IGNORED

Star Wars Arcade Game Hack - Reversed Control Scheme

Atarius Maximus

Dennis Debro did a hack for me back in February 2003 that reversed the control shceme for Spitfire Attack (see that thread here), so your plane would go up when you push up on the joystick, and down when you push down. I asked in that thread if someone could also do SWTAG, which never happened....until I finally figured out how to do it myself, three years later. ;) I may be in the minority, but I think this control scheme makes this game (as well as Spitfire Attack) much easier to play.

The code change was fairly simple:

;
;  STICK 
;
;  SWTAG-RC Hack - Reverse the DEY and INY's below to reverse the control scheme.
;			 
STICK:
	  LDA	 PLRCTL
	  LDX	 CHAIRDX
	  LDY	 CHAIRDY
	  ASL
	  BCS	 SK10
	  INX
	  INX
SK10:	 ASL
	  BCS	 SK11
	  DEX
	  DEX
SK11:	 ASL
	  BCS	 SK12
	  DEY		; Changed from original - was INY
	  DEY		; Changed from original - was INY
SK12:	 ASL
	  BCS	 SK13
	  INY		; Changed from original - was DEY
	  INY		; Changed from original - was DEY

So here it is, "Star Wars The Arcade Game RC". In order to run it in stella, you have to use the "-type e0" option.

swtagrc.bin

swtagrc_source.zip

• 3 weeks later...
Flight sims with flight controls are the way I like to play. If you have piloted a plane you would understand REAL quick. :grin:

I agree that the normal flight control scheme works well and is very intuitive for modern 3-D Flight Sims. I think reversing it works a little better on a game like this, where you're just moving a crosshair around the screen and there's no real illusion of flight. It's just my opinion. ;)

Steve

• 15 years later...

Fantastic! I appreciate you flipping the controls because its been so long since I played a flight sim that I've totally lost the knack for playing flying games.  The original game is hard enough that it doesn't really need flight sim controls.