IGNORED

Time to eBay to require sellers to attend packing school?

classics

Ugh, did you buy that computer from someone on eBay? What did they use to send it in, a large envelope?! Does the computer work?

I wish it had the benefit of a bubble mailer, I think it would have done better. I did get it on eBay, waiting to hear what the seller thinks of this.

It was in a box, but with 6 1050 disk drives and an 800XL stacked on top of it, no packing material except a couple sheets of newspaper and a strip of cardboard.

I expect this kind of stuff from new eBayers, but this guy is a 99.9% positive power seller with 4500+ FB. :?

Steve

I expect this kind of stuff from new eBayers, but this guy is a 99.9% positive power seller with 4500+ FB.

This doesn't shock me too much. As time goes on, I've found little correlation between feedback, power seller status, or feedback percentage with quality of packaging -- regardless of the item being packed.

Sad.

That is pathetic. I would say I want a FULL refund. That is just uncalled for.

I agree, this guy decided to cut the cost by substituting bubble wrap for whatever he could find lying around the house, or he was just to lazy to buy the proper packing supplies. Either way I say full refund or slam him with bad feedback, no exceptions.

Well, the dumbest packing I've ever gotten from a seller is fiberglas insulation -- the kind you put in your walls. That surprised the hell out of me -- but I would rather have that than nothing at all.

Oh, and I can see it now -- the seller is going to say its your problem as you didn't buy the insurance?

I expect this kind of stuff from new eBayers, but this guy is a 99.9% positive power seller with 4500+ FB. :?

Steve

Those are the WORST sellers anymore. A few negs won't hurt them (if they even get them since they probably play the feedback hostage game and buyers dont leave appropriate feedback anymore) so they dont give a crap.

Well, the dumbest packing I've ever gotten from a seller is fiberglas insulation -- the kind you put in your walls.
Oddly enough, I've gotten that myself a few times.

Oh, and I can see it now -- the seller is going to say its your problem as you didn't buy the insurance?
I believe that's the first item on the checklist eBay hands out to sellers these days, even to those sellers who don't offer insurance and those who force bidders to pay for it and then fail to (or never intended to) purchase it themselves for an outgoing package...

Well, the dumbest packing I've ever gotten from a seller is fiberglas insulation -- the kind you put in your walls. That surprised the hell out of me -- but I would rather have that than nothing at all.

Thats horrible!! Unless you got a wall you are insulating!

I actually got that twice. The second time it looked like they pulled it straight out of their diseased house walls :woozy:

But at least in both cases - the insulation did protect the stuff. The worst "packaging" I've received so far is indeed the plastic shopping bag. Yup - a plastic shopping bag. And USPS actually put a postage label on it. I was sort of incredulous.

That is pathetic. I would say I want a FULL refund. That is just uncalled for.

I agree, this guy decided to cut the cost by substituting bubble wrap for whatever he could find lying around the house, or he was just to lazy to buy the proper packing supplies. Either way I say full refund or slam him with bad feedback, no exceptions.

Ditto!!!!

I had one similar experience where I earned my first negative (retaliatory) back in November from a seller who did a piss poor job at packing an auction I won.

I opened a claim with paypal but they wanted me to return the goods to the seller... hahahaha and the seller is in Canada.... Out $30.00 in shipping here for a poorly packed box and $30.00 back all out of my pocket expense, for what??

A full refund on the merchedise only??? I know that was her policy but I tried to negotiate in adddition to the refund on the goods as there were some old game caddies that I wanted out of this auction for my collection and she wouldn't budge.

If your seller is uncooperative, don't even boher as you will get a headache and a half... Prepare yourself to receive a retaliatory negative and roll with the punches.

Good luck... I hate these morons who jump the ebay bandwagon, charge and arm and a leg for shipping and pack things any old way.

jawdropper.gifJesus. I mean ... just ... jesus.

That guy needs three feet of good ol' boot up his ass.

And yes, power sellers are often the worst. They're too busy to do anything properly and they don't give a damn about negs; they amount to spitballs as far as affecting their overall percentage goes. He'd better give a full refund, and none of that "send it back at your expense" bullshit, nor "refund less shipping." You got useless crap in the mail and it's the seller's fault, so you shouldn't be out a dime.

The seller squirmed a little but I asked for and got a refund of a substantial amount, which I'm happy with since I get to keep the other items in the lot I was interested in. :D

I'll give the STFM motherboard to someone who needs it and call it even.

Steve

• 1 year later...
The worst "packaging" I've received so far is indeed the plastic shopping bag. Yup - a plastic shopping bag. And USPS actually put a postage label on it. I was sort of incredulous.

Not eBay, but when I was working at Viacom. Had to have to computer that was out in the field returned to us for repairs. It was a rack mount computer in a metal chassis. The idiot tech who shipped it to us just took the computer out of the rack, slapped a FedEx label on the side and shipped it like that. :roll:

I'm shocked the tech was so dumb, I was more shocked FedEx accepted it. Was even more shocked it actually made it the 2000 miles across the country and got to us intact with nothing being broken or stolen out of it.

EDIT: To those who need to send broken items back to get a refund. I've always thought it would be fun to play "Will it blend" with it, then send it back in a little letter envelope. :evil:

Edited by Artlover

Same things has happened to me atleats 5 times over the years. After the 2nd time, i decided I needed to send a note asking to "Atleast use Newspaper to cushion the items, I dont want electronics bouncing all over during shipment, thank you" and still Ive got 3 more packages over the years with NOTHING besides the items inside. Just the other day, and I wasnt even counting this but i got 4 NES games, in an envelope. An UNPADDED envelope :roll: !!! LOL... It amazes me how dumb people are and I try not to make them feel dumb in my note before shipment but they still amaze you with their IQs from time to time. I guess some cant read either LOL! ;)

I got a good one in the mail today. Asshole power seller with an ebay retail store. This was close to $500 shipped you would think for that kind of money they might use a little better packing. I would say they used a weekday newspaper at the most for the entire box. Way over 150 loose carts and systems in one big box. Thank god it was only in UPS for 1 day from Chicago to St louis. The box had a big split down the side but almost eveything was in the box and it all was near perfect. :D The only thing missing was Berenstein Bears and the tapes. After calling they said they did not have it and then the owner called and said he had found it at home. I think it was going to be a side deal with someone if I had not said something. I was lucky and I am very happy with the lot.

post-1807-1188490543_thumb.jpg

post-1807-1188490562_thumb.jpg

I got a good one in the mail today. ... but almost eveything was in the box and it all was near perfect. :D

Looks like some nice CV and rarer 2600 titles in there.

Earlier this week I got a poster from some bonehead who sent it poorly packaged, which resulted in some creasing of the print. I complained and got a 100% refund, so at least there was some responsibility on the seller's part. Too bad it was "injured" as I would have rather had it arrive in the mint condition in which it was sold.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a 50lb AV Receiver packed in a box only 1" larger than the item itself. It's completely banged up and I have yet to hear back from the seller. I think I'm screwed. It's from one of those "sell your stuff" services with 1700+ feedback.

Thats just stupid seriously wow

:/

refund

and

or find me a replacement to that lmao.

xD

If its expensive

i actually message and ask how theyt pack it :}

Ive done it before. sadly

when my portfolio was shipped it was slightly damaged,

now its picky when it works or not -.-'

But most of time it does work :)

just sometimes its like OH MY GODDD TURN ON

then i leave it for a day turn it on and works

=\

really people should respect things more...

As far as I know insulation used for walls qualifies as a unsafe packing material. (It has many restrictions because it can carry asbestos, molds, mildew, bugs, rodents etc) Whoever ships with that material is actually endangering you with their package and it could in a round about way be considered a health hazard and probably open the seller up to numerous legal actions.

The worst "packaging" I've received so far is indeed the plastic shopping bag. Yup - a plastic shopping bag. And USPS actually put a postage label on it. I was sort of incredulous.

EDIT: To those who need to send broken items back to get a refund. I've always thought it would be fun to play "Will it blend" with it, then send it back in a little letter envelope. :evil:

Way back when I did student work on a local newspaper (before sept 11) and we actually shipped a pair of panties, an orange, and a brand new bottle of Raid through the mail. Made for an interesting story. Lots of flack for the local post master as supposedly "none of those could be mailed, let alone without packaging"

Wouldn't it be great if you sent them a dvd with you grinding up their (insert poorly shipped item due to ignorance of seller) and then opened up the top of you blend tec blender and said, "(for example) 2600 smoke. Don't breathe this."

Edited by mnbren05