IGNORED

Does anyone actually like the 5200 stick?

badbrad

Am I the only one here who actually likes the 5200 controller?

I think that with a properly updated and reconditioned controller and a little practice,

the 5200 controller works great. It's easy to center.

I have a Wico, and don't think it's that great.

I have a Comp Pro, and it's not great either.

I play with the 5200 controller, period.

(BTW, anyone have a Wico keypad for sale/trade?)

I like it better than the stock Colecovision stick and better than Intellivision for sure. Other than that I'd rate it lower than everything else that's ever been made.

I love the 5200 Wico stick.

I'd also put the Pro Line controllers below the stock controller.

They are certainly not the worst of the classic controllers. The CV, INTV, and yes the prolines all blow more than they do.

But I find that when specially updated with improved components, carefully/meticulously/annoyingly reconditioned and recalibrated, well cared for, and with much practice and patience - they still suck wildly.

We've got a few 5200 stick evangelists here - you'll be meeting them soon! :lol:

Edited by remowilliams

I've always like the 5200 sticks. The non-self centering issue was never a problem for me. They fit comfortably in my hand and the fire buttons are positioned perfectly. My complaint is the design of the fire buttons. Too quishy and prone to wearing out...

You know, there's so many cheap Famiclones and controllers coming out of China nowadays, some company should get one of those Chinese fly-by-night factories to make some Atari 5200 compatible controllers. It would be nice to have a modern, self-centering stick with a properly ergonomic casing. Maybe the Messiah NES controller people will finally tackle one. I know they've talked about it in the past. You'd think they'd jump right on it, considering that only a small percent of 5200 controllers work properly. There's got to be a huge market for replacements.

I like the non-centering 5200 sticks fine, but the placement and feel of the fire buttons ruin the whole experience for me. They make my fingers cramp up after a few minutes. I mainly enjoy using the 5200 trackball or a PC joystick adapter to play.

Am I the only one here who actually likes the 5200 controller?

No, I like mine too (when they work).

While I only kept my 5200 for less than a month I can vouch the controller is alot better than people try to make it out to be.

Sorry, having only had it a month, no I don't think you fairly can vouch for it. Maybe try a month + 1 day, where it sat idle for that month and you only played on that +1 day, then you'll change yer tune. :P

While I only kept my 5200 for less than a month I can vouch the controller is alot better than people try to make it out to be.

Sorry, having only had it a month, no I don't think you fairly can vouch for it. Maybe try a month + 1 day, where it sat idle for that month and you only played on that +1 day, then you'll change yer tune. :P

OK, you got me, I'm a hater :P

I've probably said it before (search my previous posts here and over at DP) - as has been said by others above, when the sticks work, I love them.

The only downside in my estimation is their infamous lack of reliability.

(Damn I'm wordy today.)

-- NoahsMyBro

aka Mr. Thesaurus

if the sticks would work..they would be great..but they are poorly made..even with repairs etc..i mean who wants to keep opening up their sticks and using glue, TIN FOIL etc (you should enjoy playing your system not repairing it all the time and hope that they will work) the 5200 sticks were a good idea at the time but a flex circuit instead of a circuit board? what were they smoking when they came up with that one??.....i say get a redemption and use a dependable controller on your 5200 that actually works like the sega controllers:) now my 5200 rocks! im kicking ass all over when i play defender now..hats off to the guys that came up with the redemption 5200

If it worked like the sticks on my Playstation or Xbox controllers, I'd love it. If the FB3 (5200) is ever made, it would be cool if you could use modern controllers with it. I love these modern snap-back sticks.

yeah the ps and the xbox controllers are the best , dont forget the sega ms/genesis are awesome also :cool:

I was very frustrated with them until I took them both apart and painted the firebuttons with that car windshield copper stuff. Now, I don't hate them. I had been dreading reaching 1982 in my chronogaming project, but now I'm looking forward to it because they work. I might actually grow to like them.

I <3 5200 sticks. Properly-working, they're among my favorite game devices ever.

we know you LOVE Your 5200 sticks sheesh!! what would you use jb if you could not find any more parts etc for the sticks? you would have to use another form of controller...

A. STOP DOUBLE- AND TRIPLE-POSTING!

Wait, that was a quadruple-post. I can't handle this...

B. I'd do what I did do. Fix the sticks I had. I've bought exactly 0 replacement parts. The parts I do have should be good for many years to come. Ditto for my Vectrex. And my DualShock2.

Now my NES bricks... THEY need replacement parts. I've got one with a cut wire and another where the traces have physically worn off the board. Surprisingly, my silicon rubber springy-bits are still in good shape(I gather that's the primary failure point).

What I COULD do is steal the cord from one and the board from another, but... I don't LIKE the bricks.

So I bought an NES2 pad instead.

Which I don't use because I have an Advantage.

All controllers will eventually fail. Some faster than others(INTV, 5200, N64 being the failure-prone devices I know of).

There's a ready supply of spare parts for the 5200, as well as easy parts-free repair techniques. The same can't be said of most other devices.

As far as long-term... if I'm gonna jury-rig something, I'm going all out. Build me an arcade panel and play the games the way God intended.

Edited by JB

Who died and made you God? You sound like a spoiled little kid posting something like that.

I do that sometimes too. It's a quick way to reply to different posts. Tagging them all together takes too much time, the posts get too long, and stuff gets lost.

Jeez

Edited by Zonie

Who died and made you God? You sound like a spoiled little kid posting something like that.

I do that sometimes too. It's a quick way to reply to different posts. Tagging them all together takes too much time, the posts get too long, and stuff gets lost.

Jeez

All you have to do is check the little quote boxes and you can multi-quote in one post.

Be nice now...he's going for the world spam record.

110 posts in one week. not bad eh? :roll:

See what I am talking about, zonie?