IGNORED

Good Luck Charlie Brown

mattkain

I also have an EPROM dumper that will read these. They're pretty standard 4K EPROMs actually (at least for Atari protos). This would indicate the game is 8K which sounds about right.

I could send out my dumper with the dumping program. It connects through the parallel port and doesn't take a super computer to run (I know it works on 98).

Tempest

Would your EPROM dumper be able to be run on an XP machine? Would it be easier just to send it to me? I guess the only problem is I've never removed an EPROM from the chip (nor do I have the tools to do so) or hooked an EPROM dumper up - I would hate to make a mistake. Is it easy enough that I could do it on my own? The process doesn't sound very tough.

On the other hand... Zach, do have experience using an EPROM dumper? It sounds like you do. We could always get the dumper to Zach and then the two of us could meet up.

Thoughts?

Sorry everyone for all the hassle. We'll get this done eventually.

Matt Kain

Edited by mattkain

I offered to send my modded 7800, but he doesn't have a computer that can run the software. :(

I'd be willing to send it to you, if you have a Win98 laptop, you could drive to him and dump it.

It takes Windows 98? I'm running XP. :( I could also borrow a Windows ME system from someone, if that would help.

ME will work also, just Win2K and WinXP are problematic, because they take over the ports and lock them.

The 7800 method is the safest of them all, risking the extraction of the EPROM's could be problematic, if done by someone who does not do this on a daily basis. I do have an EPROM programmer that can read 2532's, but I am reluctant to send out a $300 piece of equipment, especially to someone who does not know what an EPROM is. No offense.

I offered to send my modded 7800, but he doesn't have a computer that can run the software. :(

I'd be willing to send it to you, if you have a Win98 laptop, you could drive to him and dump it.

It takes Windows 98? I'm running XP. :( I could also borrow a Windows ME system from someone, if that would help.

ME will work also, just Win2K and WinXP are problematic, because they take over the ports and lock them.

The 7800 method is the safest of them all, risking the extraction of the EPROM's could be problematic, if done by someone who does not do this on a daily basis. I do have an EPROM programmer that can read 2532's, but I am reluctant to send out a $300 piece of equipment, especially to someone who does not know what an EPROM is. No offense.

I agree. I think we should make sure that someone experienced removes the EPROM and handles the dump. This rules me out. Again, another option is to wait a couple months, and I'll probably be down in your area, CPUWIZ. This might be our best bet.

Matt Kain

Edited by mattkain

Let me summarize the two best current options:

1. We send the tools to dump the ROM to Zach (assuming he's experienced), and I head up to Sacramento to meet him.

2. We wait a couple months until I'm in CPUWIZ's neighborhood, and I let him dump the ROM.

Both seem workable.

Matt Kain

Let me summarize the two best current options:

1. We send the tools to dump the ROM to Zach (assuming he's experienced), and I head up to Sacramento to meet him.

2. We wait a couple months until I'm in CPUWIZ's neighborhood, and I let him dump the ROM.

Both seem workable.

Matt Kain

Either one is fine with me. Option 2 seems to be simpler.

Actually I've found that a modded 7800 works OK for dumping 2600 games. It's the larger 7800 games that usually time out under 2000/XP. It will time out on a 2600 game occasionally but it doesn't hurt anything, just have to do it again.

CPUWIZ, what version of the DevOS are you using? I've found version .2 to be rather more relaible than .1.

Come to think of it, isn't John Soper up in that area?

Mitch

The cart dumper would be 100% safe if one built an adapter to plug both carts into a 2600 at the same time, and had a DPDT toggle switch connected between A12 on the cart port and A12 on each cart (as these go to the chip select lines.) But that's a lot of work.

I suppose you could also use one of the multiple cart selectors that was made back in the day, assuming you don't have to turn off the console to change carts. If you are going to expend the effort to make the adapter, you might as well go all the way and make a multi-cart selector. :)

Tempest,

I was going to PM this to you, but I see no reason not to post it. I looked at your gameplay description for GLCB on AtariProtos.com, and it appears to be dead on. The only additional thing that I can remember is that every so often when Charlie's kite hits an obstacle, he'll flip over onto his head (I suppose a cute way of signifying that you lost a "life"). If I recall correctly, this doesn't happen every time, but seems to only occur sporadically (it might have been determined by which obstacle hit your kite, but I can't recall exactly). I also seem to remember that there's nothing built in that allows you to continue play or move on to your next "life" once your kite hits an obstacle. The game would simply freeze, and you had to hit reset to play again. Now if only we could find that leaf raking screen...

Matt Kain

• 4 weeks later...
Just out of curiousity, what was the final plan to getting this great proto dumped?

I am going to be sending my modified 7800 to him, just have not gotten around to it yet.

Yup. Once I get the modded 7800, I'm going to roll up to SF and try to have TheRedEye give me a hand with the dump. Keep the faith - sooner or later everyone will be able to take a hack at GLCB.

Matt Kain

I'd love to see reproductions made of this someday! We're big fans of Charlie Brown and Snoopy here in our household. Good wholesome family entertainment for the kids....

I'd like to see an unfinished proto get disassembled and then finished for a change before someone does a repro.

I'd love to see reproductions made of this someday! We're big fans of Charlie Brown and Snoopy here in our household. Good wholesome family entertainment for the kids....

I'd like to see an unfinished proto get disassembled and then finished for a change before someone does a repro.

I'd like to see an unfinished proto get dumped and then posted for a change so that someone can disassemble it.