IGNORED

Good Luck Charlie Brown

mattkain

Was it found at Seven Mile Fair (off of Seven Mile Road)?

That was the first indoor flea market that I thought of when you mentioned this in 1996.

-John

That's what I was thinking when I first heard this (my Aunt lives about 5 miles from there), but his description doesn't match the 7 mile fair.

Tempest

The screen capture isn't pixel-perfect, but it looks to me as though CB's nose projects slightly on the side facing the his direction of motion, or the kite when he's not moving.

Curious he has no eyes, though.

That, sir, is correct. It's a side view (at least of his head) - you can tell because the nose switches sides based on which way he moves. It's a little hard to tell in the video, but very obvious when watching the game on a TV. I still think the graphics on Charlie are incomplete. He at least needs eyes and maybe a mouth (although it wasn't uncommon in the original comic to see side views of Charlie with no mouth - see the above link). Again, look at how detailed the graphics are in Big Bird. It might be just speculation, but I'm convinced that the head was not finished.

MK

I think (and this is a guess because I don't have the proto in front of me) that it's the back of CB, but his head is somewhat turned sideways so as to give a pseudo 3D look to the game and so you could see which way CB was 'looking'.

Tempest

That was the first indoor flea market that I thought of when you mentioned this in 1996.

-John

No, it wasn't Seven Mile Fair. It was way too ghetto to even be mentioned in the same breath as SMF. This place was right in downtown Kenosha. It was just mixed in with all the other storefronts, very easy to miss since I don't recall much in the way of a sign, and it was in the upstairs of a building (making it even tougher to spot). This place literally looked like it was going to be condemned. There was next to no lighting inside and half the vendors appeared to be selling stolen goods. It was small for a "flea market" too - about twice the size of your average thrift store. In fact, even though it called itself such, it really wasn't much of a "flea market." It was more like a big vacant upstairs of an old office building that got rented out by some sketch ball so he and his buddies could unload stolen car stereos (and Atari protos). Anyway, I swear it was within a few blocks of either a Salvation Army or a St. Vinney's. I remember a few months after finding Charlie Brown I scored a motherload of 5200 games right down the street at the Salvation/St. Vincent. It was memorable since the 5200 lot was filled with treasures (Frogger II, Gyruss, Miner 2049er, Montezuma's Revenge, Pitfall 2, Stars Wars the Arcade Game, Beamrider, and tons more - it was my best 5200 loot ever). I couldn't believe the luck I had in that neighborhood. Oh, the memories. Whatever the case, the place must be gone by now.

MK

-John

No, it wasn't Seven Mile Fair. It was way too ghetto to even be mentioned in the same breath as SMF. This place was right in downtown Kenosha. It was just mixed in with all the other storefronts, very easy to miss since I don't recall much in the way of a sign, and it was in the upstairs of a building (making it even tougher to spot). This place literally looked like it was going to be condemned. There was next to no lighting inside and half the vendors appeared to be selling stolen goods. It was small for a "flea market" too - about twice the size of your average thrift store. In fact, even though it called itself such, it really wasn't much of a "flea market." It was more like a big vacant upstairs of an old office building that got rented out by some sketch ball so he and his buddies could unload stolen car stereos (and Atari protos). Anyway, I swear it was within a few blocks of either a Salvation Army or a St. Vinney's. I remember a few months after finding Charlie Brown I scored a motherload of 5200 games right down the street at the Salvation/St. Vincent. It was memorable since the 5200 lot was filled with treasures (Frogger II, Gyruss, Miner 2049er, Montezuma's Revenge, Pitfall 2, Stars Wars the Arcade Game, Beamrider, and tons more - it was my best 5200 loot ever). I couldn't believe the luck I had in that neighborhood. Oh, the memories. Whatever the case, the place must be gone by now.

MK

It's amazing that you were able to rescue this proto from that place. If you hadn't bought it it would most likely be lost forever by now.

Tempest

It's amazing that you were able to rescue this proto from that place. If you hadn't bought it it would most likely be lost forever by now.

It just makes you wonder how many other protos have suffered some sort of ignominious demise. :ponder:

That's the thing, you'll never know. Was SQ: Airworld sitting in a flea market down in Florida and thrown out when the dealer decided to go out of business? Was Zookeeper thrown out when the SA it was donated to decided not to take those junky looking 2600 carts? Who knows?

I've actually come across a few games that were lost forever when the programmer threw out their old stuff. Every time I hear something like that it just kills me.

Tempest

I've actually come across a few games that were lost forever when the programmer threw out their old stuff. Every time I hear something like that it just kills me.

Tempest

Which ones may I ask out of burning curiosity? ;)

Flesh Gordon (2600), Mark of the Mole (2600), Major Havoc (8-bit), Ninja Golf (8-bit), Tarzan (2600)

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Mark of the Mole *may* still be around, the programmer wasn't 100% sure he chucked it. Major Havoc wasn't very far along (just some playfield stuff) so it's no loss. Of course these games may still exist somewhere, but the programmers who developed them don't have their original copies anymore.

Tempest

Flesh Gordon (2600), Mark of the Mole (2600), Major Havoc (8-bit), Ninja Golf (8-bit), Tarzan (2600)

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Mark of the Mole *may* still be around, the programmer wasn't 100% sure he chucked it. Major Havoc wasn't very far along (just some playfield stuff) so it's no loss. Of course these games may still exist somewhere, but the programmers who developed them don't have their original copies anymore.

Tempest

I took a look in the rumor mill for these. I'm surprised how many games are actually in there. I wonder how many will ever surface out of those?

Mark of the Mole *may* still be around, the programmer wasn't 100% sure he chucked it.
Well, it did once exist:

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...ERSION_ID=19053

8)

Ahh so you did get some pics of that. I had bookmarked the site and meant to get back to it when I put up my page but the site was gone (and so were the pictures). Mind if I borrow that picture?

That copy is the second of two that are known to exist. Greg told me that he sent that copy out to the Residents to gauge their opinion on the game. The copy he had was much further along (about 75% when he stopped working on it), and that is the copy that is believed to be lost. I had e-mailed the person who put up that page about the proto but they never responded. :(

Tempest

We'll not know before the time when EPROM bit rot happens for sure.

How much of a problem is bit rot with EPROMs that are not exposed to daylight or fluorescent lighting? I would think most protos are probably kept in the dark.

Incidentally, it may be possible to read out a somewhat bit-rotted EPROM by using a reduced VDD and adjusting the read timing.

Edited by supercat

We'll not know before the time when EPROM bit rot happens for sure.

How much of a problem is bit rot with EPROMs that are not exposed to daylight or fluorescent lighting? I would think most protos are probably kept in the dark.

Incidentally, it may be possible to read out a somewhat bit-rotted EPROM by using a reduced VDD and adjusting the read timing.

I think the whole bit rot fear is a bit overblown. I've only seen one or two protos that suffered from bit rot in all my years of collecting. Disk rot (disks going bad) or HD failure is a much bigger problem when it comes to protos.

Tempest

Great video! I love the animation on the "Kite Eating Tree"! :lol:

I think that we are supposed to be seeing Charlie Brown from behind and at a slight angle. You can see his "single hair" popping out on top of his head. The "nose bump" may actually be his ear. Just my two cents.

Looking forwrd to this one!

I am curious to find out if there is another screen(s) written in the code. Hopefully we'll find out soon! :)

I doubt it. Usually if there was another screen it was accessible from the game itself (unless it was in a very early stage of development). However I have seen prototypes where you can switch screens using the console switches. For example the Snoopy prototype I owned has two screens implemented and are switched between using one of the difficulty switches. I think the reason for this is that they were in two seperate banks.

Tempest

• 2 weeks later...

I got the weirdest e-mail like a week ago from a guy named Tom and this is what he said...

"Wonder007-

I am aware that you are a top collector of prototypes for the 2600. In my possession I have a prototype cart that is labeled "Charlie Brown Kite," the label is black and says Atari Lab Loaner. I have not tested the game but once I do I will send you screenshots of the game. If you are interested please contact me, I would like to work out a deal with you.

Tom"

Well, I e-mailed him a day later and then he responsed that he is working on securing an Atari 2600. Then, I e-mailed him back and said that I would really be interested in getting this game but I need to see pics of the cart and screenshots. I am still waiting for a response.

Has anybody received such an e-mail from this guy, Tempest, Al, anybody????? I am not sure if this is legit but there have been other cases where something similar has happened and the protos have been legit. I hope this is not a scam but if it is not, wow, maybe this version is a more complete version that the one Matt Kain has.......

I'll keep you guys posted......I am hoping this is not a scam!!!!

Edited by Wonder007

I got the weirdest e-mail like a week ago from a guy named Tom and this is what he said...

"Wonder007-

I am aware that you are a top collector of prototypes for the 2600. In my possession I have a prototype cart that is labeled "Charlie Brown Kite," the label is black and says Atari Lab Loaner. I have not tested the game but once I do I will send you screenshots of the game. If you are interested please contact me, I would like to work out a deal with you.

Tom"

Well, I e-mailed him a day later and then he responsed that he is working on securing an Atari 2600. Then, I e-mailed him back and said that I would really be interested in getting this game but I need to see pics of the cart and screenshots. I am still waiting for a response.

Has anybody received such an e-mail from this guy, Tempest, Al, anybody????? I am not sure if this is legit but there have been other cases where something similar has happened and the protos have been legit. I hope this is not a scam but if it is not, wow, maybe this version is a more complete version that the one Matt Kain has.......

Get on Air America and pick it up in person :!:

I doubt it. Usually if there was another screen it was accessible from the game itself (unless it was in a very early stage of development). However I have seen prototypes where you can switch screens using the console switches. For example the Snoopy prototype I owned has two screens implemented and are switched between using one of the difficulty switches. I think the reason for this is that they were in two seperate banks.

Sometimes the WIPs I've worked with will skip earlier screens and start directly into later ones or allow console switches for 'jump-level' cheats. I would think the former would have been pretty common at places that used EPROMs for development (if I'm working on the code for screen 7, I want to start playing there rather than at screen 1). At places that used emulators or ROMulators for development, though, I would think that less likely since games would only be burned for EPROMs for demonstration purposes, when it would more likely be desirable to show all levels (thus the difficulty-switch cheats).

Of course, Tower Toppler 7800 got released with a difficulty-switch cheat in the production code.

"Wonder007-

Tom"

Sounds Nigerian!

"Wonder007-

Tom"

Sounds Nigerian!

That is what I was thinking although his grammar and spelling were pretty good. I don't know what to think but if I see something other than a recopy of Matt's stuff I am going for it. ;)

"Wonder007-

Tom"

Can't say I've ever heard of someone named Tom before (a last name might help). This could very well be legit, I've had people contact me out of the blue before with a previously unknown prototype (that's how Blaster, Risk, and Turbo surfaced). Odd that he went straight to you to try and sell it though. I hope this turns out to real. :)

Tempest