IGNORED

Bubsy - Your opinions

superjudge3

Yep, I am with Isgoed, Trevor McFur was probably the closest cat like character that Atari had sole claim to. Would have liked Bubsy to be the Jaguar mascot, and the Bubsy Fan Blog plays with that a bit, but Trevor would have been the best bet.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I was looking over some of my older Bubsy Speedrun videos on Youtube from 2008 and thought "Geez... I've gotten better since then"

So here is the latest Bubsy 2014 Speedrun with new tips and tricks. Enjoy!!

http://youtu.be/uNHlQClNYv8

(video is uploading as I write this, so if the link does not work, just come back a bit later.)

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 1

I actually enjoyed this game back in the day. As mentioned, the first level was tough but was good practice cause the rest of the game is easier IMO. It was a tough game but no where As hard as like the Ninja gaiden series on the nes and more current vita/ps3 versions. Bubsy on the jaguar flaws:

Controls take time to be to cause if the jerky camera.

Graphics while nice and colorful - the animations are terrible and appears rushed

Sound is good except the quality could have been better

Overall a good game underated game cause its a bubsy title And most people didn't give it a chance since it's on the Jag and most people found it too difficult and couldn't pass the first stage.

I was looking over some of my older Bubsy Speedrun videos on Youtube from 2008 and thought "Geez... I've gotten better since then"

So here is the latest Bubsy 2014 Speedrun with new tips and tricks. Enjoy!!

http://youtu.be/uNHlQClNYv8

(video is uploading as I write this, so if the link does not work, just come back a bit later.)

Very impressive Doctor!

I can't stomach the entire video; 3/4 hr of pure Bubsy, however, I was impressed with your effective undertaking of the first world (Alice in Wonderland) and stopped watching during the second world (whatever that Jungle like design is supposed to be?).

One thing that still caught my eye is how badly designed the game is. Not so much the gfx, but just the level design and layout is terrible to look at and watch. Like a PD Amiga demo or something.

By comparison, I actually liked the original I had on SNES years ago, so it's not unsolicited Bubsy hate for the sake of hatin'...

• Like 1

I actually enjoyed this game back in the day. As mentioned, the first level was tough but was good practice cause the rest of the game is easier IMO. It was a tough game but no where As hard as like the Ninja gaiden series on the nes and more current vita/ps3 versions. Bubsy on the jaguar flaws:

Controls take time to be to cause if the jerky camera.

Graphics while nice and colorful - the animations are terrible and appears rushed

Sound is good except the quality could have been better

Overall a good game underated game cause its a bubsy title And most people didn't give it a chance since it's on the Jag and most people found it too difficult and couldn't pass the first stage.

I find it the most fun Bubsy game for a speed run. Bubsy (1) was the best produced, they put more effort into Bubsy 2 but ultimately didn't come off as well, and Bubsy 3 (Jaguar version) just had less of a market to try it. The Jaguar Bubsy game is often overlooked by Bubsy haters and reviewers.

Very impressive Doctor!

I can't stomach the entire video; 3/4 hr of pure Bubsy, however, I was impressed with your effective undertaking of the first world (Alice in Wonderland) and stopped watching during the second world (whatever that Jungle like design is supposed to be?).

One thing that still caught my eye is how badly designed the game is. Not so much the gfx, but just the level design and layout is terrible to look at and watch. Like a PD Amiga demo or something.

By comparison, I actually liked the original I had on SNES years ago, so it's not unsolicited Bubsy hate for the sake of hatin'...

Thanks! Thought you'd like it since you seem to be into platformers and especially on the Jaguar lately.

The level design is long and linear. I have played Bubsy for years so I am used to it, but many have gotten frustrated on how the levels go on and on. Over the years I have found shortcuts (as you can see in the video) and most levels I can complete in about three minutes or less.

But I do remember times in the early days not knowing where to go and running out of the nine minutes they give you to complete the level.

So how far have you gotten into Bubsy on the Jaguar?

• 5 months later...

The Bubsy Bobcat blog is at 99,920 views.

Help be one of the last 80 people to help us reach 100,000 views!

Latest edition posted today, the Russian versions of the Bubsy Bobcat game.

http://atariage.com/forums/blog/234/entry-11234-cruizin-ahead-october-2014-preview/

That is so cool. Remember JUMP high, GLIDE down on the opponents. Go SLOW until you are familiar with where the opponents are.

Keep it going. I remember Bubsy was VERY hard at first, but now days I can play all fifteen levels in about 40 minutes. It does get easier. ;)

That's cool Travistouchdown. I'll just say this, remember Mechwarrior years ago on the PC. Apparently (according to my girlfriend) had mechs that had different controls. Some where easy to learn, and other mechs took longer to learn but were more versitile in their movements?

Bubsy is that way. Wild controls that are not like other platformers, but very versitle once you get the hang of them.

When I was writing on the Bubsy blog remembering when I first got the game I was getting my a$$ handed to me, but I was with kids of a friend of mine and we would enjoy watching Bubsy knock on the glass, run into things, etc. But remembering back those days were difficult. Then I proceeded SLOWLY, walking up to an opponent, jumping, and GLIDING down on them. And ... success!! I didn't die as much. :P You have to maintain control in movement and get used to where the enemies can be hit.

Here are the advantages of Bubsy over other games:

1) People say when you die in Bubsy you start over? I have found many games where this is much more true. Bubsy actually has markers, book marks, where you come back to that spot. Even better, you come back at the EXACT time you picked up the marker. So you can grab a marker at 9:00 minutes, play the level clearing all enemies for the next 8 minutes, die, and come back again with 9 minutes left, zip through to the end (now that enemies are gone) and get all kinda of crazy time points.

Of there is my favorite teleport trick. Grab a marker at a key point, then go through a bunch of stuff to get an objective then DIE, and rather than spending time backtracking to where where that marker was, you arrive back to that point with the next life. That trick shaves several minutes off on the water levels.

2) Bubsy Fractured Furry Tales has a level code for EACH level. Which means you can start anywhere in the game.

3) Bubsy starts with nine lives and has all kinda of lives all over the place and at least four continues throughout the game which give you nine more lives.

4) Bubsy does have an invincibility shirt he can grab that makes it where he can run through enemies for 10 seconds. Does not work against tacks, sea urchins, flames... yeh I know, I think they missed the coding on that personally because in other Bubsy games invincbility had no limits that I knew of. But the nice thing, every enermy you run through and take out adds up while under this effect. There is one point on level two where you plow through about fourteen opponents and by the time you are done the last opponent which would have normally been about 900 points is actually 5000 points. :)

And finally the payoff for me was the ongoing victories of playing Bubsy. First it was taking out single opponents and not dying, then learning how to take out Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle Dum.. a bit challenging at first as they have those sideways attacks and those balloons over them. Once you figure them out though they are nothing.

The next big hurdle, on that table next to tweedle dee you have to jump on top of cups that lead to the platform with a table that has the key to unlock the spikey wall. And that is where people get lost, and rightfully so. Even Angry Video Game Nerd had a problem with that. So I tell you that to avoid that initial frustration. Once you get past that wall from there it is basic exploration.

But Bubsy is one challenge after another... finishing level one, finishing the first set of levels and that Mad Hatter. there was a while where I didn't want to play past the Alice levels. Maybe that is a good trick. Get used to the controls and pace yourself.

Over time you'll get used to how the game works. The speed picks up and playing Bubsy is a rush because you can die at any wrong move, so when you CAN zip through, taking out enemies along the way and essentially using them as trampolines to quickly reach high objects, you feel that if you survived it was because you were simply that good. This game does you no favors so you really are that good. :)

And then over time it becomes more about not so much taking out one enemy, but in one jump and while still airborne (which you add up in points while airborne) if you can take out two at once, or three or four. There are many places in the game where you can line up three at once. Some people, and even myself finally, managed to take out ALL the opponents on the first level level from the first card/guard to Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum. Something like ten opponents in one jump! That was actually figured out by someone else and is a fun trick to pull off. And with those invincible shirts while it is still active how many enemies you can accumulate for a high score.

The game is actually quite a rush after a while. But take your time and know that EVERYONE that started this game had to start about the same with slowly walking up to opponents at first, hitting jump, and gliding down on them. And... HURRAY... you didn't die!! :P Nothing wrong with that, it only gets easier with practice.