IGNORED

Light Gun?

Rik

Picked up a light gun today at Value Village,it is a pistol,38 special kind of style I think,silver,has a black handle,and has an orange tip where the light,signal or whatever comes out.The connector has 9 pins,like the 2600,and plugs right in,question is,any 2600 games use this gadget?or any other Atari system?I bought it just in case I could use it now or in the future,it was only $3.00.

It's not Atari compatible. It's from a cheap Famiclone. They use the same DB-9 plug as Atari consoles, but they aren't compatible at all. I see those things in thrift stores all the time. It's going to be next to impossible to find an Atari compatible lightgun in the wild.

It's not Atari compatible. It's from a cheap Famiclone. They use the same DB-9 plug as Atari consoles, but they aren't compatible at all. I see those things in thrift stores all the time. It's going to be next to impossible to find an Atari compatible lightgun in the wild.

http://www.atariage.com/7800/controllers/c...iXELightGun.jpg

This is the only Atari made light gun made. I think there was an orange colored one, too. Best Electronics has one, but there's virtually no chance of finding that one in a thrift.

Sega Master System light guns have the same DB-9 connectors as Atari consoles, but the gun isn't compatible either.

Picked up a light gun today at Value Village,it is a pistol,38 special kind of style I think,silver,has a black handle,and has an orange tip where the light,signal or whatever comes out.The connector has 9 pins,like the 2600,and plugs right in,question is,any 2600 games use this gadget?or any other Atari system?I bought it just in case I could use it now or in the future,it was only $3.00.

Try ebay for the XE light gun also. The gun will work for 2600 Sentinel if you have just a 2600 system. If you have a 7800 system, 7800 Crossbow, and 7800 Alien Brigade are light gun games as well. 7800 also released a NTSC version of Sentinel too.

• 8 years later...

This is most definitely a famiclone gun. I own several of these. Whoever is selling that is either lying, or knows very little about retro gaming - I just emailed him to let him know, in case it is just a case of ignorance (update - he responded back and said he was just going off old ebay listings, and has sorta changed the listing...). It most certainly will not work with anything Atari - however it's possible to mod them to work with an NES, so they're not entirely useless.

What the original poster describes made me think of this instantly. Possibly slightly different colours but I'd bet good money that it's the same thing.

Edit: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/116767-nes-famiclone-light-gun-to-7800-light-gun/ is an AA thread from 7 years ago where this very thing was discussed. Not a lot of success, although the Antic issue was mentioned, and there's a link to one of Ben Heck's threads where the NES/famiclone pinout is given. I've only ever done this with NES controllers to a famiclone personally - I find both the controllers and the guns on famiclones to be horribly built and very inaccurate. But to stay on topic - I can find no evidence that anyone's ever made one of these work with an Atari of any sort.

Edited by freeweed

Note that you'd better use it with CRT screens/monitors.

I can't ensure you it works on "modern" screens.

No lightgun works on any modern screen, due to how they work. You absolutely need a CRT for any Atari/Nintendo/Sega lightguns. The gun registers the position of the TV's scanline to determine where you've "hit", so any screen with no scanline won't work.

I suppose it's possible to use an Oddysey gun on an LCD, because even a light bulb works for those. :D

SMS lightguns can supposedly be modded - IIRC the fire button returns opposite value vs Atari types. Threads around somewhere about it.

The older type guns operated on whether a suitable light source was detected or not, no latching of scanline/HPos - so the old integrated Pong/Shooter games in theory should work on any TV type.

Lightguns compatable with Atari 8-bit or C64 should work fine on 2600.

Edited by Rybags