IGNORED

Prototypes laying in the sun

tenoch

Amazing. Simply amazing. I would have dropped my jaw too far to fake my excitement. Man, even at 50 bucks each you stole that lot. Congrats. Looking forward to seeing differences between the one Marc did and the SW you have there.

Now, the question....what are you going to do with them all?

Cassidy

That is a good question.

Snow white seems to be the one most interesting. I' not sure how rare it really is? Is it a one of a kind sense 2 of them came out from Greg Easter. Mine is definitely different than what has been know as SW. It is a mystery, that I've been trying to find out with no luck.

I've sent PM to people here seeing if anyone wanted to dump the carts I have, but there has not been any interest in it.

I love just having a piece of unsolved history. I'll dump it one day and share it I'm sure.

Later. :)

Amazing. Simply amazing. I would have dropped my jaw too far to fake my excitement. Man, even at 50 bucks each you stole that lot. Congrats. Looking forward to seeing differences between the one Marc did and the SW you have there.

Cassidy

That is a good question.

Snow white seems to be the one most interesting. I' not sure how rare it really is? Is it a one of a kind sense 2 of them came out from Greg Easter. Mine is definitely different than what has been know as SW. It is a mystery, that I've been trying to find out with no luck.

I've sent PM to people here seeing if anyone wanted to dump the carts I have, but there has not been any interest in it.

I love just having a piece of unsolved history. I'll dump it one day and share it I'm sure.

What do you mean by "no interest"? Didn't I tell you that I will be sending my dumper to someone near you? :ponder:

Some people do work for a living.

Cassidy

That is a good question.

What do you mean by "no interest"? Didn't I tell you that I will be sending my dumper to someone near you? :ponder:

Some people do work for a living.

I PM you days ago asking about that and had no reply?

• 3 weeks later...
So Here are the .bin files for anyone to play.

Sorry it took a while. I've been out of town off and on.

Sorry here are more.

Let me know what ya'll find out about these. It is hard for me to determine what the difference is sometimes. That it.

See ya

-h.

polepos_proto.bin

snowwhite_proto.bin

sorcerer_proto.bin

sorcerorsapp_proto.bin

tazz_proto.bin

tennis_proto.bin

xevious_proto.bin

Some very first results:

First those which a not new:

Battlezone, Donald Duck, Pole Position, Xevious and one of the Sorcerer prototypes. Those are 100% identical with the official ROMs.

Moon Patrol and Tennis are almost identical with the released ROMs (CloneSpy ~95%), the other ones differ quite a lot. Both (identical) Oscar prototype dumps are incomplete (1st bank is missing).

The other dumps are more and less different or completely unknown yet.

Some very first results:

Both (identical) Oscar prototype dumps are incomplete (1st bank is missing).

When I get time I was going to send the cart to Tempest to try and dump. These were dumped on a 7800 dumper. Tempest mentioned that he dumps from the EPROM so It might dump differently.

The cart does have graphics that come up when I plug it in to my atari.

Try to send it off soon. :)

-h.

Some very first results:

Both (identical) Oscar prototype dumps are incomplete (1st bank is missing).

When I get time I was going to send the cart to Tempest to try and dump. These were dumped on a 7800 dumper. Tempest mentioned that he dumps from the EPROM so It might dump differently.

The cart does have graphics that come up when I plug it in to my atari.

Try to send it off soon. :)

-h.

It sounds like the second EPROM isn't being detected by the 7800 dumping program. Obviously it works or the prototype wouldn't come up on a real 2600. I should be able to get the information off it by dumping it directly.

Tempest

Tenoch just wanted to say a big thnak you for sharing these treasures with the rest of the Atari community. You are a true star ;)

Thanks Fox I appreciate it :D

I like to think that it is for the best, no matter if the value goes down ;)

I just like to know the differences in the games I have from what is out there and people are starting to reply on that and I thank them. :)

-h

Tenoch just wanted to say a big thnak you for sharing these treasures with the rest of the Atari community. You are a true star ;)

I just like to know the differences in the games I have from what is out there and people are starting to reply on that and I thank them. :)

-h

Many, many thanks for the roms and for your effort in getting them out there!

I don't see why value would go down on items that are so close to one-of-a-kind. The only way I could see that happening is if you had a load of copies, say dozens or hundreds, to peddle. It's all Supply and Demand 101 to which there are no exceptions.....

In my opinion when proto roms are hoarded and not released in rom format it's mearly an ego, power trip thing on the part of the owner. It's a real crime when due to this mentality, that games like the Pink Pather are in effect lost to history, unless another copy of the proto is discovered.

Edited by JL

-h

Many, many thanks for the roms and for your effort in getting them out there!

I don't see why value would go down on items that are so close to one-of-a-kind. The only way I could see that happening is if you had a load of copies, say dozens or hundreds, to peddle. It's all Supply and Demand 101 to which there are no exceptions.....

In my opinion when proto roms are hoarded and not released in rom format it's mearly an ego, power trip thing on the part of the owner. It's a real crime when due to this mentality, that games like the Pink Pather are in effect lost to history, unless another copy of the proto is discovered.

I totally agree. The value shouldn't go down for many people are still willing to pay for owning a piece of Atari history. The guys who own the 2600 Pink Panther and computer equivalent should have at least allowed Tempest to do a full indepth review on them for at least that way the rest of us could better understand the games in question. Mind you it is a free country and they have their reasons for not sharing and I am not condemning either one or any others who keep their prizes hidden from view. All I will do is appeal to them to at least allow Tempest to review them for he is 100% trust worthy and will keep any roms sent to him safe and out of public view until told otherwise ;)

As far as I'm aware of, Pink Panther, is the only 2600 proto that isn't dumped and shared (and I doubt it's because the owner wants to be the only one that can play it).

There are no evil ROM hoarders in 2600 land (most of them seem to live in NES land). So, there is no need to worry about those poor decaying Atari ROMs: we can happily game on for ever!!

:party:

Cheers,

Marco

Edited by Marco

As far as I'm aware of, Pink Panther, is the only 2600 proto that isn't dumped and shared (and I doubt it's because the owner wants to be the only one that can play it).

Cheers,

Marco

There are a few, but there are various reasons for it. There's only one I can think of that is currently being 'horded'.

Tempest

The ones that aren't shared are all dumped, aren't they?

Like the Blue Sky Rangers games et al.

And which one is being horded? Don't be a tease, we have a right to know! :)

Cheers,

Marco

There are a few that are undumped as of this moment:

Good Luck Charlie Brown - Hopefully very soon

Pink Panther (2600) - Has the owner been found?

Pink Panther (8-bit) - The owner doesn't want to dump or distribute it at this time

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original version) - Prototype whereabouts unknown

All the M-Network protos cannot be shared as the copyright and program owners do not want them to be, although they are all dumped (I think).

Tempest

Cheers,

Marco

Pink Panther (8-bit) - The owner doesn't want to dump or distribute it at this time

All the M-Network protos cannot be shared as the copyright and program owners do not want them to be, although they are all dumped (I think).

Tempest

They are most certainly not available on the net (except for Swordfight - Swordfighting).

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

There you go, for the 2600 is's just Pink Panther that hasn't been dumped (the original TCM is safe, if my memory serves me right).

There really is very little to nothing to worry about in our wonderful world of 2600 collecting! :cool:

Cheers,

Marco

Cheers,

Marco

Tempest

Wow -- I didn't realize this list was so short! That's pretty amazing when you think about it. And with GLCB about to be dumped, that only leaves three known protos out there!!!

Cheers,

Marco

Tempest

Wow -- I didn't realize this list was so short! That's pretty amazing when you think about it. And with GLCB about to be dumped, that only leaves three known protos out there!!!

Yeah it's alot shorter than it used to be. People finally wised up I think and started releasing the games.

Tempest