IGNORED

NW-CGE was great!

Lord Thag

I went to my first convention, the North-West Classic Gaming Enthusiasts Convention up in Seattle last week, and I must say, it was much better than I expected. I had heard lots of snide remarks about 'jerk collectors' and 'high ebay' prices, and I'll tell you right now, that those rumours were totally unfounded. Quite the opposite in fact.

Not only did I get to meet a lot of the long time members of the forums in person (who all turned out to be really cool, friendly people), but I walked away with an absolutely INSANE pile of stuff (we're talking sealed Xenophobes and Motorodeos for $40, Sega Nomads for the same price, R7-R8 turbografx and saturn games for $5(!), and loose R7-8 2600 carts for $10 a pop) I walked away with 20 new Atari 2600 carts alone(no mean feat when you're pushing 500 carts). The show exclusive was a Matrix hack of the Ixion proto, which is really good.

To top it off, there were a ton of contests (I won three :cool: ), and I got to meet the guy who actually designed the Atari 2600, Joe Decuir. Nice guy.

Anyway, you should all try and make it next year if you can. There are really a lot of nice folks who put a lot of effort into the show, and the amount of product for sale *CHEAP* was simply staggering. My buddy (swlovinist) said that there was as much stuff for sale as there was at CGE.

Many thanks to Rick, Lee, Hans, Rob and the rest for doing such a great job this year.

Oh, and Rick Weis' 2600 collection must be seen to be believed. He was kind enough to invite me over to check it out. We're talking like THE ENTIRE 2600 LIBRARY boxed (minus 5 or so carts), atari store display kiosks, shirts, store mobiles, promos and all kinds of stuff I'd never even seen. Really amazing.

Don't miss it next year. You're crazy if you do.

I went to my first convention, the North-West Classic Gaming Enthusiasts Convention up in Seattle last week, and I must say, it was much better than I expected. I had heard lots of snide remarks about 'jerk collectors' and 'high ebay' prices, and I'll tell you right now, that those rumours were totally unfounded. Quite the opposite in fact.

Not only did I get to meet a lot of the long time members of the forums in person (who all turned out to be really cool, friendly people), but I walked away with an absolutely INSANE pile of stuff (we're talking sealed Xenophobes and Motorodeos for $40, Sega Nomads for the same price, R7-R8 turbografx and saturn games for $5(!), and loose R7-8 2600 carts for $10 a pop) I walked away with 20 new Atari 2600 carts alone(no mean feat when you're pushing 500 carts). The show exclusive was a Matrix hack of the Ixion proto, which is really good.

To top it off, there were a ton of contests (I won three  :cool: ), and I got to meet the guy who actually designed the Atari 2600, Joe Decuir. Nice guy.

Anyway, you should all try and make it next year if you can. There are really a lot of nice folks who put a lot of effort into the show, and the amount of product for sale *CHEAP* was simply staggering. My buddy (swlovinist) said that there was as much stuff for sale as there was at CGE.

Many thanks to Rick, Lee, Hans, Rob and the rest for doing such a great job this year.

Oh, and Rick Weis' 2600 collection must be seen to be believed. He was kind enough to invite me over to check it out. We're talking like THE ENTIRE 2600 LIBRARY boxed (minus 5 or so carts), atari store display kiosks, shirts, store mobiles, promos and all kinds of stuff I'd never even seen. Really amazing.

Don't miss it next year. You're crazy if you do.

1026838[/snapback]

Thanks for the kind words. I guess I never heard the negative remarks you mention in your first paragraph (maybe I'm one of them :? ). We have always been told that we typically sell stuff for much less than "normal" or going rates. So much so, that more than one vendor that attended (I won't mention names) bought stuff to re-sale. This happens to us at CGE when we attend as well. Not a problem.

I am really glad that you highlighted the key point of the annual NWCGE Expo. That is to have fun. Our motto this year was "You Were Happy Once; You Played With Your Friends; Be Happy Again". We really try to re-capture the feelings and nostalgia of playing these old games with the contests and the vendors we invite. Having Joe Decuir attend and launch the annual Annual Seattle Atari Championships with a keynote presentation on the Atari 2600 hardware design was icing on the cake. Joe indicated that he and his family had fun and will be back next year.

Details on the ATRIX can be found here NWCGE ATRIX

I believe there are a few left. Send the staff an email to order one. Once there gone... there will be no more made.

NWCGE will be at Sakura-Con later in March. Check the website for details. Or better yet, get on the NWCGE mail list. NorthWest Classic Games Enthusiasts

See you all next year.

-Lee

post-24-1141322171_thumb.jpg

post-24-1141322181_thumb.jpg

post-24-1141322192_thumb.jpg

I was there on Saturday and, yes it was a blast. I picked up Pitfall II, Solaris, and a keyboard controller for $5, and also got ATRIX, which is a nice hack and a fun game.

Also had a good time showing off a bunch of homebrews, selling a few of mine (and djmips'), and meeting different folks. I'll definitely make it next year!

Edited by vdub_bobby

Thanks for the kind words. I guess I never heard the negative remarks you mention in your first paragraph (maybe I'm one of them  :? ). We have always been told that we typically sell stuff for much less than "normal" or going rates. So much so, that more than one vendor that attended (I won't mention names) bought stuff to re-sale. This happens to us at CGE when we attend as well. Not a problem.

I wouldn't worry about it. I've heard the same comments about almost every convention. There seem to be one or two people out there with a permanent chip on their shoulders about all conventions. Maybe it's because they didn't find that magical box of sealed Quadruns for $1 at the first convention they went to or something?

I've always wanted to make it out to NWCGE but it's a little far out of my range. Maybe someday though. :)

Tempest

...any pictures???

minorleagueguy

1027071[/snapback]

Working on it... And a full report.

The NWCGE site will have some more up soon. Darn work gets in the way of our fun. :(

-Lee

1027128[/snapback]

Some pictures and a review of the championship are up on the NWCGE site now.

NorthWest Classic Games Enthusiasts

Look for the article on "The Road to the Championship"

More to come.

-Lee

My compliments to the NWCGE crew for hosting another great event at the Holiday Inn in Seattle. The event was bigger and better, with the highlights being the championship and a presentation by 2600 designer and programmer Joe Decuir! There was tons of stuff for sale at great prices. Everyone had a blast and I even won a prize (it just figures I had to leave the championship early and Chris, who took my spot, went on to win the whole contest!).

Once again, thanks a bunch and job well done guys. I look forward to next year!

Details on the ATRIX can be found here NWCGE ATRIX

I believe there are a few left. Send the staff an email to order one. Once there gone... there will be no more made.

would like to thank all who bought one of our atari 2600 ATRIX carts, helps support our NWCGE show. all have been sold (except for #1) details on that one will come soon. :cool:

also a BIG Thank you to everyone who came to our show, and the vendors and sponsors (Atariage being one of them, Thanks Albert!!)

i went to our show not really thinking i would find much that i needed, BOY, was i wrong!

http://community.webtv.net/AT2600COLLECTOR/NWCGEBOOTY

:lust: :lust: :lust:

hope to see you all there next year!

Rick