IGNORED

HSC Season 3 Week 37: Tac-Scan

Ze_ro

Important Note: This week's competition is over, no further scores will be accepted. If you still wish to discuss Tac-Scan, feel free to do so, but future scores will not be included in the competition.

Streaking across the galaxy at Mach 24, your squadron is suddenly confronted by the deadly superfleet from the ghastly planey of Ahm. The glare of laser cannons pierces the darkness of space as your squadron shrieks overhead in tight formation at 24 times the speed of sound. Can you hold out long enough for reinforcements to arrive?

Note: Unlike most paddle games, this game requires a set of paddles to be plugged into the RIGHT joystick port instead of the left.

Game Information

• Game Name: Tac-Scan
  • Released By: Sega, 1983
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Right Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Game Mode: Default
  • Chosen By: keilbaca

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Tuesday, April 3rd at 1:30 AM (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

As before, next week's game will be chosen by the next person in the member list, which happens to be bjk7382! Please send me a private message with your choice of game for next week!

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a score for this week's game, and I'll add you to the list!

Current High Scores

1. 448,300 (SpiceWare) [+11]
  2. 222,800 (keilbaca) [+10]
  3. 210,000 (LarcenTyler) [+9]
  4. 46,200 (scogey) [+8]
  5. 40,200 (vdub_bobby) [+7]

Best Tips

• None yet

Bounties and Challenges

• None yet

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Difficulty B)
  1. 1,094,100 (Todd Rogers)
  2. 455,300 (Mark Feldt)
  3. 287,700 (Stephen R Riesenberger)

Current Standings

1. Coming Eventually

Member List

bjk7382, davepesc, neotokeo2001, xeex, bmlbytes, Omegamatrix, the 5th ghost, Xebec's Demise, khryssun, vgcollector666, chadtower, moycon, Malc74, shadow460, Atarifever, Keir, supercat, FireTiger, Philflound, Fellow Atari Man, keilbaca, brendano, Cybergoth, durden26, sku_u, mitsubachi, arlo, Recycled, LarcenTyler, silverpoodleman, 128bytes, Goochman, Thomas Jentzsch, Christophero Sly, D.Yancey, mrppv666, Mordax, Numan, Mordax, vdub_bobby, Dones, Gamemaster_ca_2003, scogey, graywest, RJ, Voch, video game addict, SpiceWare, Robert M, Mad Scientist, Dan Iacovelli, Gateway, Rom Hunter, gospeedde

Scoring Points in Tac-Scan

Coming Soon

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? Well unfortunately, AtariAge has neither a scanned or typed manual online. If you happen to have the manual, please consider scanning it for the archive!

--Ze_ro

To be frank, I don't mind using the mouse to emulate the paddles, but when the cursor goes out of the Stella window, it can cause some difficulties when I have to reopen the window. Maybe I should play in Full-Screen mode.

Also, if you're playing on emulator, make sure to set it to paddle 3 (the second paddle in the right jack.)

post-1653-1143548364_thumb.jpg

Edited by LarcenTyler

To be frank, I don't mind using the mouse to emulate the paddles, but when the cursor goes out of the Stella window, it can cause some difficulties when I have to reopen the window. Maybe I should play in Full-Screen mode.

You can have Stella grab the mouse, so that it can't exit the game window. Use Control-g for Linux/Win32 and Command-g for OSX. Of course, when you do that, it grabs *all* input. So if you want to alt-tab to some other program, you have to remember to turn off the mouse grab again.

wow - only 4 players this week. maybe it's time to take a break for a bit then start up Season 4?

Indeed... where is everyone? Is the High Score Club getting boring or something? I really need to find the time to update the standings more often... I think I have a few days off coming up this week, I'll try and get that stuff finished up.

In the mean time, I don't have a game chosen for next week... any suggestions? Or should Tac-Scan be held over for another week?

--Zero

I say no new games! :razz:

There are still plenty of games that haven't been played.

Suggestions for next week:

Road Runner

Donkey Kong :ponder:

Bank Heist

Crazy Balloon, SWOOPS!, Go Fish! :ponder:, Hunchy II, Qb, or some other homebrew

Hack 'Em :ponder:

Rampage

Pitfall II

Piece O' Cake

Bump 'N' Jump

Millipede

Crystal Castles

Laser Gates

Fathom

Jungle Hunt

Killer Satellites

Krull

Miner 2049er

Ok, that's probably enough for now. :D

wow - only 4 players this week. maybe it's time to take a break for a bit then start up Season 4?

I was going to join in on Tac/Scan, but just didn't have the time this week. I really like the game, too (and I have the cart).

There are still plenty of games that haven't been played.

Suggestions for next week:

Crazy Balloon, SWOOPS!, Go Fish! :ponder:, Hunchy II, Qb, or some other homebrew

What? No Reindeer Rescue? I'll take you all on! ;)

Well, it looks like it's time for a week or so off. What kind of stuff would you guys like to see changed for Season 4? Should anything be changed at all? For one thing, I'll almost certainly change the way games are picked... too often, people get added to the list, and then lose interest in the HSC before their pic comes up... I'd prefer to award loyal participants with letting them pick stuff. I definitely want to try and keep scores updated more often too... I'm a little disappointed in myself for neglecting things as I have in the last few months, with some weeks only getting one update in score listings, and the overall standings still being MIA... (I do EVENTUALLY plan to fix that!)

Or, would it be a better idea to restructure the entire thing, so this whole section of the forum would act like more of a general high score listing rather than a competition? If this were the case, anyone could submit scores for any of the games listed... although I'd probably limit things to existing games, and only add games one per week (in order to provide some sense of focus to things). Any thoughts on this? Any other ideas?

--Zero

I'm kinda liking the general high score listing, but I'm afraid of the cheaters to really come out and just max out everything. You know, the insta-save and reload folks. At the same time, this would make The 5th Ghost in the lead for Quadrun, and I need to catch up...

Everything else is fine, I think we just lost interest because the common, popular games wasn't being played.

However, if you DO go with the general high score listing, you're most likely going to need another mod at least for the first flood of new scores, to keep up.