IGNORED

Berzerk Question

thegamezmaster

4 variations of GET and GOT:

If you exited the prior screen without killing all the robots, then when the robots are chasing you it will say

GET THE HUMANOID GET THE CHICKEN. If the robots get you then it says GOT THE HUMANOID GOT THE CHICKEN.

However, if on the prior screen you had killed all the robots, then when the robots are chasing you it will say GET THE HUMANOID. If the robots kill you then it says GOT THE HUMANOID.

Ah.

TI did sampling, too, even though their chips COULD work at the phenome level.

Fun fact: The Speak and Math has one sample that's audibly out of place.

They'd hired a radio announcer to read all the words in, and after he left they realized they forgot one. Since they had a demo scheduled before they could get him back in for the last sample, one of the engineers sat down and recorded it himself, figuring that they could fix it later.

No one else noticed, and it was released with the placeholder sample intact, where I could tell as a kid that it very much did not match the rest of them.

Humm... I had a Speak & Math. It always seemed to me that "Greater than, less than" (when picking a mode) wasn't said with the same clarity as the other words.

-Bry

And that would be the sample, if I recall.

My own Speak&Math hasn't been fired up in quite some time, though I HAVE used it more recently than I should probably admit.

4 variations of GET and GOT:

If you exited the prior screen without killing all the robots, then when the robots are chasing you it will say

GET THE HUMANOID GET THE CHICKEN. If the robots get you then it says GOT THE HUMANOID GOT THE CHICKEN.

However, if on the prior screen you had killed all the robots, then when the robots are chasing you it will say GET THE HUMANOID. If the robots kill you then it says GOT THE HUMANOID.

You forgot the second part of the second set. It's GET/GOT THE HUMANOID, GET/GOT THE INTRUDER if you kill all the robots. They swap chicken and intruder out depending on play.

Also, just on a side-note it's not "got the chicken". The actual quote is "Got the humanoid! Got the intruder!" I just tried that out with the Atari 8-bit version. That is in fact the same as the quote I have and in the arcade.

It will say "got the chicken" in some cases.

When Evil Otto appears: "Intruder alert! Intruder alert!"

If all the robots are wiped out before you leave an arena...

- When you leave: "The humanoid must not escape!"

- If you are then killed in the next arena: "Got the humanoid. Got the intruder."

If one or more robots are still alive when you leave an arena...

- When you leave: "Chicken, fight like a robot!"

- If you are then killed in the next arena: "Got the humanoid. Got the chicken."

The arcade game had a few more quotes that would play during the game, such as, "Kill it!" During the attract mode, it would also say, "Coin detected in pocket!"

Edited by skunkworx

By the way JB, you're not completely wrong about Berzerk using samples. The speech chip is more of a really lossy speech compressor, so it does require samples to be processed for conversion purposes.

-Bry

M'kay.

I wonder how much effort it would take to generate samples from numbers...

The arcade game had a few more quotes that would play during the game, such as, "Kill it!" During the attract mode, it would also say, "Coin detected in pocket!"

There's a few more "taunts" during rooms in the arcade version. I've heard "get it" before, and I think a few more variants.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for necroposting this, but I think its important.

Here are all of the words from the Berzerk arcade machine, in the order they appear in the TSI S14001A speech rom:

00 - Help

01 - Kill

02 - Attack

03 - Charge

04 - Got

05 - Shoot

06 - Get

07 - Is

08 - Alert

09 - Detected

0A - The

0B - In

0C - It

0D - There

0E - Where

0F - Humanoid

10 - Coins

11 - Pocket

12 - Intruder

13 - No

14 - Escape

15 - Destroy

16 - Must

17 - Not

18 - Chicken

19 - Fight

1A - Like

1B - A

1C - Robot

Lord Nightmare

Here are all of the words from the Berzerk arcade machine, in the order they appear in the TSI S14001A speech rom:

Now this is an informative first post! Welcome to AtariAge!

00 - Help

01 - Kill

02 - Attack

I'm suddenly reminded of those refridgerator magnet sets with different words you can jumble around to make different phrases. :)

Are the recordings played back at different speeds? My memory is of the machine saying "Got the humanoid/Got the intruder" with the two lines being at somewhat different pitches.

Yes. the machine varies playback speed to change pitch and generate diffrent "robot voices."