IGNORED

Jaguar: Worst Game Controller Ever

Nimtene

What do you all think about this:

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/690/690453p1.html

Personally, I'd rather use the Jaguar Controller than

any of the other 9 supposedly better (still bad) options.

And what the deal with the complaints about the plug

easily falling out. I've never had that problem before.

I've read around here that there were no less than 8

slightly different Jaguar controller revisions; So Maybe

the last (cheaper) versions had this issue with them?

It makes me wonder if the guy even used the controllers. Upon first look the Jaguar controllers do look uncomfortable, but I have no complaints about them.

The keypad criticism is well noted though. It's a waste of space.

Criticizing it because its three buttons though just rehashes old Atari bigotry. Why doesn't he mention the original Genesis controllers then? And why is the Jaguar controller number one? It's no where near as horrible as the Power Glove or a slew of other really bad third-party controllers that have cropped up over the years.

The plug pulling out thing is something I've never experienced either.

I think it's an in thing for these review sites and magazines to try to slam the Jaguar whenever they have the chance.

I've never had a problem with the cord falling out either. I also happen to like the number pad. Made stuff like switching weapons in Doom easier than trying to scroll through all the weapons to get the one you want.

I didn't understand how it was number one at first either. But there are some crippling aspects that make it deserve it's spot. For starters as bad as the intv and 5200 controllers were they were still experimenting with new ideas at the time. And as to be expected you're not always going to get it right.

With the jaguar what was considered a good normal controller had already been found through the genesis and snes. They must have figured having such key flaws (only 3 buttons while the snes and genesis had six, number pad) were unforgivable for how late in the day the controller was.

I mean it is leaps and bounds better than the intv controller and the 5200 don't get me wrong on that. But for such a new controller the problems just seem mroe glaring. And why it beat out total garabge like the inferred controllers or power glove is simple, those were never meant to be standard controlers at most shots in the pan. The jaguars was intended for regular use with all games, those others were experiments that just didn't pan out.

As for the controller falling out, I'm at a loss on that one. Does it deserve the number one? Who's to say, but it is up there.

Actually Saturn x, the Jaguar controller was the leading edge in it's class when it was developed. It's the first ergonomically designed joypad-type controller period. It took the good aspects of the Genesis controller with it's main button placement, added large curvy grips on the sides for comfort, and with what would have just been empty space otherwise, added the keypad in there. I love the keypad, it's just admittedly hard and awkward to use during a game.

I'm not stating the Jag pad is the best of all time, but again, here is another article that doesn't give Atari any credit for anything, and never really states pertinent information that would give a hint of respectability for Atari's efforts. Atari should get credit for advancing controller design in the industry, and the Jaguar pad is miles above it's contemporary competition in the 3DO which truly was 'just another' copycat Genesis/SNES pad with no innovation at all.

It took 2 years for another ergo design to hit the market with the Playstation pad which was simply a SNES controller with handlebars. Simple, but a good design and comfortable...but 2 years after Atari's Jag pad.

Also, on the point of the cable coming loose easy. Yes, it does from my experience, I've never really had the feeling that the plug 'locks' in when inserted. Not like a SNES controller or a GC controller plug for instance. I find I need to tighten the connection up once in awhile.

Edited by Gunstarhero

I've never understood the people that live for the sony dualshock controller. It's extremely outdated and a poor design. Without analog triggers, which have been around since the Dreamcast days, racing games are horrible to play on the ps2. Pressure sensitive buttons are just a bandaid to cover a major flaw. The Jag controller fits well in my hands, although the keypad is too low on the controller. I'd say my favorite controllers are the N64 and the Dreamcast. My least favorite ones are the 7800 ProLine and the NES Max. Never used a 5200 but I'd assume I wouldn't care too much for that either.

Actually Saturn x, the Jaguar controller was the leading edge in it's class when it was developed. It's the first ergonomically designed joypad-type controller period. It took the good aspects of the Genesis controller with it's main button placement, added large curvy grips on the sides for comfort, and with what would have just been empty space otherwise, added the keypad in there. I love the keypad, it's just admittedly hard and awkward to use during a game.

I'm not stating the Jag pad is the best of all time, but again, here is another article that doesn't give Atari any credit for anything, and never really states pertinent information that would give a hint of respectability for Atari's efforts. Atari should get credit for advancing controller design in the industry, and the Jaguar pad is miles above it's contemporary competition in the 3DO which truly was 'just another' copycat Genesis/SNES pad with no innovation at all.

1022807[/snapback]

I commend them for thinking outside the box and attempting to make the controller erganmoic and isn't a blatant snes/genesis rip off, but all in all the controller doesn't cut it. I think they would have been better off scrapping that controller and trying something else. I never found the thing to be all that comftorable to hold, a matter of opinion I know, but I would pick the snes or genesis controllers over the jaguars in a heart beat.

Edited by sega saturn x

What a generally stupid article.

No way is the Jag controller the worst. And is it still tEh FunNIeZ! to bash the Xbox controller? Get a man sized set of hands already.

And the INTV II controller is much worse than the one pictured there. Also, while the 5200 controller sucks, it is yards better than the INTV.

Oh and the TI sticks might deserve to move up a notch. THEY suck! :D

I commend them for thinking outside the box and attempting to make the controller erganmoic and isn't a blatant snes/genesis rip off, but all in all the controller doesn't cut it.  I think they would have been better off scrapping that controller and trying something else.  I never found the thing to be all that comftorable to hold, a matter of opinion I know, but I would pick the snes or genesis controllers over the jaguars in a heart beat.

I think another thing to consider is WHEN we were introduced to the Jaguar... The Jaguar was the second system I ever owned (2600 being the first), and until that point, the only systems I had really played extensively were the NES and SNES (and the Genesis every once in awhile).

I imagine if someone had 'newer' systems first, the Jaguar's controllers would probably seem blocky. I mean, I probably hate the Intellivision and Colecovision controllers more than someone who started with those systems as I was used to a different controller from the beginning. I think the biggest problem with the comfort issue is probably whether you were 'stepping up' to the Jaguar's controllers (in my case) or 'stepping down' to them. It makes a world of difference - I noticed that the controllers just never felt quite the same after I got used to the Saturn and Dreamcast controllers... I'm just not used to the 'feel' anymore.

ah, almost forgot to mention - I happen to LOVE the keypad. I always liked the Touchpad for the 2600, so the thought of having all of those extra buttons so that I could instantly select something or change an option, etc was quite nice... :)

The only pain was when the game didn't come with an overlay (see: Theme Park) and you had to memorize all of the buttons... with that kind of control, it's a wonder how one of my friends EVER got hooked on that game when the only time he played it was on my Jaguar...

It's easy to call the Jag's controller the worst ever because the mainstream "i.e. retard" gamers all read EGM like it's the holy bible... EGM has always hated the Jag. So therefore, if anyone is writing an article about the "worst of" anything videogame related, they'll get kudoos for sure if the Jaguar is mentioned.... :roll:

My least favorite ones are the 7800 ProLine

1022813[/snapback]

See and this is where the reality kicks in that everything is objective. I LOVE the 7800 Proline, it fit my hand perfectly and I kicked some serious butt on my 800xl games with it :)

And as for the Jagpad, well I like it too. I think the worst sticks I ever used were on some old apple IIe systems my friend had.

I imagine if someone had 'newer' systems first, the Jaguar's controllers would probably seem blocky. I mean, I probably hate the Intellivision and Colecovision controllers more than someone who started with those systems as I was used to a different controller from the beginning. I think the biggest problem with the comfort issue is probably whether you were 'stepping up' to the Jaguar's controllers (in my case) or 'stepping down' to them. It makes a world of difference - I noticed that the controllers just never felt quite the same after I got used to the Saturn and Dreamcast controllers... I'm just not used to the 'feel' anymore.

Doesn't that just out and out prove it isn't a good controller? Controllers like the snes, genesis nes or even the tg-16 are easy to use and pretty comfortable (dogbone for the nes) no matter what system you started on.

I won one of those "Turbo Touch 360" pads for the NES. That thing is unplayable (which is why, I'm sure, they were giving them away.) Truly something that doesn't work would be worse than something that does?

As for the connectors being too "loose." I wondered about that myself. A friend speculated that it was done on purpose so that if you got up without thinking, or someone tripped over the cord, it would pop out instead of pulling the Jaguar around. I've never had mine come out in the middle of a game...

Yeah, I'd have to say these bozos who thinks it's "vogue" to bash the Jaguar have probably never even played it. The Jagpad is a comfortable controller. Much moreso than the Colecovision controller (missing from the list) or the much maligned 7800 controller. The Jaguar ProController is also a much improved version.

My least favorite ones are the 7800 ProLine

1022813[/snapback]

And as for the Jagpad, well I like it too. I think the worst sticks I ever used were on some old apple IIe systems my friend had.

1022913[/snapback]

Some of those old Apple II joysticks were nothing more than a hand made analog stick from an industrial microscope mounted in a spray painted radio-shack project box with radio shack buttons, and a ribbon cable connecting it to the main board. I think those were pretty cool. The early days of computing were a hoot.

This one is close to what I remember using:

tgjoy1-76.jpg

I also remember the apple II paddles were atari pong paddles with little radio shack buttons added to them.

I think the Jag Pad is about the only d-pad controller that I can stomach, except for maybe the dreamcast unit, but it has too many buttons.

Too many buttons like todays systems have can be too hard to learn for an old guy like me. At least the telephone keybad is familliar.

I think the best controller would be an Atari CX-40 with a second button just to the right of the first one. I hacked one like this for my NES using one of the NES buttons actuatingone of the infamous little red radio shack buttons.

Nothing beats an arcade stick, however. Game systems should come with arcade type sticks as the pack-in controller, In my opinion.

I found this looking for a pic of the apple stick.

Controller Article

Edited by Zonie

I just saw this article, and while I agree with the 5200 controller being pretty abysmal, I quite like the Jaguar controllers and was quite surprised to see them ranked as #1 Worst. Hell, the 5200 and 7800 controllers by Atari are quite easily worse, and even the venerable CX-40 has its problems. I think the Jaguar controller is quite comfortable for a D-Pad controller, and even the keypad buttons are fairly easy to get to when you need them.

Keep in mind this is the opinion of one individual who writes for IGN. Would be nice if they would stop stealing images from other websites to illustrate their articles (the images of the 5200 and Jaguar controllers were lifted from AtariAge).

..Al

Would be nice if they would stop stealing images from other websites to illustrate their articles (the images of the 5200 and Jaguar controllers were lifted from AtariAge).

1023633[/snapback]

Which emphasizes my point that they've probably never even played with the controllers they are bashing. :roll:

Rubbish. I have never had that problem with them falling out either. For me the Jagpads are my favourite pad ever (especially the pro pad :lust: ), yes even more than the Megadrive pads which rocked. For me it came down to one thing - it felt like I was holding a Lynx 2 (without the rubber grips) and I loved the way its big, strong and fitted my hans so well. The pad was also very responsive too which many arn't. The keypad for me was a stroke of genius especially for the strategy games like Theme Park and Baldies, its just a shame not every game had an overlay!

I should have kept reading posts because I posted about this in the 5200 forum thread about the controllers. In my opinion, there is no way the Jaguar controller should have been #1. I understand all the other choices and pretty much agree with them, but putting the Jag in there and then #1 seems unfounded.