IGNORED

Bubsy - Your opinions

superjudge3

On 9/30/2021 at 2:43 AM, Buffalo Biff Burgertime said:

@doctorclu How many times have you been Bubsy for Halloween?

Never for Halloween.  I know, I'm shocked too.

It has been cool the Bubsy advertisements that Accolade did for Bubsy for the last two games for Halloween.

For Woolies Strike Back they did this one...

For Paws on Fire they featured this one with all the playable characters on Twitter...

https://twitter.com/BubsyThe_Bobcat/status/1057439917444259840

1800409558_ScreenShot2021-10-01at2_09_26PM.png.478742ce6f3f2fe36b0da8cc9638ec1f.png

It is obvious the promo people for Bubsy were big Marvel fans as he keeps dressing in Marvel costumes ...

1750896916_ScreenShot2021-10-01at2_15_04PM.thumb.png.bf1515d6d72327d61b24f20f6cbdf578.png

A couple years ago I tried pretty hard to get as far as I could in Bubsy 3 for Jaguar, but I just couldn't defeat the first boss. It's great that it uses passwords though because people share those and I could try some later levels even if I'm stuck on that boss.

I found The Woolies Strike Back to be a huge improvement in play control compared to any of the four classic games. I was only disappointed in how short it was and how few level tropes there were. I beat that game but just didn't 100% it.

I really think the Jaguar could have benefited from more than just a couple console exclusive platformers. Bubsy 3 and Zool 2 are pretty much it, Rayman ended up being only a timed exclusive that ended up on Playstation and Saturn, and everything else was also on Genesis/Sega CD (Flashback, Pitfall The Myan Adventure).

These days homebrewers don't do much to expand the genre's availability on Jaguar either. So far all I've noticed were the two Dizzy ports.

I wonder if Gex would be technically possible on Jaguar if 3DO was able to handle it. Even if the music had to be converted to chiptune.

Edited by TheGameCollector
  • Like 1

On 10/7/2021 at 2:22 AM, TheGameCollector said:

A couple years ago I tried pretty hard to get as far as I could in Bubsy 3 for Jaguar, but I just couldn't defeat the first boss. It's great that it uses passwords though because people share those and I could try some later levels even if I'm stuck on that boss.

I found The Woolies Strike Back to be a huge improvement in play control compared to any of the four classic games. I was only disappointed in how short it was and how few level tropes there were. I beat that game but just didn't 100% it.

I really think the Jaguar could have benefited from more than just a couple console exclusive platformers. Bubsy 3 and Zool 2 are pretty much it, Rayman ended up being only a timed exclusive that ended up on Playstation and Saturn, and everything else was also on Genesis/Sega CD (Flashback, Pitfall The Myan Adventure).

These days homebrewers don't do much to expand the genre's availability on Jaguar either. So far all I've noticed were the two Dizzy ports.

I wonder if Gex would be technically possible on Jaguar if 3DO was able to handle it. Even if the music had to be converted to chiptune.

Gex probably would have music and voice would of been issues on cart, maybe cd.

The problem was outside of Rayman, all platforms on jag look 16 bit, even both versions of tiny tools, flashback, pitfall, bubsy, zool.

They were a tiny bit better but not enough to show off 64 bit or something that wasn't the same or better on the 16 biters.

Bubsy has bad level designs, most platforms start off easy and work way up teaching you new moves, Bubsy starts off hard with several spots you can't get past with out getting killed.

Also while bubsy was an exclusive I feel few are aware, maybe should of been called bubsy 3.

• 4 months later...

My opinion ... still the best platformer on the Jaguar, right after

- Rayman

- Another World

- Flashback

- Pitfall

- Alice Moms Rescue

- Asteroite (not even played it ... but is MUST be better than Bubsy)

- Zool 2

- (please insert your future homebrew project here, #1)

- (please insert your future homebrew project here, #2)

- (please insert your future homebrew project here, #3)

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, evisu said:

My opinion ... still the best platformer on the Jaguar, right after

- Rayman

- Another World

- Flashback

- Pitfall

- Alice Moms Rescue

This was kinda funny up to this point.

7 hours ago, evisu said:

- Asteroite (not even played it ... but is MUST be better than Bubsy)

- Zool 2

- (please insert your future homebrew project here, #1)

- (please insert your future homebrew project here, #2)

- (please insert your future homebrew project here, #3)

?  

And thanks for sharing YOUR opinion.

8 hours ago, Isgoed said:

Ha! that's nice.

:D  Thanks, Bubsy's first and second game under Accolade had a promotional shirt, but sadly his run under Atari and the limited marketing budget didn't get one.   A real shame.   Quite a few Jaguar games could have used a good T-shirt.   Iron Soldier, Tempest 2000, AvP are a few others that come to mind.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/3/2022 at 9:17 AM, doctorclu said:

New Fractured Furry Tales Speedrun time... 33:25

Excellent run. I love how you have to walk into the end level marker slowly so you do not release any balls.

Question on possible improvement; when we had our competition to see how many enemies we could kill at the beginning without touching the ground we were moving pretty fast. Could you use that up to the point where you have to ascend to trip the light? And maybe even use a big bounce to get up there quicker?

Edit: Nice, got the Giant on the first try.

Edit 2: First death in Ali Baba area, didn't cost too much time though.  Nice use of dieing to revert to a checkpoint in the Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea levels.

Edited by jeremiahjt
Watched more of the video
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

Excellent run. I love how you have to walk into the end level marker slowly so you do not release any balls.

HA, you noticed that.   Yeh, I also worked not to hit the multi-balls throughout the game too.   More balls collected only means more time spent between levels when they are counted.

4 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

Question on possible improvement; when we had our competition to see how many enemies we could kill at the beginning without touching the ground we were moving pretty fast. Could you use that up to the point where you have to ascend to trip the light? And maybe even use a big bounce to get up there quicker?

An excellent idea which I was wondering too.   Just trying something new not bopping those at the beginning as they end to take a second per enemy flying up in the air.  But I think just skipping from enemy to enemy did go quicker.

18 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

I just visited @superjudge3's member page and he has not even visited AtariAge in over 9 years. I wonder if he will ever come back and see his Bubsy topic still going strong.

It was a great topic with some great history so I just respond here.   How many Bubsy threads do we need?

But it would be hilarious to see SuperJudge3's reaction to this still going.

On 6/8/2008 at 1:48 AM, doctorclu said:

I've started a Bubsy Bobcat blog here on Atariage that will feature all the pictures I can find of the Bobcat..

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...blogid=234&

Thought I would post that link rather than filling up this message with the pictures. :D

I started re-reading this.  This thread inspired the Bubsy Fan Blog, predating it by two years.   Between here and youtube I have a good account of how I improved at a game and those interested in Bubsy fandom.   Wish I had more of the early early days from 1999 to 2005, but it would just me dying a lot.

I guess for that we have the James & Mike Mondays video and ones like it where people die a lot and cuss a lot playing this game.

Soo much cussing and throwing the controller in the early days. 

• 6 months later...

Back in 2012 Jeremiahjt jumped across clouds to explore the forgotten room in the upper left hand corner of the castle level (the sixth level).  The clouds did not lead to the room, but man that was some amazing jumping!

2017 we confirmed there were no warp gates to the room.

2020 we entered that room.

And earlier this year more ways were found to make it to that room in various ways of clipping the levels to fall through the floor.

And 2022 going into 2023... hey, let's just have a version with a hole in the floor!

As you watch this video, the way the game works is... for whatever reason, after like 30 seconds it pushes you up to the top of the screen, and after like 20 seconds drops you.   Weird stuff.  Just letting you know as far as I know there is no controlling that part.

Thanks to a lot of help from a lot of people to help me understand the various pieces involved, and that includes the original programmer Seedy1812 himself... I found a way to hex hack the maps!  :D

20221230_110315.thumb.jpg.80f881c67c6d31cfa71160d50e4bd0bd.jpg

I'm sure better ways will be found to do this, but here we are in the meantime, a version of Bubsy where you can freely get all the lives in that room and carry on in your own merry way.   In short, this now adds that room to this level.

And maybe for Jeremiahjt I'll add more clouds leading up to it. 

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!

Bubsy - Fractured Furry Tales_Secret Room Ed.rom

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tonight was able to paste in different mods into the Bubsy rom.  Was fun.  Currently asking the authors of those mods if they mind their song being added to a free fan hack.   If approved, I'll release that.

In the meantime, just having fun modifying and re-adding files to this rom.   I would like to make the exclamation point on the Bubsy sprite a solid orange rather than a null field.  

What program was even used for the sprite editing I wonder?    Or the better question, what program could I use to edit the sprite files?   I can view them with JagView, but to edit?

So this year Bubsy will turn 30 years old on May 4th of this year (release of Bubsy: Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind).  

And December next year Bubsy: Fractured Furry Tales will turn 30 as well.   So I would like to put together a bit of a 30th anniversary version.  

That is to say, some improvements, a new soundtrack if we can hear back from the MOD authors I've reached out to in the next two years.

OR we could get submissions of either other mods that people have heard (and seek permissions) or ones they've written!

Here are the MODs I'm asking about so far if anyone is curious or know these author.

I had to find mods that were written by ProTracker and 4 channel or less.  Oh, and less than 90k on average.

I really like the Alice and Water levels so far, but what do you think?

Intro:

https://api.modarchive.org/downloads.php?moduleid=173102#paradize-introtune.mod

A cute theme to start with.

Alice in Wonderland World:

https://api.modarchive.org/downloads.php?moduleid=85488#kommoder_paa_krack_.mod

This one I like because it has a "Claws Encounters" first level feel, but with a little bit of original FFT first world feel.

At the very least I hope this one can stay.  :D

Jack In the Beanstalk World:

https://api.modarchive.org/downloads.php?moduleid=124333#evil_within.mod

Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves World:

https://api.modarchive.org/downloads.php?moduleid=97549#exorcist-hydra.mod

Got the Arabian feel, a bit funky which is kinda nice.   The music levels out after the first 50 seconds.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea World:

https://api.modarchive.org/downloads.php?moduleid=120280#lucky_sunday.mod

I like how this sets the aquatic mood of being underwater.

Hansel and Gretel World:

https://api.modarchive.org/downloads.php?moduleid=105142#amiga_1200_rawks.mod

Maybe a bit too electronic, but also has the faint ting like a ice cream truck.

Game Over Screen:
https://api.modarchive.org/downloads.php?moduleid=116518#ave_caesar.mod

High Score Screen:
https://api.modarchive.org/downloads.php?moduleid=100319#charts_remix.mod

--------
Honorable mention:
https://api.modarchive.org/downloads.php?moduleid=195783#loituma.mod

Loved this one, but this is where I learned that if it isn't ProTracker, and other limitations with the built in Mod Player, it won't work.

Maybe someone could give the exact specifications of the Mod Player in the early Atari Jaguar games (Bubsy, Raiden, etc).

As it is you wont be able to replace any files in the rom. The files are packed using ProPack ( RNC Rob Northern Compression ) and any changes will change in different file sizes  - so if they are bigger then just by copying over the data you will nuke the following file ) 

Edited by Seedy1812
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Seedy1812 said:

As it is you wont be able to replace any files in the rom. The files are packed using ProPack ( RNC Rob Northern Compression ) and any changes will change in different file sizes  - so if they are bigger then just by copying over the data you will nuke the following file ) 

I've definitely run into that already.  When changing the map file that was about 6186 bytes big, when I changed the file, even deleting elements on the map, the saved (before compression I believe) file was 6205 bytes in size.   I played with it a bit, but eventually I just deleted some of the items on the map, making a few walls and floors a little less thick in some areas.   Eventually I got the file down to 6184 bytes, said "Good enough".   Plugged the saved and compressed file on the compressed rom at exactly the same spot the map had been, and just padding a bit at the end, making sure the next file started where it was supposed to start.

And it all worked fine after that.

Would like to have Bubsy expound out a bit from a 2 mb rom to a 4 mb rom.   Make more wiggle room for additions.

Thanks for the info on the ProTracker.   Talked to Trev in the past and IMHO I think he cranked out the best version of Zool out there.

On 12/30/2022 at 11:39 AM, doctorclu said:

Back in 2012 Jeremiahjt jumped across clouds to explore the forgotten room in the upper left hand corner of the castle level (the sixth level).  The clouds did not lead to the room, but man that was some amazing jumping!

I would still like to make it to the end of the clouds that go to the left.  I cannot remember if that map proved there was nothing there or not, but I would still like to make it.  Maybe I can break down and use an emulator and save states instead of using real hardware.

8 hours ago, JagChris said:

Game not very fun.

Thank you for YOUR opinion.   It was a message that contributes to a conversation what you generally contribute to a conversation.

But thanks for your kind words for my friend, Sal Esquivel @KJMANN, mighty kind of you.

14 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

I would still like to make it to the end of the clouds that go to the left.  I cannot remember if that map proved there was nothing there or not, but I would still like to make it.  Maybe I can break down and use an emulator and save states instead of using real hardware.

I was going to add more clouds and you cloud climber would be the best to tell me where.  How about that?  :D

But you could now scale those clouds like you did AND jump into the side of the room.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JagChris said:

The topic is BUBSY, your opinions.

Now you're taking it a little personal with the attempted personal jabs.

Yes, thank you for your opinion.  And for your condolences for my friend.