IGNORED

Robert M's Blog - Thoughts on "Doom"

RSS Bot

I played Doom for the first time this weekend. I know, I know, where the hel have I been. I have played many FPS games, but I was so busy at college when Doom came out I missed it. I rememeber people mentioning it and talking about how awesome it was, but I never played it.

I must say now that I have played it, I am very impressed. The game plays very well. Control is smooth and responsive. The level designs are exquisite considering the limitations of the game engine. Unlike a modern FPS no 2 areas of a DOOM map can overlap, so there are no over and under design options. Despite this, I found all the levels to be laid out with great attention to what makes a FPS game fun. Lots of places to shoot at enemies with cover. Lots of secrets to root out. It was all very enjoyable. Truly Doom was a banner game that spawned a lasting genre. Many modern FPSs are not as good as Doom, IMO.

Looking at the engine, I can't help but wonder is a primitive FPS would be possible on the 7800. I know that it does not have sprite scaling built in, so that would mean lots of sprites need to be stored in the ROM at all the necessary scales. The walls could be monochrome to minimize CPU time, and lighting effects would not exist. Sort of a Tunnel Runner on Steriods. The end result would probably be more akin to Wolfenstien 3D than to Doom.

It seems to me that hte Lynx, which was able to do an excellent port of Stun Runner, should be able to run Doom considering it has the sprite scalling hardware support. The main obstacle to overcome would be the limit of 16 colors per scanline. Lighting options would probably be defeated by the limit in colors, although blackouts would be simple enough to accomplish. :ponder:

Cheers,

Rob

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...&showentry=1338