IGNORED

Playboy January 1979

tenoch

My wife and I picked up some old 70's playboys for the house

Your wife is cool. :cool:

Ad is neat too. Wouldn't have thought a company catering to an entire family would advertise in an adult mag. That was for Mystique to do. :P Then again, Playboy isn't a Hustler or Penthouse either.

Ad is neat too. Wouldn't have thought a company catering to an entire family would advertise in an adult mag. That was for Mystique to do. :P Then again, Playboy isn't a Hustler or Penthouse either.
One of the first things I bought from eBay was a two-page Atari ad ("Everything you wanted to know about Atari games, etc., etc.") that was described as being "clipped from a magazine." After I got it, I saw that it was from Playboy (it had a 1982 copyright but I don't know what issue it was). So apparently it's something that Atari did for at least a couple of years.

Holy crap! This makes me want to get back to checking the old Playboys that were given to me. I might have that one and don't even know it. I hate being lazy.

Me too.

Were they still doing this in 85? Earliest Playboy I have is the Madonna issue.

Kids, just about every magazine from the early 80s had a couple of game ads. They're extremely easy to find. I have a few thousand in my comic book collection alone.

What would Atari be advertising in 1985?

Not easy for me to find. The only late 1970s and early 1980s magazines I have are these Playboys that were given to me. I'd love to have other magazines and catalogs in great condition from that time. I like having my own ads.

Any decent city has a large used book store which carries tons of old magazines (Omaha is not a decent city, by the way). It might be worth digging into any old Playboys, entertainment and science mages, etc to see what you find from 1978-1984. You're not likely to find anything beyond that until Nintendo struck gold.

All you guys out there with playboys you want checked for ads, feel free to send them right on to me, i'll check them for you... ;)

Be careful what you wish for. All of that ancient hairy bush could traumatize you.

:rolling:

I was thinking the same thing.

Just bring your weed whacker with you.

All you guys out there with playboys you want checked for ads, feel free to send them right on to me, i'll check them for you... ;)

Be careful what you wish for. All of that ancient hairy bush could traumatize you.

:rolling:

I was thinking the same thing.

Just bring your weed whacker with you.

Zip...Poof!

For other magazines with old video game ads... I recall National Geographic being one of the main places I ever saw Magnavox Odyssey 2 ads; video enthusiast magazines carried quite a few from lots of manufacturers (especially before video game magazines emerged as a new genre). Nova's general hint to look at concurrent entertainment and science magazines is a good one.

Video game ads from "family" companies in Playboy continued past Atari; when GameBoy launched, Nintendo advertised it in Playboy, and they've been occasional advertisers since.

Neat ad, I've seen it online before so it doesn't look like they changed anything in the ad for Playboy :-)

One thing that sticks out to me in the ad is the "Remember Pong?" bit. Seems like Atari was always trying to to use last year's hit games to get you interested in their current systems. Didn't work too well in the 80's.

My wife and I picked up some old 70's playboys for the house from the flee market.

"Flipping" through it I ran across a picture that may get you excited!!!

Tenoch

I have the same ad hanging on my wall, behind my computer, with a bunch of other Atari ads.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

I didn't think National Geographic magazines had ads??

I just got the entire 1971 Year of Playboy (The year I was born) off ebay for like $10.00 They sell them by the year pretty cheap on there if anyone is interested.