have to go old school and piggy back the chips.

[edit] i guess self-test and accessing DOS from the cart are the same thing... i'm a noob. sorry.

Did you get this affect with just one POKEY? That is, before you upgraded to dual POKEYs.

Did you get this affect with just one POKEY? That is, before you upgraded to dual POKEYs.

no. in fact, i reverted back to the single POKEY until i get this figured out and it works perfectly.

[edit] hold on a sec, i think i just found a short between pin 4 and pin 37 of POKEY A. i'll see if that helps.

[edit#2] that fixed it!!! woo hoo!!! now all i need to do is get a tracker that supports dual POKEYs on a floppy or cart...

Edited by athleos