IGNORED

DUAL "POKEY" SOUND CHIP STEREO UPGRADE BOARDS

MEtalGuy66

• 3 months later...
Hi Pals,

You know how the 800XL has a monitor jack?

And two (I believe) of its pins are for stereo?

Can you tell me how to hook up my stereo to the 800?

Thanks a lot,

Walter

The pins are for Composite Video, Chroma, Luma, Audio (mono) and Ground. Not all models have Chroma, though. I wish I could find out why it was deleted.

Hi Pals,

You know how the 800XL has a monitor jack?

And two (I believe) of its pins are for stereo?

Can you tell me how to hook up my stereo to the 800?

Thanks a lot,

Walter

The 800xl does not have stereo output from the monitor jack in its stock form. In order to have stereo sound, you need to add a second pokey chip using the instructions found in a link somewhere in this thread and wire a jack for it. If you don't have a clearpic mod, or if you have a clearpic mod and have disabled component video out, I suppose you could wire your second pokey output to the unused pin(s).

Keep in mind that there is a limited list of software written to take advantage of the second pokey...

Hello Bryan

I wish I could find out why it was deleted.

According to an interview in either ANALOG Computing or ANTIC (but I guess it was ANALOG) it was left out to make room for a second sound signal. As in "dual pokey".

greetings

Mathy

Not all models have Chroma, though. I wish I could find out why it was deleted.
According to an interview in either ANALOG Computing or ANTIC (but I guess it was ANALOG) it was left out to make room for a second sound signal. As in "dual pokey".
Maybe so, but I suspect it was because so many Atari users (like me) were buying Commodore monitors, which supported separate luma and chroma.

Keep in mind that there is a limited list of software written to take advantage of the second pokey...

Actually, theres several HUGE lists posted in this thread, and just about every new released game or demo these days of any substance at all detects and uses stereo sound if available via Raster's excellent RMT routines which he's made available as part of his RMT (Raster Music Tracker) system.

Not to mention that there are several ATARI "musicians" that post new stereo RMT creaqtions pretty regularly in several threads on this forum.

Someone needs to make a "stereo compilation CD".. I bet theres at least 50-100 megs of stereo supporting software and music content out there..

Actually, theres several HUGE lists posted in this thread, and just about every new released game or demo these days of any substance at all detects and uses stereo sound if available via Raster's excellent RMT routines which he's made available as part of his RMT (Raster Music Tracker) system.

Not to mention that there are several ATARI "musicians" that post new stereo RMT creaqtions pretty regularly in several threads on this forum.

Someone needs to make a "stereo compilation CD".. I bet theres at least 50-100 megs of stereo supporting software and music content out there..

Yep, point taken. I guess I was thinking it's limited because software originally written at the time the 8-bit was a current, viable platform in the mainstream computer market does not support it...if you remove demos/songs from the list and focus on applications, it shrinks pretty quickly...

Yep, point taken. I guess I was thinking it's limited because software originally written at the time the 8-bit was a current, viable platform in the mainstream computer market does not support it...if you remove demos/songs from the list and focus on applications, it shrinks pretty quickly...

Well, the only "application" for it is a music editor.. And RMT is so far more advanced than any editor thats been written for the atari, its not even worth comparing them...

Given, the editor runs on a PC, but this is the most efficient way to do it..

Raster has devoted several years to the RMT project, and collaborated with alot of musicians/coders to refine it to what it is today. I dont think anyone is going to bother trying to "best" what he has done with RMT, if it's even possible..

And demos/songs doesnt include games.. Theres been quite a few in the last few years worth mentioning.. Most of which incorporate stereo support.

At the time that I started this thread (and made those few boards) I would have agreed with what you said first.. I figured it was an interesting novelty at best.. But now, after seeing so many new releases supporting stereo POKEYs, I'm seriously considering making a few more boards.. Quite a few people have asked me in the past 2 years if I had any more stereo pokey boards for sale. There is definitely enough interest to substantiate another production run... This time, I may even include an on-board stereo pre-amp IC to facilitate the use of a "headphone jack"...

Edited by MEtalGuy66

Well, the only "application" for it is a music editor.. And RMT is so far more advanced than any editor thats been written for the atari, its not even worth comparing them...

Raster has devoted several years to the RMT project, and collaborated with alot of musicians/coders to refine it to what it is today. I dont think anyone is going to bother trying to "best" what he has done with RMT, if it's even possible..

And demos/songs doesnt include games.. Theres been quite a few in the last few years worth mentioning.. Most of which incorporate stereo support.

At the time that I started this thread (and made those few boards) I would have agreed with what you said first.. I figured it was an interesting novelty at best.. But now, after seeing so many new releases supporting stereo POKEYs, I'm seriously considering making a few more boards.. Quite a few people have asked me in the past 2 years if I had any more stereo pokey boards for sale. There is definitely enough interest to substantiate another production run... This time, I may even include an on-board stereo pre-amp IC to facilitate the use of a "headphone jack"...

Put my name on the list! I'd be down for at least 2.

It would be nice to have a compiled list of available stereo-enabled releases.

I would like two if you make more.

But now, after seeing so many new releases supporting stereo POKEYs, I'm seriously considering making a few more boards.. Quite a few people have asked me in the past 2 years if I had any more stereo pokey boards for sale. There is definitely enough interest to substantiate another production run... This time, I may even include an on-board stereo pre-amp IC to facilitate the use of a "headphone jack"...

Would love it if this were available. I'd be first on board to buy one.

I have got 2 unused ones for sale if anyone wants to make an offer (these are the RASTER/C.P.U) 2006/12 v 1.02 versions.

I probably have some of the components needed too.

Time for me to take a reality check and realise that I have no time for all these projects

How about doing a quad-pokey board? Would there be any interest? The stereo upgrade is pretty easily done via piggybacking chips, but a plug-in quad board would be fantastic...

pretty sure that would be overkill... i don't think you'd find ANYTHING that you could get for your atari that would utilize four POKEY's. unless, of course, you were to write your own program of sorts..

How about doing a quad-pokey board? Would there be any interest? The stereo upgrade is pretty easily done via piggybacking chips, but a plug-in quad board would be fantastic...

pretty sure that would be overkill... i don't think you'd find ANYTHING that you could get for your atari that would utilize four POKEY's. unless, of course, you were to write your own program of sorts..

There is some software out there for 4 pokey chips. But, LOTS of people have stereo pokey boards. Theres not nearly as much following for the quad pokey upgrade. ATARI used to make a "quad-pokey chip", that was used in various arcade machines. Those are so rare now, that the arcade restoration guys are selling adapter boards that allow you to use 4 seaprate pokey chips in place of a single "quad-pokey"..

So to say the least, a board that uses 4 pokey chips would occupy quite a bit of space inside the atari. Not to mention, that youd have to buy 4 pokey chips (or steal them out of 4 spare ataris).

Also, youd have to decide whether you want 4 separate sound outputs, or do you want to add circuitry to mix them into 2 channels to just use normal stereo outputs.

Id say that if you are enough of an eccentric to seriously want quad-pokey capability, its fairly easy to build the mod yourself, either on perfboard, or via the piggyback method..

The normal stereo pokey standard, on the other hand, has quite enough demand to warrant producing a run of boards..

There are trackers that do support four pokeys...that's where my main interest would lie in this upgrade, in music creation. And I'm actually not opposed to writing for it myself...

So to say the least, a board that uses 4 pokey chips would occupy quite a bit of space inside the atari. Not to mention, that youd have to buy 4 pokey chips (or steal them out of 4 spare ataris).

I just bought two from an online reseller for $6 each. I'm not worried about the cost of c012294 chips at this point...though I should probably buy a bunch to keep a supply for these projects. That's the idea, though - having a well-designed board would save a lot of space over doing it on a proto board (the practical limit of my layout abilities). And in the 1200xl case, there's plenty of room.

Also, youd have to decide whether you want 4 separate sound outputs, or do you want to add circuitry to mix them into 2 channels to just use normal stereo outputs.

Definitely four separate sound outputs, for me personally. I'd mix them externally.

Id say that if you are enough of an eccentric to seriously want quad-pokey capability, its fairly easy to build the mod yourself, either on perfboard, or via the piggyback method..

Ya, which is what I'm going to end up doing.

The normal stereo pokey standard, on the other hand, has quite enough demand to warrant producing a run of boards..

Ya, I figured. Any way to produce a board with room for pin headers on the edge so they could be stacked, if any 'eccentrics' like myself wanted four pokeys? :D

Producing a board with four POKEY chips would be pretty easy if you were installing in a 1200XL. (you could use the same board for two chips, also) PCBs are a heck of a lot easier to make these days. ExpressPCB will make you three boards for $65 - total cost, in three days. No way I would perf-board something like that for $65.

Bob

There are trackers that do support four pokeys...that's where my main interest would lie in this upgrade, in music creation. And I'm actually not opposed to writing for it myself...

I just bought two from an online reseller for $6 each. I'm not worried about the cost of c012294 chips at this point...though I should probably buy a bunch to keep a supply for these projects. That's the idea, though - having a well-designed board would save a lot of space over doing it on a proto board (the practical limit of my layout abilities). And in the 1200xl case, there's plenty of room.

Definitely four separate sound outputs, for me personally. I'd mix them externally.

Ya, which is what I'm going to end up doing.

Ya, I figured. Any way to produce a board with room for pin headers on the edge so they could be stacked, if any 'eccentrics' like myself wanted four pokeys? :D

There is some software out there for 4 pokey chips. But, LOTS of people have stereo pokey boards.
i'd love to try the software for 4 chips if it's available. i just assumed is was a little overkill :D
yeah, i ended up building my own but i would have loved a board if i was around when you were offering them!

There is some software out there for 4 pokey chips. But, LOTS of people have stereo pokey boards.
i'd love to try the software for 4 chips if it's available. i just assumed is was a little overkill :D
yeah, i ended up building my own but i would have loved a board if i was around when you were offering them!

It certainly makes things look nicer inside the case. Whoever did the Rambo, clearpic, and PBI mods on mine soldered all wires to the top of the board...it was a mess. I've cleaned it up a lot by removing the PBI hack, and re-soldered some of those jumpers while adding the second pokey, but there are still piggybacked chips and wires running all over the place. :D Also less chance of snagging an errant ribbon cable on some of that wire-wrap wire and tearing something loose, only to have to re-open the case and find out wtf you did that the system won't boot. Er, not that I've done that... :ponder:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i have a question. if i were to add 2 more POKEYs to Metalguy's design, could i connect the A4 signal to pin 2 of the 74LS14 and then at each subsequent output of the 74LS14, i.e. pins 4,6 and 8, connect pin 31 of each POKEY? also, i would have to bridge pin 4 to 5 and 6 to 9, correct? i tried to make an illustration of what i mean...

[edit]illustration attached.

go easy on me because i don't have an electronic engineering background and i'm just trying to figure this out as i go! i would assume that the audio out of just 1 POKEY would be enough to supply the +5Vcc that the hex/schmitt trigger needs...? also, would i just connect pin 17 of all 4 POKEYs to pins 13 and 1 of the 74LS14? thanks for any help!

74LS14_illustration.txt

Edited by athleos