IGNORED

Elder Scrolls IV - Oblivion

Red 5

Well, I pulled a trifecta over the weekend. Closed my first Oblivion gate (Kvatch), which led me to the heir from the main quest, whom I spirited off to the relative safety of the northern mountains,

and then polished off the last guild reccommendation I needed to gain access to the university, wherein I enchanted all of my armor with feather (using greater souls) giving me another 200+ pounds of carrying capacity and making me incredibly fast as well. (The plan being to give myself the ability to carry much more stuff when I go adventuring so I can make more gold selling stuff)

I also got myself as close as two cloves of garlic away from a cure for my vampirism. And of course now I can't find garlic anywhere. Grr...

Life and times of Hieronymus Lex..

I completed the quest to get a transfer for Lex and I decided to follow him when he said that he was going to leave immediately. Turns out the dude started walking too anvil. You'd think they guy would be able to acquire a horse. I've been following him all the way and bringing him little presents in the form of monsters I find along the way. Just so he won't get bored on the way. :lol:

Shannon, I play the exact same way as you. I wanted to cast an open hard locks spell and kept casting my ease burden spell until I got my alteration skill up high enough. I just figured out that I should be picking up and repairing the enemies weapons and armor to build up my armorer skill.

I finished the Canvas quest, but I haven't gone back to kill the worm guy yet. But I've gone a little further on the main quest and Oblivion gates are opening up all over the place.

Oh and I finally broke down and killed Dorian to get a million gold :D When I killed him he had 240 gold that went down to 231 after the first time I pressed A, but I turned my 30,000 into 1,000,000 in about 15 minutes or so. Now I have 6 fully furnished houses (as you know interior decorating is very important for us ladies :) ) and I'm going to get the rest. That's the only reason I wanted a bunch of gold.

:rolling:

It takes a while before you're really rolling in the dough, so yeah if you want the houses early, that is the way to go.

One advantage to closing the oblivion gates is you get that magical stone that lets you enchant one of your weapons or armor. If you save the game before activating the stone you can reload if you don't like what you get.

I've gotten two so far (fire protection 30% and shock protection 25%).

I have a new member in my party now. It's a she-orc. Pretty tough character although she is capable of dying so I have to be careful what battles I let her participate in. Only glitch I ran into is in one dungeon both characters wanted to go two different ways at this one intersection. :lol: So I had to tell the orc to wait until I could clear out the other way and open the blocked rock door.

It's fun having people tag along though. I've had Viranus Donton for some time and picked up the orc recentally. They've got to help me out on Mage Guild and Thieves Guild quests. They even got to meet the Grey Fox!!! :lol: Viranus' got beat up so much his armour is broken so now he is running around naked. I have noticed, though, that he will pick up a sword and shield from dead enemies.

On a side note I noticed something that may not be real obvious in the beginning. But when you have more than one of a certain item the game does not change the weight field to reflect the TOTAL weight of the items. So it is easy to be overburdening yourself and not even realize it. That's why making potions knocks so much weight off of ya. I had like 146 weklynd stones from all my statue missions so I dropped off most of them at one of my newly purchased homes.

Edited by Shannon

I don't see any need to cheat for money in this game - I have all the houses fully furnished and over 300,000 gold - money is very easy in this game. Its just a matter of tomb raiding and using a big feather spell to bring as much loot out as possible to sell.

I'm just tring to complete every single quest before I finish the main game. Best quest so far is the one where you enter the painting. Most annoying quest was looking for those frozen tears.

Well, I finally cured my vampirism, thank Og. It's so much easier playing the game when I don't have to constantly worry about finding a hapless victim to feed from. I'm even headed into my third Oblivion gate, having closed the one at Bruma. Fun!

I've noticed that using an enchanted item to boost one of your magical attributes up into the next spellcasting category doesn't actually let you cast spells from that category -- i.e. if your natural abilities in Destruction are under 50, and you don an enchanted item that boost it over 50, you still can't cast spells that require a Destruction skill of 50 or higher. That sucks.

Keep meaning to ask this -- is there a shop anywhere in the bloody game where the proprietors carry more than 1200 gold on them at any given time? 'Cos I've been carrying around some somewhat high-dollar value items for some time because I can't find any place that'll buy them at anywhere near what they're worth.

Edited by Mindfield

You need master merchantile to get more from shops however there is also a fence with 1500 if you are advanced in the thieves guild.

I don't knoiw of any way to get more money from stuff you sell. Which begs the question, 'what is the point in a ring being worth 21000 gold?'

ho-hum

I have yet to use any cheats or glitches. Honestly, The cash is easy to get once you lvl up your strength and can carry off lots of goodies to pawn. I think I have around 150k-200k at any given time. I took a break for awhile after I got all the achievements....but here recently I've been logging hours at a time again... Truely one of the best games ever made.

I've noticed that merchants that have more money available to offer tend to offer less and they must have a high mercantile skill as well cause I usually have to set my haggle rate lower with them. Even when I have their disposition maxed at 100%

I have a bunch of goodies as well that I've been hesitant to sell as well in hopes of making more off of them. I suppose I can keep em around until I get desperate for money.

Meh. I'm Journeyman mercantile right now. Guess I gotta polish the silver tongue before I can hope to get some real cash. I haven't even gotten round to joining the thieves guild yet -- I've still got something like 12 active quests on my plate, to say nothing of all those I've yet to come across, so I'm far from being at a loss for something to do. :)

Plus, my sneak skill is still fairly low, so the thieving will have to wait.

Truely one of the best games ever made.

True dat. Now all they need to do is get it to play nice in an SLI setup and I'll be totally happy.

True dat. Now all they need to do is get it to play nice in an SLI setup and I'll be totally happy.

What problem does Oblivion have with SLI? I figure any game should work equally well in an SLI setup, no?

Depends on how the software utilizes the features of the various drivers (catalyst/forceware primarily). Generally speaking, if the software passes off all major features to the card via the methods the card expects then everything should go along just spiffy. If, however, the software goes and does its own thing that the card would otherwise be capable of taking on, you lose that performance benefit. I don't know what it is that Oblivion does (or doesn't) do to cripple that advantage, but whatever it is, playing in an SLI setup only gives it a 15-20% boost at most (where it should be closer to 30-40%). It's a shame too, 'cos if any game really needs to benefit from dual cards, it's this one. Doom 3, Quake 4, F.E.A.R. -- I can play 'em all maxed out. Not so Oblivion.

Bethesda keeps adding to the playable content available in Xbox Live Marketplace for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Now available is the Thieves Den, a "Goonies-style" adventure in a treacherous hive of villany.

Start a band of pirates and plunder away with your new pirate ship. Decorate your captain's chamber with furniture. As you upgrade your lair, new pirates will join your crew and provide you with income.

It's 150 points.

Depends on how the software utilizes the features of the various drivers (catalyst/forceware primarily). Generally speaking, if the software passes off all major features to the card via the methods the card expects then everything should go along just spiffy. If, however, the software goes and does its own thing that the card would otherwise be capable of taking on, you lose that performance benefit. I don't know what it is that Oblivion does (or doesn't) do to cripple that advantage, but whatever it is, playing in an SLI setup only gives it a 15-20% boost at most (where it should be closer to 30-40%). It's a shame too, 'cos if any game really needs to benefit from dual cards, it's this one. Doom 3, Quake 4, F.E.A.R. -- I can play 'em all maxed out. Not so Oblivion.

Gotcha, see how that makes sense. There's another reason I don't have a SLI/Crossfire rig - game specific profiling. Yuck, no thanks.

I'd say that Oblivion is pretty CPU bound as well, so I'd imagine that regardless of how much GPU power is available it's not going to be a linear increase in performance.

Gotcha, see how that makes sense. There's another reason I don't have a SLI/Crossfire rig - game specific profiling. Yuck, no thanks.

I'd say that Oblivion is pretty CPU bound as well, so I'd imagine that regardless of how much GPU power is available it's not going to be a linear increase in performance.

It's not really game-specific, it's more, as you pointed out, how CPU-bound the game has made itself, and it seems there are a few too many routines in Oblivion that are bound to the CPU instead of being offloaded to the GPU like they should have been. I'm pretty sure something to do with the grass feature is one of them, because that gives the single biggest performance hit. Granted, grass is pretty GPU hungry at the best of times, but it's worse in Oblivion. That could definitely have been improved. (In that regard, a lesson from Serious Sam 2 would have been in order)

• 2 weeks later...

Well almost 128 hours in and 41 levels and I think I've done run out of quests to do. The only 2 current quests I have left are the weekly ones (Arena and Dark Brotherhood) and I don't think you can finish those. I think I will hit all the towns one more time and make sure someone doesn't have a quest I missed. If I can't find any I will begin a reign of terror and try and wipe out everything....and anyone that moves!

Edited by moycon

Well almost 128 hours in and 41 levels and I think I've done run out of quests to do. The only 2 current quests I have left are the weekly ones (Arena and Dark Brotherhood) and I don't think you can finish those. I think I will hit all the towns one more time and make sure someone doesn't have a quest I missed. If I can't find any I will begin a reign of terror and try and wipe out everything....and anyone that moves!

LOL - welcome to the realm of Oblivion godhood :)

It's simply amazing that no matter how long Oblivion is, it's still too short. I can't wait until the next installment! :D

Yep I was thinking that myself. The updates are cool and all.... But lets face it, at this point we can breeze through them. I wonder if we'll see another Elder Scrolls on the 360??? This truely was one of the best games I ever played. Top 5 easy.

But not very long. Blew through it the day it was released - I couldn't stop! :D
I'm not expecting it to be long -- given the episodic nature of these "sequels" I figure all three of them together would probably work out to be long enough for one "real" expansion pack. (Taking a cue from the Stephen King book of story writing, are they?) Still, it was $20 and I've been waiting for some new HL2 content to plunge into. In a way it's sort of good that it's short -- I won't have to spend a whole lotta time away from Oblivion before I can go back to it.

This game is magnificent! Aside from a few frame rate stutters and the occasional obtuse quest (thank goodness for online FAQs!), Oblivion couldn't be much better. It's the kind of game that looks like it could take a hundred hours to complete... and a hundred years to make!

JR

P.S. Just one question, though... how come all the guys sound like Optimus Prime?

Edited by Jess Ragan

HL2 EP1 was great! :lust:

But not very long. Blew through it the day it was released - I couldn't stop! :D

Damn ... I didn't realize that by "not very long" you meant "What the hell do you mean it's over?" That was like, five hours, tops, and that was taking my sweet-ass timing sightseeing. I hope the next two episodes are longer, 'cos this was like reading the prologue of a much larger novel.

Oh well. At least I can get back to Oblivion now. :)

Edited by Mindfield