IGNORED

Removing epoxy blobs

It's time to resume my FB2 cart mod and survey the damage done last time. I pulled up a few solder pads so I'm going to be needing to solder in some jump wires that go from the "big thing" to the "little thing." The only problem is that the "little thing" is completely covered in epoxy. Anyone know of a good way to remove a bit so I can get access to the pins? And sorry for the crude description.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg,

You are going to have a very difficult time trying to accomplish that task. The "globs" are an industrial epoxy silicate. Its a very hard type of material and it bonds itself to the electronics contained within, if the silicate cracks it will then crack and damage the components underneath.

An acid bath to attempt to remove it will also end up damaging the components as well.

There is one method which has a possible chance to working, you rapidly heat and freeze the epoxy, this will have the occassional result of "popping" the epoxy off of the pcb without damaging the components underneath, but this method will most likely destroy several dozen boards before you are successful.

Curt

It's time to resume my FB2 cart mod and survey the damage done last time. I pulled up a few solder pads so I'm going to be needing to solder in some jump wires that go from the "big thing" to the "little thing." The only problem is that the "little thing" is completely covered in epoxy. Anyone know of a good way to remove a bit so I can get access to the pins? And sorry for the crude description.

Thanks,

Greg

1027443[/snapback]

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...