IGNORED

Bubsy - Your opinions

superjudge3

Here is a brief update

RE: 1 hit kills...Since we were using the source code from Bubsy 1 we had to follow that framework. I think we upped the lives the player to make up for the 1 hit kills.

No idea why we went with the yellow exclamation point. (maybe a palette issue)

Here is a map from bubsy for the jag

Marigul, I think I have an answer for the yellow exclamation point of Bubsy's shirt.

At one time I figured that the yellow was a outline or some backdrop, maybe even a flicker code on the Super NES that did not translate to the Jaguar. Then I found out that the exclamation point does change color.

post-4709-0-11498800-1441431787_thumb.jpg

When you have a one player game, the exclamation point is red.

When you have a two player game, the second player the point is green.

So apparently there was some code that changed the color of the area of the exclamation point depending on which player you were.

A point of the code maybe not used when porting to the Jaguar (and then building Fractured Furry Tales from there) so you just got a basic background field color. Yellow in this case.

• 3 months later...

Bubsy Bobcat: In Fractured Furry Tales 2016 Speedrun

post-4709-0-12734300-1451721085_thumb.png

It's been two years since my last speed run, so with a new year, and just for fun, I played a speedrun to be current.

Also some have suggested I submit my time for speedrun sites. In 2014 I recorded the total play time of Bubsy in 42 minutes. This time I have recorded a session in 44 minutes, but this time the video is continuous and unedited. :D This was one of the requirements for speedrun.

I've also added some text commentary to the video. In those commentaries there are helpful hints on how to play the game better. As the night drew later and later, some the comments became goofier and goofier.

Enjoy!

• Like 4

I salute your dedication to all things Bubsy.

Thanks Madman and Trooper Galactus.

Just added a reference to this in the Bubsy Fan Blog here...

http://atariage.com/forums/blog/234/entry-12598-cruizin-soundcloud-january-2016-happy-new-year/

And found a whole lot of Bubsy related music on SoundCloud.

Why do I do this? For the game at this point it is just to see how much I can improve on something that is already a well established skill. More of a self-improvement goal.

As for the Bubsy Fan Blog, it is the fun of learning how to research all that is involved with a topic, in this case an obscure character like Bubsy. So at this point it really is a search to find the input of people everywhere on a topic. Been fun. At times disturbing, but a lot of the material out there, like what I found on SoundCloud tonight, was really cool.

• Like 2

I like Bubsy. I didn't realize so many people hate it. :) But it's the only game of its type that I have for the Jaguar, since I'm more of a Trevor Mcfur kind of guy. I actually was going to try to get Rayman and see if my kids like it, but I made the mistake of buying the Xbox 360 version first, and now they're not interested in playing the antique version.

• Like 2

I haven't yet. When I looked into submitting the speedrun and there are SO MANY RULES. The video needed to be continuous and high quality. My video from 2014 was not, however the 2016 video is a much higher quality video and continuous. So will be trying to submit that sometime soon.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

If you like the Bubsy game on the Jaguar, make your voice heard to be added to the Jaguar Game by Game Podcast!

You can make your comment on the Facebook :

https://www.facebook.com/JaguarGameByGame/photos/a.444833529036204.1073741828.417472238439000/518283025024587/?type=3

Or on Atariage here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240900-the-atari-jaguar-game-by-game-podcast/page-7?do=findComment&comment=3497591

Hurry, the comments end tomorrow! :D

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 1

Well the Jaguar got one of the least worst Bubsy games, its generic but not offensively bad like the first one and the 3D one. Personally I prefer Bubsy2 but Fractured Furry Tales is okay except for the oddly shaped platforms with tricky collision boxes.

I heard the original creators lost control of the property and hired developers made the sequels which is sad despite my dislike of the original game. :(

I kind of wish it were more like Super Mario World but he runs like Sonic except the levels aren't really built for running fast. I will say the shift of the character further back from the running direction when ramping up speed is a good idea to aid lead time for jumping obstacles. Still wish he had a health bar.

There was a lot of Sonic clones but something often overlooked in his design is he spins like a wheel which aids his racing momentum and ability to plow through enemies that his clones don't like Bubsy, Jazz Jackrabbit, Super Frog, etc.

I really hate Bubsy the character though, kind of wish Bentley Bear had his own Jaguar game instead. Shame he has so few games to call his own, many people mistook him as Deku Link in Wreck it Ralph. More Bentley please. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Great interview, lots of interesting information. Please do some more with him regarding other Atari Games he did.

Will do, especially as the Jaguar Game by Game podcast by Shinto visits some of those games. Or heck, with all the people/actors we lost in 2016 maybe we might want to go ahead and get those interviews in the can. Got me thinking. And it would be good to talk to Faran again.

So something fun for you Bubsy fans out there. I know talking to Shinto and others the castle level was a favorite of many, myself included, so without any further details except "in the works" ;) here is the level six map of Bubsy in Fractured Furry Tales.

Jack3scrn.BMP

The 17 mb bmp version

post-4709-0-53327600-1486737415_thumb.png

And the quick thumbnail version.

And I have confirmed there is not a secret door to the room in the upper right. :/ But maybe one day we can add a warp to that room

• Like 1

So if we conclude that the series of clouds is a really difficulty and pointless shortcut, why do some clouds lead to the floating rooms? It cannot be to show you they are there so you try to get to them. The portal doors are not new to that level so players would use them without needing any motivation. Programmers just having fun?

Bubsy Bobcat: In Fractured Furry Tales 2016 Speedrun

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-01-02 at 1.47.30 AM.png

It's been two years since my last speed run, so with a new year, and just for fun, I played a speedrun to be current.

Also some have suggested I submit my time for speedrun sites. In 2014 I recorded the total play time of Bubsy in 42 minutes. This time I have recorded a session in 44 minutes, but this time the video is continuous and unedited. :D This was one of the requirements for speedrun.

I've also added some text commentary to the video. In those commentaries there are helpful hints on how to play the game better. As the night drew later and later, some the comments became goofier and goofier.

Enjoy!

That had to take a lot of practice. Seemingly random mazes filled with instant one hit deaths. Great job learning and playing the game.

• Like 1

So if we conclude that the series of clouds is a really difficulty and pointless shortcut, why do some clouds lead to the floating rooms? It cannot be to show you they are there so you try to get to them. The portal doors are not new to that level so players would use them without needing any motivation. Programmers just having fun?

Seems to be. You made it all the way up to the room and couldn't jump on top. So no way in that way. And as I was able to confirm (from Andrew Seed) the level designs changed a few times before production. So that room was probably just forgotten. I am really disappointed that the clouds didn't lead to an extra life or something.

I recently started a member blog at Atari.io where I'm going through my Jaguar games at random using an Excel formula. Bubsy was the first game that game up.

http://forums.atari.io/index.php/blog/12/entry-65-001-bubsy-in-fractured-furry-tales/

A good review.

"Enemies can sometimes blend in with the scenery (I'm looking at you rattle snake)" LOL

"Still, this is a game I dust off pretty regularly - at least a few times a year - just to see if I get any better. It's not a great game but, for me, it's oddly compelling. Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment?"

Bubsy has a lot going for it in the compelling category.

1) Enemies stay dead. If you want to sacrifice a life to take out a difficult enemy and you do and you die in the process, at least the enemy won't be there the next time. Worth it!!

2) Save points. How many games have you played where you got through some difficult stuff and had to start over from the beginning of the level? Bubsy has save points to start at usually the middle of the level at least.

3) Level passwords. I don't usually use these, even back when I was learning the game. Takes a bit to enter and they were not easily memorable. But they are there. Unlike Bubsy Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind where it was a password per world, this a password per level. Nice.

And as you've seen in the video, you can always improve how you approach levels. I've been playing Bubsy at least once a month for 17 years and I still find ways to improve.

That had to take a lot of practice. Seemingly random mazes filled with instant one hit deaths. Great job learning and playing the game.

Thanks! I think I knew most of what I knew in the first five years. And that was because I just played the Alice levels for the first three or so years. Didn't like Jack and the Beanstalk at first, that seemed so random. Now I can get through the first Jack level in a little over a minute.

When I started hacking Bubsy I wanted to move the Water levels to the end as bonus levels. Not my favorite. But now days with the exception of the level that takes me like six minutes, I can get through the others in around two.

Bubsy is kinda a time warp now. I pop it in, hit play, and it is 45 minutes later when the game is done. ;)

• Like 1

Hello all - I have returned to the thread that never ends. :) Tonight, after having played Bubsy: Fractured Furry Tales off and on for twenty years now, I have finally reached THE FINAL LEVEL. Level 15.

I got my Jag set up at a new place and popped in Bubsy for some memories. I had the level codes written in the manual all the way up to level 12, but over the past few days, I played through every level to see if I could still beat them. Took awhile, but I finally got there.

Then I realized why I never got past level 12 - THE F'ING LOBSTER!! Hahaha. Getting through the entire (LONG) level and then blowing 9+ lives on the lobster boss is a little disheartening. But then I guess I practiced enough to finally beat him this afternoon.

Level 13 and 14 were good fun. I may be up the rest of the night playing...

Then I remember this thread and had to stop by. Apparently, the last time I posted on this topic was almost a decade ago. Lots of interesting news since then.

Anyway, I'll never get as good as DoctorClu, but at least I am FINALLY GOING TO FINISH THIS GAME!! Hopefully.

Edited by graywest
  • Like 3