IGNORED

INTERNAL SIO2PC INSTALLATION

MEtalGuy66

Hi. This is a simple, neat, and efficient way to build, install, and use SIO2PC.

Once it's done, you just hook your atari directly to your PC with a standard 9-pin PC serial cable.

I've done quite a few of these, and this design DOES work fine with real disk drives attatched to your ATARI, as well.

The jumper is to switch between DSR and RI for the ATARI's COMMAND line. APE works with either configuration, so really

this isn't even necessary, but may help with other software designed to use one or another specific incarnation of SIO2PC.

SIO2PC.jpg

Nice design. Almost identical to the one I built, except yours is somewhat neater (based mine on plans from elsewhere).

I use a header plug on my daughterboard though, which goes to the DB9 plug (makes it easier to remove the motherboard from the XE without removing any other plugs or wiring).

Very nice done! It is a lot smaller than my effort.

My SIO2PC is based on the MAX232 Chip,

and therefore it needs 5 capacitors. I soldered 2 of them to the under side. My SIO2PC runs

with attached 1050, too. You only shouldn't have an atr-file assigned to drive 1 and have the 1050

switched on... if i need this, i assign the ATR-file to disk 2, my 1050 is disk 1 and then i exchange

the drives logically with my "Speeder plus OS".

sio2pc.jpg

Regards,

Beetle

Yeah Ive done this on several machines. You remove the 2 screws and the DB9 pops right out, and stays with the motherboard. No problems whatsoever.

Yeah I cant stand a sloppy looking upgrade.. This is one of the few I actally build on perfboard. For most things, I keep professionally made PCBs in stock. makes assembly 100 times faster and much better looking end-results.

Yeah the MAX 232 is a nice chip, but more expensive, and a bit overkill in this situation, if you ask me.. 1489s are 30 cents each from mouser or digikey, and Ive never had a single problem out of this design. Also, if someone figures out a way to fry one (hasn't happened so far,) since its socketed, I just mail them another 30 cent chip, and they are right back up and running.

Oh. Pin 6 of the DB9 is DSR. Pin 9 is RI.

• 4 weeks later...
<snip>

Yeah I cant stand a sloppy looking upgrade.. This is one of the few I actally build on perfboard. For most things, I keep professionally made PCBs in stock. makes assembly 100 times faster and much better looking end-results.

<snip>

You would cringe at all my mods (some of them even work). They are sinfully ugly.

I have no talent with tools or a soldering iron.

My internal SIO2PC consists of an 10x9 hole piece of proto board, the 14C89 circuit, and a RJ11 connector (modular telephone) salvaged from an old modem. The connector is superglued to the 800XL motherboard

For the PC end I use off the shelf RJ11/DB-9 adapters plus spare modular telephone cables. (Doesn't everyone have these cables lying around the house?).

Here's a few pics. Poor quality (webcam) plus I'm using an ultra-low bandwidth free

server.

Interface. (You might be able to see the cold solder joints and the hot glue!)

WholeInterface.jpg

Fitting. (Oops, the hole was a little too big!)

Fitting.jpg

Hombrew serial adapter, prior to buying the off-the-shelf ones.

TemporaryPCAdapter.jpg

- Steve Sheppard

Edited by a8isa1