IGNORED

Strange International Karate version... (pics!)

eobet

What do you mean by "not in Atari version?" I have World Karate Champ disk and it has more than 4 levels, it also has BOTH Australia and Egypt.

The Wikipedia entry says "allows you to compete in either Australia or Egypt". You can't choose the location in the Atari version.

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

1023550[/snapback]

Well, you can with that ADZM cheat (which is incorporated in the original version of World Karate Championship). Though in that version you can also fight in different locations.

Well, you can with that ADZM cheat (which is incorporated in the original version of World Karate Championship). Though in that version you can also fight in different locations.

Yep. OTOH, the tape version only has Sydney on side A and Mount Fuji on side B :)

--

Atari Frog

1023553[/snapback]

That's all? one screen on each side? No other backgrounds?

@ Anybody: So, how about a list of the different versions? From what I seem to understand now, there is the IK and WKC versions for the Atari, and then there is also tape and disk versions, and some versions have 2, 4 or more screens? I know my WKC has at least 8 levels.

international_karate_1.png

From this site:

http://ekranownia.atari8.info/galeria.php?lit=i

What the heck is going on here? I thought that IK wasn't released for the Atari?

And those graphics look absolutely wonderful... kinda like the Atari ST graphics! But then again, many games in that site's listing seem to have extremely good graphics for an Atari, and I've never heard of most of them, so I don't know what exactly that site lists. (For those who don't know, the Atari ST had an "official" port with completely revamped graphics no other system got.)

I guess it's against the forum rules to ask where to acquire this... ahem...

But just so you know how serious I am about wanting to learn more about this:

ik.jpg

:)

1023064[/snapback]

What?!? No ORIGINAL 8&16-bit versions in your collection? Where's your ST version? You gotta play either the Atari 8-bit or C64 versions to understand how good this game really is...no other versions compare IMHO. I've tried the ST&Amiga versions too, which in my opinion aren't as fun for some reason, maybe it's just a nostalgia thing as I never played the 16-bit versions 20 years ago, only in recent years. But I've tried none of the new remakes you have there. Probably never will, I'm satiisfied and prefer the 8-bit computer versions.

@ Anybody: So, how about a list of the different versions? From what I seem to understand now, there is the IK and WKC versions for the Atari, and then there is also tape and disk versions, and some versions have 2, 4 or more screens? I know my WKC has at least 8 levels.

International Karate (tape and disk), International Karate (beta release) and World Karate Championship. IIRC, there's also a cartridge sold by Video 61...

All the other "versions" are hacks...

--

Atari Frog

What?!? No ORIGINAL 8&16-bit versions in your collection? Where's your ST version? You gotta play either the Atari 8-bit or C64 versions to understand how good this game really is...no other  versions compare IMHO. I've tried the ST&Amiga versions too, which in my opinion aren't as fun for some reason, maybe it's just a nostalgia thing as I never played the 16-bit versions 20 years ago, only in recent years. But I've tried none of the new remakes you have there. Probably never will, I'm satiisfied and prefer the 8-bit computer versions.

1025038[/snapback]

As I mentioned in a post further down the page, I did play the C64 versions while visiting friends, and the ST versions I had were (ahem) pirated (though my collection of original boxed ST games is around 100 I think).

It's only recently that I've begun collecting certain games, but the trouble for me is that I'm sort of allergic to buying used products, and finding NIB games is rather difficult and costly (especially so since I remove the shrink wrap anyway so the value immediately drops). :)

Also, to be picky, the CD32 & Playstation versions are 100% perfect ports of the 16-bit IK+ :)

Edited by eobet

Just to clarify on the C64 version here (as I too own the System 3 disk release which has Atari on one side, C64 on the other), you can load two different games on the C64 disk. Both are identical but have a different set of four backdrops. Guess they couldn't squeeze all eight into the one load.

C64 version didn't hit the shelves until early 86 so I'm not sure where the reference in Wiki to 1985 comes from.

Well,

my original IK disk from System 3 had 7 screens (loaded good with ADZM cheat). My original IK tape from System 3 had 3 screens per tape side (A+B = total of 6 different screens) - one screen from the disk version was missing on that tape (don`t remember which one it was)... -Andreas Magenheimer.

O.K> - if you interested, I spoked yesterday with Pawel Rosowski, who still workink at his IK+ C64 to Atari Convertion Project. If you want - you can try last good working program. You can download it from his site: http://www.uce.pl/ikplus/downloads.html - he doing great job!!! Enjoy this project - I like it!!!

Edited by Sikor

Yes, because Pawel have not time to all-times working at this project, and he wants repair few bugs in his project before next update of this. He wants make too some more effects in game engine and when he finished thi - he update his web-site.

and archer wrote the atari version first as far as i know...

Yes, I believe it was previewed on the Atari first (in Computer & Video Games) but the game didn't have music or sound effects! I think it took a couple of months before Rob Hubbard converted the tune to the Atari so the C64 version probably hit the shelves first!

--

Atari Frog

1023109[/snapback]

That was the first copy I had of WKC. Still an excellent game even without sound; just add your own 'haiyaaaa' sounds.

Sold an original copy of IK (flippy disk with A8 and c64 versions on same disk) on ebay a couple of years ago.

why should wkc not have sound + music?

1029064[/snapback]

ehhh??? off course Atari version have music and sound at the same time. Only press T for Music and sound and press CTRL-T for Sound in game screen

Edited by Allas

I can imagine Rob Hubbard trying to programming one of his best music in a simple 8bit wide 4 channels POKEY, really he should take more time to finish.

I dont remember where, but I read Hubbard copy the IK music from a japanese song.

Edited by Allas