IGNORED

Legacy of the Wizard on NES

I'm wondering how many other people like this underappreciated game from Broderbund as much as I do (it's been discussed on these boards recently but I don't remember where). For some reason, it's one of the few games of its kind that was really able to hold my attention and remain interesting. Its world always seemed so gigantic to me, it was full of challenging puzzles, I liked the different varieties of magic, and I liked the fact that the different characters all had different strength/traits that had to be used in certain places and in certain ways to complete the adventure. None of this was entirely unique, I know, but LOTW seemed to bring it all together perfectly.

I'm bringing this up now because I've noticed that a few folks have begun sharing their video game maps, and I thought I'd do the same with LOTW. I started putting these together some years ago, but I recently found them again and have slowly begun finishing them. Here's the first piece (it's a 1024x768 PNG):

LegacyOfTheWizardMap_1.PNG

Awesome thread about an awesome game.

I really wish more people appreciated the brilliance of Legacy. I've said many times that it has probably the best music on NES bar none. It's also the first game I know of that had five playable characters each with completely different and essential abilities.

I beat this legitimately in 1990 or so for the first and only time and it stands today as the gaming achievement that I'm most proud of. The day I finally got the sword and set off with Roas into the dungeon for the last time to battle the dragon will be long remembered. Tough as titanium nails this game. My main strategy was to always send down Poochie (the little pink dino) to explore since he was immune to monster attacks. I'd map out as much as possible with him, then send in the appropriate family member to get to the areas he couldn't and find a crown if possible.

I dig your map, is there more? I must admit I don't think I have the patience to go through Legacy top to bottom again, but if you have maps of the four major crown areas, I'd be likely to use them to see if I can beat it one more time all these years later

I dig your map, is there more? I must admit I don't think I have the patience to go through Legacy top to bottom again, but if you have maps of the four major crown areas, I'd be likely to use them to see if I can beat it one more time all these years later.
There is more, but I haven't mapped the entire game yet. I had thought of arranging screenshots into 1024x768 "tiles" like that one, and shrinking them and pasting them together into one (very large) map once I get the whole thing. That was just the first piece; I'll post the others as soon as I can find them.

There is a definite need to make a map of this game. It's like a calling really, one of those little projects that is always at the back of your head and that you know you want to do sometime in the future, unless someone else beats you to it.

I rented Legacy long ago, and I loved it but never managed to finish it. It really is a massive game in terms of all the travelling you need to do with each character, and every second of it is pure fun!

Among the other NES classics that would make nice mapping projects: Deadly Towers, Blaster Master, and I'm sure I could come up with several others. :)

Anyway, I do hope that you will finish this wonderful map of LOTW! If you do, do let the rest of us know about it!

I've got a pretty complete Blaster Master map. It will take some tweaking, but I'll post it after the CinciClassic!

I LOVE the map for LotW!! Thank you. Lack of a good map has been the one thing keeping me from beating this excellent game.

Legacy of the Wizard:

http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/nes/lotw/

Blaster Master (partially complete):

http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/index.htm

Oh boy, now I feel really stupid ... those sites already include maps just like the one I was working on! They even use the same idea of indicating the items that are inside the treasure chests!

:dunce:

My hat's off to whoever created those maps; I know from putting together my two or three pieces how time-consuming it is to assemble those screenshot graphics. Good job on the maps for Blaster Master (another NES favorite of mine), too, although I have spotted one small omission in the Area 1 map: there is a small platform hidden just below the ceiling in the "outdoor" portion of the map that has a few powerups on it. It isn't accessible without all the enhancements to your tank (you have to drive upside-down on the ceiling for a while to get to it), so the artist might not have realized it was there.

That game was part of the Dragon Slayer Series wasn't it? Has anyone played the other games in the series? How do they stack up?

You're most certainly correct, Mark. In Japan for the MSX1, MSX2 (better geraphics ver.), and FamiCom (where it was distributed by Namco under the name "Namcot") it was "Dragon Slayer IV: the Dralse Family". So I can pretty much guarantee anything you know about LotW here, will instantly translate to DS4.

But yeah, the game is one of the most entertaining and challenging titles on the NES I've played. The fact I made it without using a single password.. THAT was something I was proud of.

Want to see a game map you won't see anywhere else? Try this link for your viewing pleasure! :D

Yep, I made that myself, a couple of years ago. Compare it to the real map of the Legend of Zelda on NES, and you'll see that everything is there. You may also notice that I'm using Game Boy Color graphics, but that the map is tailored for the screen resolution of the GBA. The only reason for that is that I prefer working with four-color tiles. :)

You may also notice that I'm using Game Boy Color graphics,

That must have been a lot of work considering. How exactly di you put this together? With graphics from Zelda DX?

Edited by figgler

That must have been a lot of work considering. How exactly di you put this together? With graphics from Zelda DX?

Essentially, yes. But some of the graphics, like the dungeon entrances, are my own artwork. It all came together, tile by tile, screen by screen. I put in well over 50 hours of work over several weeks to finish it.

An interesting anecdote about my Zelda map: I had a copy of it printed on paper, and I sent it to Nintendo Power, hoping it could get published in thumbnail form in their letters section. Instead, they returned it to me, saying that they couldn't accept game ideas from outside sources! I never said anything about making an actual game out of this, it was just a stupid poster!! :roll: