IGNORED

Bubsy - Your opinions

superjudge3

LOL! Ok, here is what I got on this. First, here is a map I made, gives a rough idea of how the first level works:

post-4709-0-69673000-1408466044_thumb.jpg

And we decompiled the game and have the basic level designs of all the levels here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/85838-bubsy-your-opinions/page-7?do=findComment&comment=2608878

Doesn't show where the enemies or items are (yet) but shows how the levels work. And if you need pointers look me up on Youtube to watch my videos.

• Like 1

Alright Masematte and Travistouchdown... I have found instructional gold that will help you out. My advise given in 2005 when the first level was not a two minute run. ;)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/64844-bubsy-level-maps/

This right here gives detailed advice on the Alice in Wonderland levels, how to beat the enemies and so on. Took me probably half a year to figure out what was going on, but knowing this you can probably master what it is saying in a week or so.

After the cussing subsides I look forward to hearing what you all come up with.

I've already been impressed with Jeremiahjt who figured out higher jump techniques than I've been able to perfect.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/85838-bubsy-your-opinions/page-7?do=findComment&comment=2609193

RobertR was the first I saw that figured out the initial MEGA-combo pounce in the first level.

I've since been able to duplicate this, but was cool to learn it could be done:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/85838-bubsy-your-opinions/page-8

We still have room to grow in this game and surprises yet to find I'm sure. ;)

I see Guiltl3ss bought Bubsy back in March. Would love to hear how he is progressing.

Travistouchdown, nice price on the Bubsy game BTW! :)

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 1

Bubsy, Complete in Box, is on its way to my house right now. Queue the 80's sports training montage, with me starting off dying a bunch and then slowly getting better until I'm doing speed runs.

The more I think about his comment, the more I am laughing. Starting to get ideas of making a montage video of Bubsy dying over and over again to a parody of "Eye of the Tiger". Hell, I could probably use some of my earlier videos or get someone who has never played to play and die a lot. :)

Hey DoctorClu,

Just wanted to pass along my first impressions. I played Bubsy for about 4 hours this weekend and I have to say I enjoyed it. The graphics are nice and bright, the music is good, and the control is decent. The hit detection and jump/platform detection are just a bit off, but you can get used to them. The voice acting is good but gets a little repetitive, especially when you are dying a lot..."Oh sure, lets all rag on the Bubster :)" The game is definitely difficult, which is probably why a lot of people don't like it. It reminded me of Bucky O'Hare and other 8 bit classics which were brutally difficult.

I wasn't able to beat the first level unfortunately, but I'm okay with that. I didn't have trouble floating down to kill enemies, I just got lost in the second part of the level, which was like a labyrinth. I made my way around it killing all the enemies and unlocking stuff but couldn't find the exit. I need to watch your walkthroughs on YouTube and go through it slowly but surely until I have it memorized. I plan to tackle the game one level at a time, and not tackle the next until I can do a reasonable run through the previous level.

Was their ever a guide published that shows the maps? The Jaguar Game guide maybe?

Looking forward to playing more Bubsy and beating it eventually. Thanks for your tips and links above, I will definitely be using them!!

Edited by travistouchdown
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Here is a brief update

RE: 1 hit kills...Since we were using the source code from Bubsy 1 we had to follow that framework. I think we upped the lives the player to make up for the 1 hit kills.

No idea why we went with the yellow exclamation point. (maybe a palette issue)

Here is a map from bubsy for the jag

bubsy Map

• Like 4

Here is a pic of me checking some art from I think Bubsy...

Wow these are great (and keep them coming). The art you looking at on the screen when I zoomed in on it looked like the level 9 Djinni boss. At least a early version of it.

• 5 months later...

Evening all. Lately when playing Bubsy I've been working on a new challenge: Complete each level with 7:30 out of 10:00 minutes on the countdown timer still left. Or by whatever means have it where you only use less than 2:30 on the timer.

I have managed to do this on all but level 12, which takes less than four minutes currently. ;)

• Like 1

Evening all. Lately when playing Bubsy I've been working on a new challenge: Complete each level with 7:30 out of 10:00 minutes on the countdown timer still left. Or by whatever means have it where you only use less than 2:30 on the timer.

I have managed to do this on all but level 12, which takes less than four minutes currently. ;)

That is pretty amazing. The 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea levels take some time to complete. I cannot believe you can beat two of those levels in under two and a half minutes.

I still think you should submit to some of the speed run websites.

• Like 1

Part of the trick with Bubsy are the markers. You can run, hit a marker, then clear out the whole level, die, then return to the marker and zip through the place and get a great ending time. :D It's part of the game so I don't consider it cheating.

In the water levels the markers help a little, but level 12 there is a lot of ground to cover anyway.

Regular speed run time is still good (which is what I believe they would go with, not the actual countdown timer). What eats up the most time is how at the end of the level it counts down the balls collected and time left over. The more time you have left over the longer you will sit there.

I really wish there was a button to skip that screen and just buzz on to the next level.

So how do they measure the speed run for this site of yours? Basic stop watch from beginning of game till end?

Alright NeoGeoNinja and JeremiahJT, I've finally gotten off my haunches and signed up for the Speed run site. Thought you might like to hear that. Made the request for the speed run on the forums there and waiting for the green light.

I've also added a new entry to the Bubsy Fan page, but I do that every month. Or try to.

• Like 1

Alright NeoGeoNinja and JeremiahJT, I've finally gotten off my haunches and signed up for the Speed run site. Thought you might like to hear that. Made the request for the speed run on the forums there and waiting for the green light.

I've also added a new entry to the Bubsy Fan page, but I do that every month. Or try to.

Awesome! Which one did you go with? I still have a dream of doing a Rayman speed run, maybe you doing Bubsy will get me in gear.

I hate both this game and Zool 2, I tried playing both multiple times hopeing that "past me" was wrong and "present me" would enjoy either title.

Nope, "past me" hadn't been wrong, the games were still absolutely terrible, horrible garbage that sent me cringing back to my copy of Rayman.

• 2 weeks later...