IGNORED

Bubsy - Your opinions

superjudge3

After playing Bubsy for the HSC I'm really starting to enjoy it quite a bit. A lot more than I thought I would. The biggest gripe I have about it is the difficulty level. This game is hard! Especially some of the bosses.

The best thing about the game is the fact that enemies stay dead once you kill them, except for maybe the 5 ton carrying vultures, I'm not sure about them. I hate respawning enemies in just about any game, so it's really a nice touch here.

I'm not big into game music, but I do like Bubsy's music. I usually only notice it at the very beginning of the level.

If only Bubsy could be hit ATLEAST A FEW times before he died instead of once, I think it would drastically change people's opinion of this game.

That is basically how I feel. The game is fun outside of how incredibly easy it is to die and maybe the length of some levels. If you could take maybe 3 hits and the long levels were split in two Bubsy would be a fantastic platformer on the Jag. I am still going to try for a better score for HSC but it it weren't for HSC I don't think I would spend any serious amount of time playing it. I think Zool 2 is awesome and Rayman is one of the best games on the Jag. With those two games available Bubsy is too frustrating to warrant the time investment required to become good at it.

I hated this game a first, and really suck at it. But after playing for a while I still suck, And I cant stop playing the damn thing. Its such a easy game and if you just be careful you wont die.(Im not very good at that either) I just want to tell you guys that are turned off by one hit kills dont be. Its a very challanging game but its a lot of fun. I keep giong back for more. Take some of the tips from DR Clu and it is a lot of fun. :)

I hated this game a first, and really suck at it. But after playing for a while I still suck, And I cant stop playing the damn thing. Its such a easy game and if you just be careful you wont die.(Im not very good at that either) I just want to tell you guys that are turned off by one hit kills dont be. Its a very challanging game but its a lot of fun. I keep giong back for more. Take some of the tips from DR Clu and it is a lot of fun. :)

Now that is what I like to hear. :)

Looks like the high score club with Bubsy really turned around the opinions of many on this game. Good to see.

I understand what many have said for years, that a good game is one that you can pick up and fly with. Regrettably the Jaguar does not have many games like that. Seems they are more along the lines of "Once you get the hang of it..."

Bubsy is a step above that even. Bubsy is insanely hard, AT FIRST. Then at some point, it all somehow clicks, and then the difficulty level just levels out and Bubsy flies at that point. And yes, the game replay is high after you reach that point. :D Neat to see people discovering what I discovered.

And seems to be many here are saying about a week to two weeks to get past that initially learning curve or hump. Sounds about right. Really just a matter of figuring out how to jump up real high, FLOAT down, and where exactly you can hit opponents on their head. The hit area is kinda specific and a bit narrow, so that just takes a bit of getting used to. Again as many have said, about a week or so. Then it flies after that.

• 6 months later...

After months of being busy with other things I got the urge to set back up the Jaguar yesterday. I managed to get mostly through Bubsy. Hansel and Gretel kicked me around pretty good.

Tonight I played the game all the way through... twice.

Started realizing that the Jaguar Bubsy game engine has basically all that you would want for a Bubsy (original) game.

Most of the animations are there.

You have enemies that throw things being the snakes throwing eggs on Bubsy 3 (what I call the Jag game) and Whoolies throwing pastries on Bubsy 1.

You have enemies that drop things (Vultures on Bubsy 3, Birds on Bubsy 1).

You have the ability to push an object, though I have yet to find where that works in Bubsy 3.

Youn have things that spring you up (like the tents in Bubsy 3 in the Ali Baba levels, vs the trees in the beginning of Bubsy 1).

You also have something like the man hole covers that fly up for a second like in Bubsy 1, for Bubsy 3 that would be the bottle tops in levels 13-15.

I believe most of the dying sequences are there.

Now if I could figure out how the boundaries work on the Bubsy in game map works, and later decompile Bubsy 1, we might be able to get some of the detail in a Jag Bubsy 1 game.

Fun to day dream. I just like the sharp feel of the Jaguar Bubsy game engine over the other Bubsy game engines. Playing the alternate maps would be fun.

Need to start digging through the decompile of Jag Bubsy again and see what is possible.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I played this for about 30 minutes when it was brand new.. I think its time I get my hands on it again!

Sounds good. Doing some crazy things over the holiday week off myself. Let me know if you need any pointers or you get stuck somewhere, or just look for my play throughs of game on Youtube... just look for DoctorClu

I played this for about 30 minutes when it was brand new.. I think its time I get my hands on it again!

Sounds good. Doing some crazy things over the holiday week off myself. Let me know if you need any pointers or you get stuck somewhere, or just look for my play throughs of game on Youtube... just look for DoctorClu

Thanks man! I have viewed some of your vids before actually! I am a fan

• 5 months later...

Alright, Bubsy is kicking my ass. I havent even beat level one YET.

I have picked up one thing though, being cautious and patient I seem to get a bit further than usual.

I do like the fact that enemies I have killed do not return after I leave or die.

So any further luck with this?

Ok, I have a question that perhaps I need to ask the producer of the Bubsy game. I tried to debunk this on the Bubsy Bobcat wiki entry, but on the Jaguar game it is said

"A bonus level was available for collecting all of the jewels. This level consists of the seven dwarves from Snow White and would last until the timer ran out"

Now I have decompiled (with help) the Bubsy source and I am about 98% sure that secret level is not there. But has anyone else heard about this secret level?

Does bubsy have any cheat codes for it? Like being indestructable. I know you can choose a level, IIRC (with codes).

As far as I know, no. Perhaps something I could ask the producer of the game sometime this week.

• 3 months later...

Well reading all this Bubsy talk made me pull it out of the closet for a second spin.LOL i cant get threw the first lvl dam sure does get fun after awhile though.I got to the end or what i thought was the end of lvl one and the stage kept going seems lvl 1 in itself is long as hell i wish they would have put,a save marker in this stage.Also i was wondering do you have to play this game completly through or does it have any save feature ?

...i wish they would have put,a save marker in this stage.Also i was wondering do you have to play this game completly through or does it have any save feature ?

Well there are two markers in the first level. I made a map of the first level and the places with the exclamation points are where were the saves are.

post-4709-0-19650800-1319162372_thumb.jpg