IGNORED

atari xe 1050 problems

heatmizer

Ok guys... Here the problem I am having..

I have an XE system along with a 1050 drive and some software.. I was told they will work together. I tried by doing what some instructions online says, on startup disconnect the keyboard and hold down the select button and turn it on while the 1050 is on. But doesnt work... Is there something I am missing?

Ok guys... Here the problem I am having..

I have an XE system along with a 1050 drive and some software.. I was told they will work together. I tried by doing what some instructions online says, on startup disconnect the keyboard and hold down the select button and turn it on while the 1050 is on. But doesnt work... Is there something I am missing?

If you're trying to boot disk software, do this:

Connect the keyboard

Turn on the drive and put in the disk.

Hold OPTION and turn on the XE System (You can release OPTION once loading starts)

Oh yes, make sure the 1050 is set to drive 1 (in the little hole in the back).

-Bry

Yeah and make sure it's a self-booting disk (or a disk with DOS on it) or youll just get BOOT ERROR repeating down the screen.

On the 1050 drive select, there are 2 switches, one right behind the other, inside that hole.. I BELEIEVE (I could be wrong) that the correct seting for drive ID 1 is to have both switches pushed to the left.

Someone check me on this, I dont have the documentation handy...

Both left is correct. There are 2 small switches. The front one is black and the back one is white - they are set together so its hard to actually seperate them for other drive settings - However its simple enough to use a small screwdriver and push them both left.

Both left is correct. There are 2 small switches. The front one is black and the back one is white - they are set together so its hard to actually seperate them for other drive settings - However its simple enough to use a small screwdriver and push them both left.

God... You guys are masters!!! Excellent job!!! Worked perfect!!... Now for some serious questions. Is it possible to download these to cds or to get games for these off the internet ( besides ebay ) or just perserve the games i have? I would love to have backups of these just in case. Is there a copier for these?

Yep, I second that. SIO2PC is by far the most awesome thing you can get for your atari. especially on a dollar per functionality basis. Disk drives are a thing of the past.

The ability to load and save data directly to your PC as disk images, and then freely exchange these images with other users is awesome.

Not to mention the fact that you can have every atari game ever made at you instant disposal in a few hudred megs in a directory on your PC hardrive and just "drag & drop" them into place to instantly load and play them on your ATARI.

The program, APE (Written and maintained by Steve Tucker of http://www.atarimax.com) is truly awesome, and uses your PC to emulate 8 disk drives, any modem configuration, and any printer or plotter configuration simultaneously.

Your atari "thinks" its got a huge stack of ATARI hardware hooked to it's SIO port. And it is actualy much faster than the "real thing"..

All you need is an SIO2PC cable which can be assembled for a few dollars worth of parts, or purchased directly from atarimax.com.