IGNORED

Thrust Plus High-Score Contest

/features/contests/ThrustPlus/index.htmlAtariAge is proud to announce a high-score contest for the recently unveiled Thrust Plus: Special Edition. The contest objective is simple: Who can get the highest Thrust score? The winner will receive a Thrust Plus: Special Edition package (serial #1), a special certificate, and free shipping anywhere in the world. There are also prizes for the second and third place winners, and those who have already reserved a copy of Thrust Plus can compete to win a lower serial number (numbers 4 through 10). Check out the Thrust Plus Contest Page for all the details. Good luck!

FIANALLY!! A contest those with no art talent (me) can participate in. I know I wont win.. but im basically playing Atari for prizes, does it get any better than this?

You should also add, for Thomas' sake.

* All entrys with Bologna in the screenshot will be discarded.

Well, rats. Entering the game late, I don't have a copy of this title. Just went to the Thrust site, and even though I'm disappointed I missed out on it, I'm very happy that this type of high quality product is being put out for the 2600 in the year 2002...just amazing...

Peace,

Chip

[ 05-26-2002: Message edited by: marillion ]

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Jentzsch:

BTW: If somebody should be able do roll the score, don't worry. The last digit modulo 5 shows the 100000 points.

0 = +0

1 = +100000

2 = +200000

Uhm... why didn't you just divide all scores by 10, if the last digit was normally unused anyway?

Greetings,

Manuel

quote:

Originally posted by Cybergoth:

Uhm... why didn't you just divide all scores by 10, if the last digit was normally unused anyway?

Because I wanted the scores as they are in the original C64 Thrust version. Works perfect up to 99990 points and then I had to cheat.

I played it a bit this morning. I thought I had a score like 47260 or something, you know, not very round, but when the game returned to the "Press fire to start" screen, the score was exactly 47000. I noticed that the score and the fuel seem to swap a little in play. Thomas, can you explain what's going on up there?

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Johnson:

I played it a bit this morning. I thought I had a score like 47260 or something, you know, not very round, but when the game returned to the "Press fire to start" screen, the score was exactly 47000.

Hm, I've just tested the scoring again, and I couldn't find any error.

Perhaps you had a score of 46250 and died while killing a gun? Then you would end with exactly 47000 points.

I noticed that the score and the fuel seem to swap a little in play. Thomas, can you explain what's going on up there?

Yes, the display swaps between score and fuel, but not the contents.

Are you 100% sure about your problems and could you repeat them? If yes, what emulator are you using?

epyx-500xj-joystick-small.jpgHi Thomas,

I may well have died in a way that earnt some points -- I was running out of time this morning and I was more concerned about finding my camera than watching the score in those last few seconds. I don't think that I lost points particularly, I just didn't think that I saw such a round number at the end.

I'm not using an emulator, I've got a Cuttle Cart. And a beautiful Epyx Joystick. (*Gloat*)

I doubt there's anything to re-create, if you're confident that there's no obvious problem with the score, I'm sure I just wasn't paying enough attention.

96800-krisjohn.gifThomas, I think I've noticed a difference between v 1.0 and v1.2 to do with the way the difficulty is set. on v1.0 it appears that level 1 is the easiest, while v1.2 matches the manual with level 5 the easiest. Is that correct? Should we all be using v1.2? I noticed because I was checking to see if the DCStella I burnt to CD a while ago had Thrust on it and it does, several versions. I got playing, but I ran out of time, so I paused it and took this shot. (Chose the wrong option straight after that shot and reset the game, dammit.)

quote:

Thomas, I think I've noticed a difference between v 1.0 and v1.2 to do with the way the difficulty is set. on v1.0 it appears that level 1 is the easiest, while v1.2 matches the manual with level 5 the easiest. Is that correct? Should we all be using v1.2?

Yup, the 1.0 version was only released at the Stella Mailing List for testing and is now floating around the web. There are still some bugs inside and parts missing, so scores before version 1.2 can and will NOT be accepted for the contest.

The 1.2 version is the final one. Just download it here at AtariAge.

BTW: Your colors look strange (the first planet should be red), did you try to adjust them using the right difficulty switch?

[ 05-31-2002: Message edited by: Thomas Jentzsch ]

quote:

BTW: Your colors look strange (the first planet should be red), did you try to adjust them using the right difficulty switch?

That's the first planet, but it's not the first level. By the time that shot had been taken I'd done the normal set plus the reverse gravity set and I was just starting again on the next difficulty level up (I think I started on Rookie, so that would be just starting Normal). Does that make any difference?

I'll try playing with the difficulty switch, but more likely the colour is wrong because it's being emulated on a Dreamcast and displayed via a VGA box.

Not that I'm likely to try playing it again with the DC, since I've only got standard controllers and those little directional pads suck.

Shame about the version. Cuttle Cart Underground only has v1.0, so I'll have to load the latest version onto my Rio. I had a really funky setup where I was using a Sega Saturn to play the CCU audio CD to load it into the CC. Spilt-screen on the TV and all.

I've also just noticed that the photo is supposed to include the score and me. I guess I'll have to dig up the tripod...

quote:

That's the first planet, but it's not the first level. By the time that shot had been taken I'd done the normal set plus the reverse gravity set and I was just starting again on the next difficulty level up (I think I started on Rookie, so that would be just starting Normal). Does that make any difference?

No the colors of the planet remain the same when difficulty increases.

They are red, green, turquoise, light blue, orange, magenta, dark turquoise and purple.

Thomas -

Is there any way for you to verify people are using version 1.2?

I fear this message is going to start something that will ruin this contest (kind-of like that label contest that was spoiled a short while ago), but if people can get away with using v1.0 won't the outcome be skewed somehow?

Steve

quote:

No problem here. When a game is over,
Thrust
goes back to the title screen after some seconds. There the version number is displayed.

I'll make a note on the contest page that people should make sure they are playing version 1.2, and to make sure when they take their picture that the version is clearly visible (along with their score, of course).

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

I'll make a note on the contest page that people should make sure they are playing version 1.2, and to make sure when they take their picture that the version is clearly visible (along with their score, of course).

If somebody gets his highscore by playing on a Hozer Thrust cart, those should be accepted too.

The version numbers of those carts are higher (starting at 1.3).

128950.jpg

quote:

BTW: If somebody should be able do roll the score, don't worry. The last digit modulo 5 shows the 100000 points.

0, 5 = +0

1, 6 = +100000

2, 7 = +200000

Second-last digit.

Tricky getting the right exposure with a digital camera to read the score and get a decent photo of a person. I had to dial the brightness way down on the TV...