IGNORED

Good Luck Charlie Brown

mattkain

Hi Matt,

Simply post it to this message and/or PM Albert asking him to add the ROM to the Atariage Rarity Guide database where hundreds of binary files are also archived for free download. 

I like the sound of this. This is most likely the path that I'll take. Thanks to everyone for all the information and help so far.

Matt Kain

1029648[/snapback]

I've sent you a PM..

..Al

As Sku_u already said, Atarimania is another big source for binary files.

Click on Publisher and see for yourself:

http://www.atarimania.com/rech_advanced.ph...E=G&SUPPORT_ID=

It would be an honour to have this ROM in the collection.

8)

1029662[/snapback]

Is it ever. It's become my de facto go to site for information about any and all non-US releases.

While I can offer not one technical comment - this thread has made my well I would say year...

I have always "collected" Snoopy stuff as well as Garfield since I was a lil kid with my Dad. :)

This is not only an amazing find for a community and preserving history but also a game I would love to play totally!

Hopefully someone can help you mattkain, and thank you so much for coming foreward!

Edited by Chickybaby

As Sku_u already said, Atarimania is another big source for binary files.

Click on Publisher and see for yourself:

http://www.atarimania.com/rech_advanced.ph...E=G&SUPPORT_ID=

It would be an honour to have this ROM in the collection.

8)

1029662[/snapback]

I've definitely decided that I want to release the ROM through Atari Age as soon as it gets dumped. However, it looks like Atarimania is also a great site to hand the ROM off to as well. It sounds as if between these 2 sites the game will reach a fairly large audience. Rom Hunter, do you run Atarimania?

Matt

Edited by mattkain

I've definitely decided that I want to release the ROM through Atari Age as soon as it gets dumped.  However, it looks like Atarmania is also a great site to hand the ROM off to as well.  It sounds as if between these 2 sites the game will reach a fairly large audience.  Rom Hunter, do you run Atarimania?

No, Matt.

Atarimania is being developed by several members.

But I'm one of the administrators responsible for the 2600 section.

Your ROM will indeed reach a large audience if you donate it to both AtariAge and Atarimania.

These two Atari sites are the most popular at the moment.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Wow... this is very cool! This is one of those prototypes I figured would just remain locked away forever. Thanks for being so willing to share it with the rest of the community!

And for what it's worth, I don't think that someone could get away with selling cartridges of this game for very long, even if they tried to do so. Peanuts is still a fiercely protected intellectual property.

Edited by Nathan Strum

SO who is taking theroad trip to go help this nice fella dump the cart?

I'd guess it's already been worked out. Has it? If not, someone let us know. And as someone else said, Northern California is a pretty big place; narrowing it down a little might help to see if someone can make the trip. Hell, maybe you live in the same town as another member here...

Regardless, it's good to know that this will be released for free and not sold.

I'd guess it's already been worked out. Has it? If not, someone let us know.

No, it has not been worked out.

And as someone else said, Northern California is a pretty big place; narrowing it down a little might help to see if someone can make the trip. Hell, maybe you live in the same town as another member here...

I would prefer to set it up via PMs. So, if any members live in or around Northern California, please PM me. Thanks.

Matt Kain

I'd guess it's already been worked out. Has it? If not, someone let us know. And as someone else said, Northern California is a pretty big place; narrowing it down a little might help to see if someone can make the trip. Hell, maybe you live in the same town as another member here...

Hey Fred, would you trust your "poor man's dumper" with a one-of-kind prototype? You can see on the left where I live. If mattkain lives nearby, and batari's dumping technique is safe, I might be able to help.

Hey Fred, would you trust your "poor man's dumper" with a one-of-kind prototype? You can see on the left where I live. If mattkain lives nearby, and batari's dumping technique is safe, I might be able to help.

I offered to send my modded 7800, but he doesn't have a computer that can run the software. :(

I'd be willing to send it to you, if you have a Win98 laptop, you could drive to him and dump it.

Not unless modified.

There is some potential for damage since the cart needs to be hot-swapped. It *probably* would not damage it, but I wouldn't take the chance with something so valuable.

The cart dumper would be 100% safe if one built an adapter to plug both carts into a 2600 at the same time, and had a DPDT toggle switch connected between A12 on the cart port and A12 on each cart (as these go to the chip select lines.) But that's a lot of work.

From the pic, the EPROMs appear to be 2532's. Is this correct, or did I read them wrong? If 2532's, it will be harder to find an EPROM programmer that can read them.

I'd be willing to send it to you, if you have a Win98 laptop, you could drive to him and dump it.

Yeah, that's something that we should keep in mind. If we can get the proper hardware to *anyone* in my area, we should be able to get it done. Zack is definitely an option. He's about a 2 hour drive from me - I'd be willing to make the trip up to Sacramento.

Batari, I'm a little confused about what dumping methods aren't "safe." I don't want to take any risk with the cart. Could you clarify what the unsafe method that Zack mentioned entailed? Is it your opinion that dumping GLCB would NOT be as safe as dumping an ordinary cart? I'm not sure that I understand why... Before we jump the gun with shipping hardware or taking roadtrips, let's ensure that we have a method that will put the cart in as little danger as possible.

Thanks,

Matt Kain

Yeah, that's something that we should keep in mind. If we can get the proper hardware to *anyone* in my area, we should be able to get it done. Zack is definitely an option. He's about a 2 hour drive from me - I'd be willing to make the trip up to Sacramento.

Batari, I'm a little confused about what dumping methods aren't "safe." I don't want to take any risk with the cart. Could you clarify what the unsafe method that Zack mentioned entailed? Is it your opinion that dumping GLCB would NOT be as safe as dumping an ordinary cart? I'm not sure that I understand why... Before we jump the gun with shipping hardware or taking roadtrips, let's ensure that we have a method that will put the cart in as little danger as possible.

Thanks,

Matt Kain

There are at least three ways to dump the cart.

1. An EPROM programmer

2. A modified 7800

3. My "poor man's cart dumper"

1 and 2 are safe.

#3 was invented by me last summer. It requires only a 2600, a programmable cart and two wires. The programmable cart copies a short routine to 2600's RAM and spins in a loop while you remove the programmable cart and insert the cart to dump. Since this must be done while the power is on, there is a fairly remote possibility that something will go wrong and damage something. But the possibility still exists.

#3 could be made safe with some effort. But instead of expending that effort, I'd see if someone can do #1 or #2 for you instead.

I asked if the chips were 2532 because I have an EPROM programmer but it will not read 2532's.

Thanks,

Matt Kain

There are at least three ways to dump the cart.

1. An EPROM programmer

2. A modified 7800

3. My "poor man's cart dumper"

1 and 2 are safe.

#3 was invented by me last summer. It requires only a 2600, a programmable cart and two wires. The programmable cart copies a short routine to 2600's RAM and spins in a loop while you remove the programmable cart and insert the cart to dump. Since this must be done while the power is on, there is a fairly remote possibility that something will go wrong and damage something. But the possibility still exists.

#3 could be made safe with some effort. But instead of expending that effort, I'd see if someone can do #1 or #2 for you instead.

I asked if the chips were 2532 because I have an EPROM programmer but it will not read 2532's.

I think I understand - thanks for clarifying. Is there anything I can do to help determine if the EPROMS are 2532's? Pardon my ignorance, but I'm assuming that the two large chips with the orange stickers are the EPROMS. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Matt Kain

I think I understand - thanks for clarifying. Is there anything I can do to help determine if the EPROMS are 2532's? Pardon my ignorance, but I'm assuming that the two large chips with the orange stickers are the EPROMS. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Matt Kain

yes the 2 large chips withthe stickers. It says 2532 on them correct? I know CPUWIZ has a EPROM reader that will support them.

Edited by Shawn Sr.

I offered to send my modded 7800, but he doesn't have a computer that can run the software. :(

It takes Windows 98? I'm running XP. :( I could also borrow a Windows ME system from someone, if that would help.

I also have an EPROM dumper that will read these. They're pretty standard 4K EPROMs actually (at least for Atari protos). This would indicate the game is 8K which sounds about right.

I could send out my dumper with the dumping program. It connects through the parallel port and doesn't take a super computer to run (I know it works on 98).

Tempest

I could send out my dumper with the dumping program. It connects through the parallel port and doesn't take a super computer to run (I know it works on 98).

That might be a possibility. Do you want a dump of the Snoopy game too, Tempest? I think that if feasible, the modded 7800 should be our first choice, since with mattkain's permission we could also dump Snoopy without damaging the label.