IGNORED

Medieval Mayhem - 2600

SpiceWare

Great job! The game is really amazing and I'll definitely buy it.

I tried the last revision and found a bug: there is something wrong with the spiceware logo at the bottom of the menu screen. It seems shifted up one line (compared to old revisions) and there is some garbage in the last line of the frame.

post-10599-1165608201_thumb.png

Alessandro

Great job! The game is really amazing and I'll definitely buy it.

Thanks!

I tried the last revision and found a bug: there is something wrong with the spiceware logo at the bottom of the menu screen. It seems shifted up one line (compared to old revisions) and there is some garbage in the last line of the frame.
Noticed that last night and already fixed it. As I add and revise the dragon animations, the code for the menu gets shifted in memory. The shift in memory can cause program timing changes, and in this case caused the screen to shrink by 1 row because a loop no longer crossed a page boundry and became faster. I added an extra scanline at the bottom to fix it, but forgot to zero out the sprite data so the bottom row of pixels from the letters ARE get repeated on the next row. An extra row in front of the SpiceWare logo might work out better, and can easily be removed if timing changes again as I finish the dragon animations.

Normally it's better to put data at the end so the timing of the program doesn't change as the amount of data changes. I have the dragon animation data scattered over 3 banks of ROM because there was not enough room left over in a single bank to store it all. I use the high-byte of the data location to figure out which bank I need to access to read the sequence from, so in one bank the data is at the beginning, another it's in the middle and the third it's at the end.

Edited by SpiceWare

The shift in memory can cause program timing changes, and in this case caused the screen to shrink by 1 row because a loop no longer crossed a page boundry and became faster.

I define macros for "sbne", "sbeq" etc. which will fault if they cross page boundaries. Occasionally I'll use "bne" when it turned out "sbne" was actually necessary, but overall the approach works well.

And yet more work on the in-game sequences and the easter egg.

Also found and fixed a nasty bug. If you had triggered the easter egg and exited back to the menu, Medieval Mayhem would crash if the demo mode started and you hadn't played a game(after leaving the easter egg that is).

mm20061209NTSC.bin

mm20061209PAL.bin

Just fired up the 1209 build. Can't make the paddles work with it using the latest Stella and a Stella adapter. Kaboom works fine. Something I am doing wrong? I haven't read this thread all the way through... just the first page and the last page. Looks really cool, though!

Just fired up the 1209 build. Can't make the paddles work with it using the latest Stella and a Stella adapter. Kaboom works fine. Something I am doing wrong? I haven't read this thread all the way through... just the first page and the last page. Looks really cool, though!

Did you configure Stella to use Paddle controllers with the game? By default it won't know that Medieval Mayhem is a paddle game.

..Al

I've posted the following periodically, most recently on page 11 :)

1. Instructions to play using
Stellastart Stella
load Medieval Mayhem
hit TAB, a menu will pop up
select Game Properties
on the CARTRIDGE tab set SOUND to STEREO
select the CONTROLLER tab
change both controllers to PADDLES
hit OK
hit EXIT MENU
restart the emulator for the change to take effect. Under OS X use APPLE R, under Windows and Linux use CONTROL R. You'll get a message "New Console Created" when it restarts.

Once you've done this, Stella will remember the settings if you play the game again later. However, you'll have to do it again if you download a new build.

The last of the animation changes are in place. Enjoy the final build :)

Great that this is finished. It comes just before a new Stella release, so I can include the ROM in the internal properties (so people can stop asking why the paddles don't work :) )

Any preferences on what info I should use (Cartridge name, manufacturer, etc)? And again, great work.

Let the game play by itself in demo mode and the screen will occasionally jitter up/down when there's fireballs on the right side.

I'd appreciate a PM once you finalize the ROM, so I can get the released version into the Stella database. I'll be doing a new release by the end of next week, so there's still plenty of time. There's always a bug at the last minute :)