IGNORED

Get this!

Zonie

So I buy a "working" 5200 4-port on ebay. I ask the seller, who stated the controllers are bad, if the console works. "yes" he replies. So I bid, win and it shows up about 10 days later in a crappy paper towel box with chunks of broken styrofoam and newspaper for packing.

Everything is intact, but the first thing I notice is that the power supply shipped with it is a 9VAC 8-bit unit. It is also dead. No output.

I get a proper working power supply and hook it all up. It doesn't have any video output.

I send the seller an email telling him it is not working. he replied it worked before it shipped, and was insured so file a claim with UPS. FILE A CLAIM WITH UPS?

I replied that I don't think UPS could cause the power supply to change to the wrong type.

I have not heard back, but I did some digging:

1. He doesn't give feedback until he gets it. Isn't it customary for the seller to give feedback as soon as the buyer pays, then the buyer give it when the item arrives and is ok or has a dispute?

2. If he gets negative feedback, he reciprocates with negative feedback, even with buyers who paid immediately after close of auction.

3. One buyer even stated that he shipped wht wrong item, and then got neg feedback for asking about it.

4. He even stated that people who complain are the bain of ebay, and always responds to negative feedback with some snyde comment.

I'm waiting for his answer. I hate to patronize him with undue positive feedback, but I have ZERO negative feedback, and I'm sure he will retaliate.

All I wanted was a working 4-port with no or bad controllers. I didn't even get that. I got a box of crap and a seller that is likely to mess up my feedback rating.

It's no big deal, as I can respond, and it's only one, but this guy is taking advantage.

I hope we can come to an agreement. Maybe he sends another unit if he has one, or refunds my purchase cost and I keep what I have since shipping back would cost him about the same.

stay tuned...

1.  He doesn't give feedback until he gets it.  Isn't it customary for the seller to give feedback as soon as the buyer pays, then the buyer give it when the item arrives and is ok or has a dispute?

It used to be customary because it's common courtesy. Unfortunately, a lot of ebay sellers have gotten on a high horse and dont do the right thing. Even more unfortunate, a seller that doesnt give feedback after getting thier MONEY is a sure sign of a seller who is up to something, but you dont know that until after you've paid and get no "thank you" for the business.

2.  If he gets negative feedback, he reciprocates with negative feedback, even with buyers who paid immediately after close of auction.

Yep. See above.

3. One buyer even stated that he shipped wht wrong item, and then got neg feedback for asking about it.

Did you know this before you bid? Any seller that gives retaliaroty negs is a piece of shit and should be avoided.

4.  He even stated that people who complain are the bain of ebay, and always responds to negative feedback with some snyde comment.

Yep. Sorry to say...you should have avoided him altogether.

4.  He even stated that people who complain are the bain of ebay, and always responds to negative feedback with some snyde comment.

There is what a friend of mine calls something like "eBay sniping"...or maybe it was "feedback sniping"...which involves leaving a negative feedback to the seller at the very last possible minute, before this option is no longer available. I don't remember if you have 60, 90, ??? days to leave feedback for a transaction but, for example, if it's 60 days, and the auction ended on March 1st at noon, then you would post your negative feedback at 11:59 AM on April 30th. Most likely, the seller wouldn't be prepared for such a tactic and respond with their own negative feedback.

There are probably some real-world legal action options you could use, too.

There isn't much you can do. eBay is a gamble. Especially on items like this. I imagine the 5200 is very attractive for this kind of thing, too... as it consistently fetches more than the other Atari consoles.

I have *never* that I can recall had a seller leave me feedback as quick as I paid. There probably were cases where this happened on my first few bids, years ago... but it is pretty much a given that the seller is going to wait until I leave a positive feedback to respond in kind. I agree that the "right" thing to do is leave a positive the minute I carry out *my* end of the agreement (which is *paying*). But they just don't do that.

Man, reading about this kind of stuff just makes me glad I rarely deal with eBay anymore.

Back when I was doing more eBay-ing (around 2003), I tried to be a VERY responsible seller. I ALWAYS left positive feedback for buyers as soon as I received their payment. I only have 1 negative tarnishing my feedback rating, left by a snarky seller who misrepresented the product and took 6 weeks to ship it. Why did she give ME a negative? Because I dared to give her a NEUTRAL. :roll: :mad:

Sounds exactly like a guy I dealt with about some 5200 stuff as well. From his very first email he was snooty. And it just got worse from there his name was zathras_eleven even people who left him positive feedback would get negative feedback from him. For no reaso.

I didn't read his FB before. He had like 5 or 6 negs in several thousand, and is a big seller, so I figured that was pretty good.

If I'd read his replies, I may have avoided it.

I didn't pay a lot. I just hoped he'd do the right thing. If he doesn't respond in a few more days, I'll post the link for the item. I don't want to piss him off, but it is doubtful that he frequents this forum.

I may look in to the late feeback thing. Thanks!

Update.

He offered to send me the correct power supply, but said That I should claim the dead console was UPS fault. I guess the paper towel box and chunks of stryofoam and newspaper are UPS fault too.

Well, if that's the best he is willing to do, he gets neutral feedback for lying to me before I bid, then figured he can get ups to pay for the console. What a crook. Talk about bad carma.

I hope this guy doesn't expect me to send the wrong power supply back. It's gonna be on his dime if he does. It's dead anyway.

His name is Billy Galaxy. the auction # was: 8261995237

He has mostly overpriced stuff, like $15 5200 commons.

I'll avoid him in the future.

1. He doesn't give feedback until he gets it. Isn't it customary for the seller to give feedback as soon as the buyer pays, then the buyer give it when the item arrives and is ok or has a dispute?

I do the same thing too. I don't leave feedback for anyone until they get the item I sold them, I tell them to leave me feedback to let me know they have recieved the item and are satisfied. That way I don't have anything to worry about i.e. someone neging me for any reason without first contacting me with any problem they might have.

Update.

He offered to send me the correct power supply, but said That I should claim the dead console was UPS fault. I guess the paper towel box and chunks of stryofoam and newspaper are UPS fault too.

Well, if that's the best he is willing to do, he gets neutral feedback for lying to me before I bid, then figured he can get ups to pay for the console. What a crook. Talk about bad carma.

I hope this guy doesn't expect me to send the wrong power supply back. It's gonna be on his dime if he does. It's dead anyway.

His name is Billy Galaxy. the auction # was: 8261995237

He has mostly overpriced stuff, like $15 5200 commons.

I'll avoid him in the future.

Leave him a negative or don't leave him any feedback at all. If you leave him a neutral, he'll leave you a retalatory negative. BTW, the PS in the picture is not for a 5200.

Here's the direct auction link for those too lazy to do an advanced search:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=8261995237

I was looking threw his feedback and a few Atari age members have got stuff from him. I have looked threw his stuff for sale many times for the most part it was to high or AS is. So you did not get what was in the picture? Was it the same system as far as you can tell? I know you might not want to spend alot but I have a nice 5200 with good controllers for sale on my site and if there was any problem i would take care of it right away. I would love to sell stuff "AS IS" but I would be out of business quick selling junk.

Something about them 5200's the last 2 Ive bought from ebay have been shipping nightmares.

1.sent me controllers and power brick,neglected to send the 5200 though until I contacted him.He mixed me up with another guy who asked him about just bin the items he sent me,in the mean time I had hit his bin on the works. So he just assumed I was him.In the end it all worked out I received the 5200,and what I was really after!

5200 competition stick

2.It arrived in a big ol beat to crap box with a hole punched through it, loose with no packing materials what so ever.To top it off the power brick destroyed the console with it bouncing around on top of it.With all that he had charged me $20 for shipping and only spent $10 to send it.He thought it wasnt his fault at all because he had shipped plenty of systems and what not and oh'boy that had never happened before' tried to say I neglected to buy insurance(like that would of done any good).A couple days later he found the errors of his way and refunded me a good portian of the shipping cost!

In the end I was satisfied on the outcome!

Interestingly enough my Atari 7800 came in a box that was beat to hell, with insufficient packing and although the auction said, "Bid in confidence that you'll get exactly what you see here" and said that it was a tested and working 7800... one of the sticks doesn't move to the left, the power brick rattles, one of the prongs was bent, and the other stick has electrical tape on the cord half way down.

Oh... and there was a two week delay from the close of bid until the girl actually shipped. Now, once I inquired, she did send the next day priority post so it arrived only 2 days later...

I've left her a message wanting to talk about my concerns, but she hasn't responded.

I'll see how it works out and then post some links so everyone knows who to stay away from. :)

Interestingly enough my Atari 7800 came in a box that was beat to hell, with insufficient packing and although the auction said, "Bid in confidence that you'll get exactly what you see here" and said that it was a tested and working 7800... one of the sticks doesn't move to the left, the power brick rattles, one of the prongs was bent, and the other stick has electrical tape on the cord half way down.

Oh... and there was a two week delay from the close of bid until the girl actually shipped. Now, once I inquired, she did send the next day priority post so it arrived only 2 days later...

I've left her a message wanting to talk about my concerns, but she hasn't responded.

I'll see how it works out and then post some links so everyone knows who to stay away from. :)

If you leave appropriate feedback that would be warning enough. Too many buyers dont leave negative or neutral feedback because of the bullshit that sellers pull with the "I'll feedback you when you feedback me" stunt. And the seller has about zero incentive to be truthful when nobody leaves appropriate feedback. Its sad, the odds of getting an unwarranted neg from a buyer are astronomical, yet if a seller screws you over, they have the feedback system in thier favor to not even give you the courtesy of a reach-around. :roll:

I was looking threw his feedback and a few Atari age members have got stuff from him. I have looked threw his stuff for sale many times for the most part it was to high or AS is. So you did not get what was in the picture? Was it the same system as far as you can tell? I know you might not want to spend alot but I have a nice 5200 with good controllers for sale on my site and if there was any problem i would take care of it right away. I would love to sell stuff "AS IS" but I would be out of business quick selling junk.

He said the controllers were broken, hence the as-is. I emailed hima d asked if the console worked. He replied yes. That is all I really needed, but the broken controllers were actually in really good shape and just need some repair.

Had he said the console didn't work or was not tested, I'd have passed it up.

From what I have read about him, this is a normal ourse of business. His replies to feedback are childish,

I do the same thing too. I don't leave feedback for anyone until they get the item I sold them, I tell them to leave me feedback to let me know they have recieved the item and are satisfied. That way I don't have anything to worry about i.e. someone neging me for any reason without first contacting me with any problem they might have.

I don't agree with your feedback method. It should be the responsibility of the seller to feedback about buyer payment, as that's about all you can honestly rate a buyer on. Whether he paid you promptly or not.

the buyer should give feedback relating to the condition and or if he received the item as advertised, and if it was packed peoperly. The fb system pretty much sucks and is open to unfair practices like retaliation. people don't often read the needback of a neg feedback author.

Ebay is a marketplace. the Seller is selling a product, and has a responsibility to the buyer to be honest and not take someone's money without return of a good product. The buyer is the person giving up the cash, they should be respected just like a person walking into a store.

Unfortunately, ebay favors the seller. I see that a lot of ebay sellers bitch and complain about buyers. One of Billy Galaxy's posts even stated that he hated his job because of "buyers like this" A buyer is usually only pissed if he didn't get what he paid for. It's that simple. If the buyers go away due to bad sellers, then ebay goes away and we can start finding our stuff in the thrifts again!!!

I don't agree with your feedback method. It should be the responsibility of the seller to feedback about buyer payment, as that's about all you can honestly rate a buyer on. Whether he paid you promptly or not.

the buyer should give feedback relating to the condition and or if he received the item as advertised, and if it was packed peoperly. The fb system pretty much sucks and is open to unfair practices like retaliation. people don't often read the needback of a neg feedback author.

Ebay is a marketplace. the Seller is selling a product, and has a responsibility to the buyer to be honest and not take someone's money without return of a good product. The buyer is the person giving up the cash, they should be respected just like a person walking into a store.

Unfortunately, ebay favors the seller. I see that a lot of ebay sellers bitch and complain about buyers. One of Billy Galaxy's posts even stated that he hated his job because of "buyers like this" A buyer is usually only pissed if he didn't get what he paid for. It's that simple. If the buyers go away due to bad sellers, then ebay goes away and we can start finding our stuff in the thrifts again!!!

I agee with you Zonie. As an eBay seller myself, I ALWAYS leave feedback whenever the buyer has paid. I have yet to get a Negative Feedback on anything I have sold, and I hope it remains that way. It is the responsibility of the seller to make sure that what he/she is selling, that it is what is described in the auction, and to make sure the item is packed properly to be shipped. True customer service is to make sure your customer is satisfied, and that means going the extra mile for them. To me, what Wester is implying, is that if the buyer is really unhappy, and negs or leaves a neutral, my guess is taht Wester would leave the same back. What Wester is missing here, is that he has already recieved his end of the deal, but the buyer hasn't, so its okay to leave bad feedback to the buyer if the buyer leaves bad feedback. That isn't right.

Did you pay for your item by Paypal Zonie? If so, start a case investigation with them. That might help you recoup some of your money, and you won't have to go through the "Feedback Shuffle" in the process.

I tend to think that the seller has the upper hand when it comes to feedback. Even if you pay instantly and get an unsatisfactory product, you're at the mercy of the seller and that shiny red negative feedback button.

It's easy to advise people, "Be sure to check past feedback on this seller," but it's all too easy to fall prey to an impulse purchase, especially when you've found something you desperately want and can pay for it with the simple click of a button. Ebay is a harsh mistress, but if you're a game collector, she's also an extremely alluring one.

JR

Paypal's buyer\seller protection is about as effective as having a lock on your front door. Just a false sense of security is all it is. I say they only recover your funds about 40 percent of the time at best.

Not true. I have been involved in three different cases, two of which I got my money back, and one where the seller got his money back because he wouldn't respond to my emails. :S

PayPal almost always sides with the party sending the money.