IGNORED

Bubsy - Your opinions

superjudge3

Wow this helps alot tyvm bro.But does the game actualy save at all to a eeprom or just does the high score save?Like if i saved on lvl 2 and powered the jag down would it save to lvl 2 or would you have to restart the entire game?

Yeh the eeprom just saves the high scores. This isn't like Alien Vs. Predator where there are saves 1 through 3 and it would bring you back to the point you saved. (though granted in AvP you get to fight all the aliens again.)

Would be a nice feature, but no. However, there are markers throughout the levels which is nice. And when you take out a baddie they stay gone, which after you play other platform games you realize that is really nice. (not having to fight the same baddies over and over again.)

Edited by doctorclu

• 10 months later...

We did get (and still have, somehow) Bubsy 3D on the Playstation years ago, probably around the time it first came out. I haven't played it probably since then, but I don't remember it being particularly terrible (again, maybe I need to give it another shot!). Yeah, the graphics were arguably dated (I wouldn't say "bad" exactly...just less than the PSX was capable of), but I thought it was cool how the game world looked like the video for "Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits. The gameplay was clunky, though.

Was reading through the thread and saw the "Money For Nothing" reference and I have to agree. Amazingly that is EXACTLY what Bubsy 3D looks like.

This last weekend I was playing Jaguar Bubsy and tried a new challenge: to complete all levels in under 3 minutes a piece.

Mind you I am going by the game timer when I do this. Most of the levels I was able to straight up make it through in that time. Some levels like levels 7 and 13 I was able to finish in a minute or under.

The water levels were a little trouble, but if you are williing to spend some lives and travel back to the markers, you can finish the level at just under 3 minutes.

The only exception to this was level 12 where you fight the lobster. That level was completed in three and a half minutes.

• Like 1

This last weekend I was playing Jaguar Bubsy and tried a new challenge: to complete all levels in under 3 minutes a piece.

Well done. I still don't see the appeal of the game personally, but that kind of speedrun is the kind of thing that should be captured as a youtube video.

• Like 3

Mind you I am going by the game timer when I do this. Most of the levels I was able to straight up make it through in that time. Some levels like levels 7 and 13 I was able to finish in a minute or under.

The water levels were a little trouble, but if you are williing to spend some lives and travel back to the markers, you can finish the level at just under 3 minutes.

The only exception to this was level 12 where you fight the lobster. That level was completed in three and a half minutes.

Come on doctorclu, I have already given you a Bubsy challenge! A challenge for the ages... Well maybe not, but you are my only hope.

Wait, there is another...

Oh what challenge was that?

Ahhh.. this must be what you are talking about... the cloud platforms on level 6...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/120718-jaguar-hsc-special-bubsy-doctorclu-most-balls-atardi-2027476/#entry2577535

Worth looking into, and I might have a unique way to do it.

Ahhh.. this must be what you are talking about... the cloud platforms on level 6...

http://www.atariage....6/#entry2577535

Worth looking into, and I might have a unique way to do it.

Ok, so I took a look at the Bubsy decompile that the folks at Jagware helped make possible. Looked at the sixth level map, and initially when I put it all together (using the Jaguar Image Viewer) it looked something like this...

post-4709-0-19668600-1348889848_thumb.jpg

I got to looking at it and realized that the map was interlaced, and when you combine the two the clouds above the level looks something like this... (only did the part to the extreme left)

post-4709-0-13309800-1348890071_thumb.jpg

For those that have traveled those clouds, I would love to know what you do to reach them. I thought I was good at controlling Bubsy and I just barely miss the second cloud.

Ahhh... I got the opacity trick to work in photoshop afteral and I think this gives a much better idea of the cloud placement:

post-4709-0-74181400-1348891911_thumb.jpg

There is a line going through the map on the left side and that is actually the left boundry (ish). :P

But as you can see there is a trail of clouds leading up to the hidden room, and then there is a icon on top of the hidden room to the far left.

There is one thing I have wondered:

A lot of the animations from Bubsy 1 and Bubsy 3 made it into FFT (technically Bubsy 3). Bubsy pushes things that as I have found does nothing in FFT. And here in the character pictures is the black shirt (seen in the first Bubsy game) but also the 9 lives shirt, which so far I have yet to see.

So part of me wonders if these impossible clouds leads to the 9 lives shirt? :D

post-4709-0-32865100-1348892422.jpg

• Like 1

When I first posed the challenge to you doctorclu I could get to the 10th cloud, but it has been a little while since I played so I'm sure I couldn't make it that far now. As far as controlling Bubsy I learned the jump-glide from you. I attempted it many many times so I had the locations of the clouds down pretty well also.

I'm sure someday somebody will get to the end using save states on an emulator, but I would like to see somebody make it on real hardware.

• Like 1

Do it!!

And while my body is getting used to latest trendy virus, here is some rainy weather Bubsy code tinkering I managed to accomplish this morning. I finally got the colors right (using the 8bit to bmp program, win 95/98) for the background to the Hansel and Gretel levels! :)

post-4709-0-06843400-1348931349_thumb.png

Tried to upload the root files they came from, but Atariage wouldn't let me.

Edited by doctorclu

Interestingly enough, I found that if you took the "hansel.pic" and matched it with the color set of bset5.rgb instead of bset3.rgb (the right one) you get this interesting picture that would work for a good candyland night time shot. :)

If I ever get to where I can recompile Bubsy I might make that small change.

post-4709-0-36462500-1348931680_thumb.png

More rainy day (sick at home) tinkering. I was able to make bmp files of all the Bubsy levels from the map files in the decompiled Bubsy cart.

Alice in Wonderland

01-world5a-Alice 1000.bmp

02-world5b Alice 1000.bmp

03-world5c Alice 1000.bmp

Jack and the Beanstalk

04-world2a-Jack 280.bmp 05-world2b Jack 280.bmp

06-world2c Jack 1000.bmp

Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves

07-world1a-Ali 1400.bmp

08-world1b Ali 1400.bmp

09-world1c Ali 1400.bmp

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

10-world4a-Water 1000.bmp

11-world4b Water 1000.bmp

12-world4c Water 1000.bmp

Hansel and Gretel

13-world3a-Hansel 1000.bmp

14-world3b Hansel 1000.bmp

15-world3c Hansel 1000.bmp

Or just get the whole map set in the zipped file below.

I'll play with this some more and put start and end markers and all that, but for now, this is something fun to play with.

Bubsy(3)FFT Map Set.zip

I tried it, but I wasn't doing too well. I actually got farther trying go to the right. I probably made it to the 5th cloud with my best attempt.

Actually looking at the map again, I missed the sixth cloud. If I would have made it, I would have only had two more clouds.

Edited by jeremiahjt

I made it all the way to the right and there is an interior castle/turret section, but I don't know how to get in it. Are there any warps or teleporters in that level or anything?

I took a pic of the Bubster standing on the last cloud and a short video. Here is the pic, but I'm having problems with the video.

post-5831-0-03998900-1348984025_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That is just amazing!! Well now we know there is nothing more to the right. Well, that or there is a cloud that is invisible. I think the goal, based on the map, would be to get on top of the brick structure. To the best of my knowledge the room is similar but different to the other warp room where they have the four 50 ball icons and the two extra lives. I thought I saw a small blip on top of that secret room. One thing I have noticed is that when there is a invisible cloud it does not show on the map files we printed out. (That would have been really nice). :)