IGNORED

Shufflepuck Cafe

I just discovered this game published by the venerable Brøderbund after picking up a Mac Classic II. I was never aware of it when it was actually released, but it apparently made it to Amiga, DOS, and even the NES.

It's kind of like a mixture of air hockey and Pong -- like a more advanced version of Video Olympics. If you're a fan of either, you should check this game out (preferably the Amiga or Mac version.

Just thought I'd share this discovery. Definitely worth checking out.

I think I lost my Junior year of high school to this game. We did all our programming on Mac Classics (in Pascal!), and someone was passing around a copy of Shufflepuck. Great game...

BTW the Mac version is slightly different than all the other versions. The graphics are differenet (especially for the bartender robot).

Tempest

Anyone know where I can obtain the OS X binary of TuxPuck? One exists, but the TuxPuck page is out of order, and when trying to grab the file directly gets a 'forbidden" error. I tried to build from source but that's not happening.

The Linux machine is in the other room; I would rather have it on my main desktop.

• 4 weeks later...
Yep, SC and Risk were two of the three Mac games I remember from my first two years in college. The other was Crystal Quest. "Doing!"

My three Mac games on a good ol' SE were Shufflepuck Cafe, Risk, and Dark Castle. Also played while in college and grad school.

Back in the late '80s I was a gametester for Broderbund. One of the games I tested was "Shufflepuck Cafe". It was certainly an interesting and fast paced game. I did better on the DOS version because I could the analog sticks and whip them around similar to the motion you used when using a real...err...shuffle.

Oddly enough, I was never able to play though a complete game perfectly. There was one character that always managed to get one past me so I would end up with a score of 15-1. Everybody else I managed to blank on a regular basis.