IGNORED

Sealed in Bag drives me nuts

ntavio

" NOTE: Each bid is for one copy of this game. Picture is a general representation of game, but the actual cartridge purchased may not be in the picture "

:?:

This isn't an individual auctioning a single copy. It's an on-line store, where numerous copies of identical products are in stock for sale.

To that end, if you buy anything from any store, you are never buying that specificly particular unit seen in any pictures, you're buying a different physcial unit of identical merchandice.

What I find sad is that it's even neccessary to have to make such a disclamer. I've even see simmilar disclaimers in the small-print of news paper flyers and junk too. I mean, really, was there someone on the face of this planet that took a flyer into a store and demanded to have THAT particular unit of product that was in the picture. "I don't want ANY Cannon BJC-250 printer, I want THAT ONE, the one in the picture". :roll:

What I find sad is that it's even neccessary to have to make such a disclamer. I've even see simmilar disclaimers in the small-print of news paper flyers and junk too. I mean, really, was there someone on the face of this planet that took a flyer into a store and demanded to have THAT particular unit of product that was in the picture. "I don't want ANY Cannon BJC-250 printer, I want THAT ONE, the one in the picture". :roll:

Not with a printer, but I have rolled into Best Buy before when I noticed that they put the wrong pic of a DVD - for example, a special or limited edition - in a sale where it normally wouldn't belong (or more properly, where the regular edition belongs), and because of the goof - and lack of the sort of disclaimer you mention - the store has to sell me the wrong DVD at the right price (if you know what I mean).

Not with a printer, but I have rolled into Best Buy before when I noticed that they put the wrong pic of a DVD - for example, a special or limited edition - in a sale where it normally wouldn't belong (or more properly, where the regular edition belongs), and because of the goof - and lack of the sort of disclaimer you mention - the store has to sell me the wrong DVD at the right price (if you know what I mean).

Interesting story, but really nothing like what I'm saying.

Lets say this, if Walmart has 1 million cans of Del Monte cut green beans, do they need to take 1 million seperate pictures and individualy list all 1 millions cans in their ad? Considering they are all 100% identical, that's pretty pointless. So they take only 1 picture, which serves as a representation of the other 999,999 identical looking cans of the same product. Obvsiously they are assuming that most people will understand that concept and know that when they go to the store, they will find cans of Del Monte cut green beans, exactly as pictured, but won't beable to buy that specific can that the photo was take of. That can is probably still sitting on a shelf of the ad studio. Or lets say you saw a Target ad for an Xbox, and the photo was so good you could make out the unit's serial number. Would you actually expect to beable to go in your local Target and buy that specific xbox with that specific serial number.

That's the scenario that I'm refering to. Which is exactly the scenario this ebay store is disclaiming. That's :sad: .

Lets say this, if Walmart has 1 million cans of Del Monte cut green beans, do they need to take 1 million seperate pictures and individualy list all 1 millions cans in their ad? Considering they are all 100% identical, that's pretty pointless. So they take only 1 picture, which serves as a representation of the other 999,999 identical looking cans of the same product. Obvsiously they are assuming that most people will understand that concept and know that when they go to the store, they will find cans of Del Monte cut green beans, exactly as pictured, but won't beable to buy that specific can that the photo was take of. That can is probably still sitting on a shelf of the ad studio. Or lets say you saw a Target ad for an Xbox, and the photo was so good you could make out the unit's serial number. Would you actually expect to beable to go in your local Target and buy that specific xbox with that specific serial number.

That's the scenario that I'm refering to. Which is exactly the scenario this ebay store is disclaiming. That's :sad: .

Although I have not bid on any of these auctions, If I look at the pics and see the cart..it states the lable is in good/mint. If I look at a mint lable on the auction and sent a lable that was only "good" depending on the situation..as far as the game in question, that could be an issue for some collectors. As someone see's one thing..and possible sent another.

Although I have not bid on any of these auctions, If I look at the pics and see the cart..it states the lable is in good/mint. If I look at a mint lable on the auction and sent a lable that was only "good" depending on the situation..as far as the game in question, that could be an issue for some collectors. As someone see's one thing..and possible sent another.

True for a typical auction. But again, this particular case is not an auction, this is an ebay store, which functions like any other store. You're not bidding on a specific unit of product, you are just buying at a fixed priced a unit of product from a stock pile. Look at it this way, when you take your Xbox tag to the register, you get the one the guy brings out, you're not getting back there to rummage through the pallet to pick that one particular unit that is 2 boxes in on the left side of the 3rd layer.

True for a typical auction. But again, this particular case is not an auction, this is an ebay store, which functions like any other store. You're not bidding on a specific unit of product, you are just buying at a fixed priced a unit of product from a stock pile. Look at it this way, when you take your Xbox tag to the register, you get the one the guy brings out, you're not getting back there to rummage through the pallet to pick that one particular unit that is 2 boxes in on the left side of the 3rd layer.

However if I am paying for an item I see on the shelf..that looks mint. I would expect the same mint item from the back..not a " good " one. I have told Circuit City "no" before due to the box being beat up..so if I saw a mint lable..and thats what I bought..that is what I would expect..too much of a chance if it was an expensive game

just my opinion..thats all

However if I am paying for an item I see on the shelf..that looks mint. I would expect the same mint item from the back..not a " good " one. I have told Circuit City "no" before due to the box being beat up..so if I saw a mint lable..and thats what I bought..that is what I would expect..too much of a chance if it was an expensive game

I didn't mean to come off as if I was trying to be argumentative or belittle your thoughts. Sorry that it kinda came out like that. :sad:

Your example with the beat up box is good. That does happen. Can never be sure if it's because maybe they don't have any more or because they are holding good ones for pre-orders (or maybe themselves). Personally, I'm not one that really cares about boxes and have no collective interest in them per say, but yeah, if I was buying something I'd want the un crushed mint condition one too. Not the one that fell off the truck during unloading into a muddy puddle then got stepped on as the guy jumped down to throw it back up and missed and hit the truck and it fell back down from an even greater height back into the mud again.

The ole Bait & Switch routine. If even some of the biggest legitimate retail stores are guilty of it, there is no reason to not expect that a lesser private small scale ebay store could try to pull it too. Besides, it's still ebay! ;)

Your concern is exactly why I don't like doing any form of on-line/mail order for certain things if I can avoid it. Like if I'm buying a game, I'll go to the store and physically touch the unit I'm getting as I don't want to get a generic insert less cd case holding a (seemingly) original disc and photocopy of the instructions in a ziplock bag in the mail. Sadly, I've gotten stuff exactly like that, from real legitimate long standing mail-order/on-line stores in the past. :|

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't mean to come off as if I was trying to be argumentative or belittle your thoughts. Sorry that it kinda came out like that. :sad:

Your example with the beat up box is good. That does happen. Can never be sure if it's because maybe they don't have any more or because they are holding good ones for pre-orders (or maybe themselves). Personally, I'm not one that really cares about boxes and have no collective interest in them per say, but yeah, if I was buying something I'd want the un crushed mint condition one too. Not the one that fell off the truck during unloading into a muddy puddle then got stepped on as the guy jumped down to throw it back up and missed and hit the truck and it fell back down from an even greater height back into the mud again.

The ole Bait & Switch routine. If even some of the biggest legitimate retail stores are guilty of it, there is no reason to not expect that a lesser private small scale ebay store could try to pull it too. Besides, it's still ebay! ;)

Your concern is exactly why I don't like doing any form of on-line/mail order for certain things if I can avoid it. Like if I'm buying a game, I'll go to the store and physically touch the unit I'm getting as I don't want to get a generic insert less cd case holding a (seemingly) original disc and photocopy of the instructions in a ziplock bag in the mail. Sadly, I've gotten stuff exactly like that, from real legitimate long standing mail-order/on-line stores in the past. :|

Haha, it's great to see some threads about my auctions. Yes its me, TheNerb. This is the only game in my store where the picture may not represent what you buy. I have always been against that philosphy too. I think that I will go ahead and cancel that listing as you guys are definately right. I do seal all my games in bags so that anyone who buys them can keep them protected from dust/moisture. They even have a silica desiccant in the bag too! :) To answer one of the other comments, I do often get a bit above market for my games as I truly take pride in what I do and thoroughly clean and test all games (the case, labels, and contacts).

Anyway, I do offer 15% off to ANY AtariAge member on ANYTHING in my store (http://www.thenerb.com) . Just mention discount code "age15" in your checkout comments and I'll take 15% off (excludes shipping).

Thanks, you guys and this site truly rocks!

- Brent

Dude, it's just a ziplock bag!

"Sealed" is meaningless if it:

A) can easily be opened and re-sealed without evidence of tampering, OR

B) was not packaged that way as delivered by the original maker

So please don't insult our intelligence by making such a ridiculous claim. Some people do collect factory-sealed games, so jerking them around like this (getting more search hits by keyword spamming, an eBay policy violation) will not win you any respect here. Call them "bagged for protection" or something like that if you want your baggies to be a selling point.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Dude, it's just a ziplock bag!

"Sealed" is meaningless if it:

A) can easily be opened and re-sealed without evidence of tampering, OR

B) was not packaged that way as delivered by the original maker

So please don't insult our intelligence by making such a ridiculous claim. Some people do collect factory-sealed games, so jerking them around like this (getting more search hits by keyword spamming, an eBay policy violation) will not win you any respect here. Call them "bagged for protection" or something like that if you want your baggies to be a selling point.

It also has a silica gel bag inside to keep the moisture out. :P

This is how I keep all my games (loose or boxed) as it helps protect them. I recommend storing them in this manner to any collectors out there.

I don't get what the big problem is with what thenerb is doing. He's not misleading anyone into thinking they are getting a new game and if someone's willing to pay a little more for a game in a plastic bag, good for him for finding a way to squeeze a little extra cash out of a sale.

I don't get what the big problem is with what thenerb is doing. He's not misleading anyone into thinking they are getting a new game and if someone's willing to pay a little more for a game in a plastic bag, good for him for finding a way to squeeze a little extra cash out of a sale.

Only thing that gets me pissy at all about it is when I think I have found in my search a "new" game and its just this guy and his "bagged" games. I get excited for a sweet bin of a game I'm after CIB or NIB and it turns out to be SIB. Just a pian in the ass when your trying to focus your search and this guys stuff comes up.

Why bother using the word sealed in a search; I've never searched for anything using that as a search term. People actually look for things that have the word sealed in the title :?

Yes, we do.

Multiple personalities? :ponder: