IGNORED

Bubsy - Your opinions

superjudge3

Its not mother goose in the cage. Its the wicked witch !

Well yeh. :D That is what the source said. I was just going along with the final storyline in the manual:

"BUBSY & GRETEL

Those sugar-coated brats are back and they've turned the forest into a giant cake! Can Bubsy avoid indigestion as he snacks his way through killer cutlery, deadly doughnuts and crushing cookies? Hansel and Gretel have captured Mother Goose. It's up to Bubsy to free her and set Fairytaleland back to normal."

Did the "witch" have a different look at one time? Mother Goose/Witch doesn't look so evil (or even old) in the current version.

Edited by doctorclu

I've thought about making a new manual for Fractured Furry Tales. Add a little comic book story and have it more in the style of the manuals of the first and second Bubsy games.

In that manual I was going to draw attention to the fact that Bubsy's "!" is the wrong color. (Yeh, we know why in the source code why that was as I mentioned a few message back) Also kick out the Mother Goose angle and make it clear the lady in the cage is a witch who when Bubsy saves her at the end, restores his "!" back to red. In the final picture the "!" on the shirt is red again.

Anyway, the whole witch verses Mother Goose thing has got me thinking.

• Like 1

Could someone compare this game to Zool 2 and Rayman please? I've always been curious about it but I've never played the series. I just bought a copy off of Ebay for $7 w/box & instructions.

What should I expect?

I guess I should have asked this before I bought it. icon_mrgreen.gificon_mrgreen.gificon_mrgreen.gif

A lot of people seem to really hate it, but it's one of my favourite platformers, only behind Sonic really... It plays fast, the graphics aren't too bad, and I quite like the music and challenge of the game (and there are some fantastically awful cat puns the whole way through XD). I'd say better than Zool 2 (though I've only played the Amiga version with a one button joystick, in fairness) and, dare I say, the game I would play over Rayman? I personally very much like Rayman, I own the PSX version, but I find it a brutally hard game, although it's graphics are FAR superior to Bubsy's. For how much you've paid, well, you'll certainly get $7 of value out of it :) I know not everyone likes it very much, but I find it enjoyable enough

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have lost 40 or so lives on that lobster. At one time! I killed it once, but I have no idea how I did it.

As I recall, you have to hit the lobster about 12 times on the tail. The antenna and claws will pop Bubsy, so you have to avoid them. I usually ended up beating the lobster by double-pouncing on the tail six times. And I usually had to get a running start from the left edge to leap all the way over the lobster. Sometimes the lobster would keep advancing, and I could hit it on the tail four or even six times consecutively before having to glide back over to the left side and in front of it again. It certainly is a difficult boss to conquer, but doable. Just very exacting with little room for error.

• Like 1

Doesn't that describe the entire game?

Well more so with the Lobster. Nothing quite like giving you a boss that takes up most of the screeen and then removing part of that screen.

Over time while the Lobster is hard the Giant is just stoopid. To matter the fact nearly twenty years of playing this game and my more hated enemies are mermaids (because they usually place them just above sight and they move so slowly it is hard to see them at times), and the Giant. The Giant for the reason that you can land on him just right and still die. :P

Here is more recent times I like to joke that the original Bubsy creator, Michael Berlyn, is the older man piloting the giant robot. Nothing to support that of course, more a gaming joke.

And could the old man in the giant robot also be Bubsy's goofy version of Dr. "Eggman" Robotnik?

What can I say? I've always daydreamed while playing games.

Edited by doctorclu

• 2 months later...

Bubsy on twitter, as Accolade is getting to release a new Bubsy game on Halloween, makes an Atari Jaguar reference..

-----------------------

post-4709-0-25637900-1503884663.png

Link for ordering new Bubsy game for the PS4...

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/bubsy-the-woolies-strike-back-purrfect-edition/152930

Edited by doctorclu

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 9/30/2012 at 12:47 AM, jeremiahjt said:

I made it all the way to the right and there is an interior castle/turret section, but I don't know how to get in it. Are there any warps or teleporters in that level or anything?

I took a pic of the Bubster standing on the last cloud and a short video. Here is the pic, but I'm having problems with the video.

post-5831-0-03998900-1348984025_thumb.jpg

Happy to say the mystery of what is in that room has been solved!

1 hour ago, jeremiahjt said:

Amazing!  Now you have to do a video getting there as any explanation cannot match actually seeing it done.

Yeh I kinda know how to get there (as I say in the article) but getting it where I can go there at any time will take some practice.   Exciting to finally see that room though eh?  :D

Bubsy-Hidden.thumb.jpeg.54154cc6abb1fd6a36daf6cde1d26614.jpeg

30 minutes ago, doctorclu said:

Yeh I kinda know how to get there (as I say in the article) but getting it where I can go there at any time will take some practice.   Exciting to finally see that room though eh?  :D

Bubsy-Hidden.thumb.jpeg.54154cc6abb1fd6a36daf6cde1d26614.jpeg

Indeed. Maybe this will give me the motivation to beat this game in one sitting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, doctorclu said:

Awesome! It must feel like opening King Tut's tomb - you've gotten into a room that probably no one has seen in decades... ?

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, graywest said:

Awesome! It must feel like opening King Tut's tomb - you've gotten into a room that probably no one has seen in decades... ?

You know, it feels EXACTLY like that.   A room difficult to find, difficult to get into... seeing all those items was like seeing King Tut's Tomb.   Still wondering if there are items in the upper middle of the room that I didn't map.  Hmm...

Hope to get in there again next time I fall through the map floor.

• Like 1

Well I started playing Bubsy again. The first time I did not even make it past the first stage. The second time I died immediately so I restarted and the third time I made it to stage four. Almost got to stage five, but I forgot about that ant the hangs out at the endpoint.

I was shocked to see I was not even in first place on the high score table. My 639,000 was behind my wife's 684,000! I did not remember that at all. I think when I made it to the lobster that one time starting from the beginning I really was not trying for points so my score was not as high as it could have been.  I do remember my wife making it to the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea levels and she racked up the points better than me.

• Haha 1

I played the first Bubsy game on an emulator not too long ago and I didn't enjoy it. The graphics were very nice, the music was okay, but the gameplay was just bad in my opinion. It was floaty and I didn't feel like I was doing anything. Granted, I only played through level 1 and that's it, so I'll need to play it more to get a better opinion on it, but man, that was an awful first impression.

UPDATE: played through a little bit again, still bad.

Edited by Magmavision2000
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Magmavision2000 said:

I played the first Bubsy game on an emulator not too long ago and I didn't enjoy it. The graphics were very nice, the music was okay, but the gameplay was just bad in my opinion. It was floaty and I didn't feel like I was doing anything. Granted, I only played through level 1 and that's it, so I'll need to play it more to get a better opinion on it, but man, that was an awful first impression.

UPDATE: played through a little bit again, still bad.

I'll admit, it is a game that grows on you.  You start off dying a lot, over time you just get more and more tricks, especially playing it fast.  Becomes it's own challenge.

But I do remember getting throw the controller at the screen frustrated a few times.   Luckily I had a tougher heavy CRT back then.  :P

Made it to stage 6 tonight. Lost about a dozen lives to the giant. Three or four times I inexplicably died on the seventh hit. I could have beat him with the continue loop, but my second time through I missed it trying to get to the secret room. I accidently touched a checkpoint and could not work my way back to the continue. The game ended up at the fourth position on the high score table with 480,000 or something.

The first time I ran into one of those stupid snails it killed me, how embarrassing. I had forgot about those caterpillars that give you the super jump. I usually just avoid them though.

One thing I did learn that I do not think I ever knew is that you get an extra life when you collect 500 balls. Is it possible to get 1,000 in any level to get another extra life?

JeremiahJt, looks like all but level 4 has the ability to get at least 500 balls for an extra life.  

Level 1: Password 111111

801 Balls.  (Robert R)

Level 2: Password 392652

903 balls. (Robert R)

Level 3: Password 458227

729 balls. (Robert R)

Level 4: Password 958936

456 balls. (Robert R)

Level 5: Password 739294

652 balls. (Robert R)

Level 6: Password 184792

1,029 balls.  (Robert R)

Level 7: Password 812615

509 balls. (Robert R)

Level 8: Password 781367

718 balls. (Robert R)

Level 9: Password 126712

791 balls. (Robert R)

Level 10: Password 236721

1,095 balls. (Robert R)

Level 11: Password 673167

1,315 balls. (Robert R)

Level 12: Password 792323

1,332 balls. (Robert R)

Level 13: Password 672328

1,168 balls. (Robert R)

Level 14: Password 782389

721 balls. (Robert R)

Level 15: Password 672345

893 balls. (Robert R)

• 1 year later...

Gotten in about a game a month lately.  The scores below were made since I got the Game Drive.   Bubsy doesn't have numbers for the high score, much like Joust I found out last night, so I use letters for numbers.

I = 1

Z = 2

E = 3

F = 4

S = 5

G = 6

L = 7

B = 8

P = 9

Just moved, but for the first time since the move in I zipped through a game.   Having played Bubsy here, it is officially now home.  :D

20210927_211719.thumb.jpg.b2bd8bbef25bc06deeed34304f464bc7.jpg